Loading the SECOND ballista 07/26/2018 08:34 PM CDT
Any help with the following?:

I'm in a room where there are two ballistas...

[Paupers Tower, West Defense]
A rough angled ceiling of blued steel plates arcs overhead, and light filters in through a large horizontal notch cut into the western wall, a ballista aligned in front of it. Planks of golden ruic wood make up the sturdy floor, and a grouping of arrow slits surround the central horizontal window. You also see an arched slitted window, a large pile of logs, a large pile of white logs, a gilded blued steel ballista, an arched slitted window, an arched slitted window, an arched slitted window and a gilded blued steel ballista.
Obvious exits: east

>look first ballista
The ballista looks to BE LOADED with a large sharpened log and appears to be drawn taut and ready to fire.

The ballista appears to be tilted to fire directly below its current position.

Additionally, it looks as if the ballista could be pointed north or east or southwest or northwest by turning it in the specified direction.

>look second ballista
The ballista is NOT LOADED with anything and appears to be untaut and not ready to fire.

The ballista appears to be tilted to fire directly below its current position.

Additionally, it looks as if the ballista could be pointed north or east or southwest or northwest by turning it in the specified direction.

>get log
Glancing at the ballista, you notice it's already loaded, and you can't really lug any of the logs any farther than a few feet.

>load second ballista
You must load something into your blued steel ballista.

>pull second ball
The ballista isn't loaded!

Any ideas out there on how to load the second ballista?

Oh- if you care to mess around with it- the tower is currently at the North Gate of Wehnimer's Landing.

Thanks!
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/26/2018 11:05 PM CDT

Have you tried Other Ballista?

Also, ae they all blued steel?

:D
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/26/2018 11:29 PM CDT
When all else fails and syntax befuddles me ... I click on the link to see if that will help me do it.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/27/2018 12:45 AM CDT

They are both gilded blued steel.

I have tried OTHER.

Also too, I've logged in using Stormfront to no avail via the links provided by that front end.

I sought and received an assist from to very punctual GameHosts, which resulted in their recommendation of posting of my question here- and also too, issuing a report via the bugroom command.

I know that when I first came to the tower all ballistas were loaded and ready to fire which leads me to believe that either the syntax for the proper commands exists, albeit not obvious and unintuitive, OR! when the tower was created the ballistas came all ready loaded.. which seems very unlikely but not necessarily untrue.

Thanks for all of your recommendations thus far- I hope the commands exist and if they do for them to be added to the town defense wiki.
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/27/2018 03:22 AM CDT
>I know that when I first came to the tower all ballistas were loaded and ready to fire which leads me to believe that either the syntax for the proper commands exists, albeit not obvious and unintuitive, OR! when the tower was created the ballistas came all ready loaded.. which seems very unlikely but not necessarily untrue.

Objects in a room tend to reverse order on a reload/reboot, so the second ballista was probably the first prior to the most recent crash/reboot.

I feel like this particular anomaly has come up for discussion before, but I can't seem to find a prior thread. Wonder if I dreamed it. Also wonder if a GM changing the adjective of one of the ballistae would help them be referenced directly for loading.

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/27/2018 07:25 PM CDT

The whole tower was a little buggy to begin with- for instance, when exiting the tower a player would end up on South Ring Road, however, the tower itself was positioned near the Reach.

Though I don't know the mechanics of how the GMs have this particular object coded, there might be a general check for the states of all ballistas before giving the message that a ballista can't be loaded when inputing the GET LOG command as a possible solution.
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/28/2018 03:06 AM CDT

> Also wonder if a GM changing the adjective of one of the ballistae would help them be referenced directly for loading.

Yeah- I see what you're saying. Changing the adjective might be a way of resolving the problem on their end. When objects have 1 way of saying how they are different- in this case, first or second, or maybe third or fourth when dealing with a room with a mob of similar creatures...

For example:

>[Someplaczes]
A thing, and another thing. Some stuff here. Some stuff here. The thing and thing. This thing is like this and this thing is not like this other thing. A very relatable verse of prose that makes you immediately nostalgic, and remember where this place is.
Also herebethey: someone, someone, someone, ohheyiknowthem, someone, someone, someone
Obvious paths: lasagna, pizza

In sorting through the 'someonesenoemos' only first, second, third, and so forth could be used. But some items have more than one distinction.

For example:

>get third someone
You already have that
>get third someone from my social-context
You remove a third someone from in your social-context

Maybe the problem is that the ballistas have two few 'qualifiers' and by changing the adjectives attributed to them would solve this problem.

I hadn't thought of it like that till you brought it up.

I hope it would work!
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/28/2018 05:47 PM CDT
Simply answered, you cannot access the second ballista. This is an issue with the ballista script being old enough to not expect two ballista in the same room, and therefore, the necessary commands will always default to the first one in the room until I can get time to update it. The issue exists in Ta'Vaalor as well, and those ballista do have different adjectives.

~Mazreth

"Mother should I trust the Government?"
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/29/2018 12:40 AM CDT

Is there any opportunity to help work on the script for the ballistas? It sounds like a fun problem.
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/29/2018 09:55 AM CDT
Fixing/updating the script isn't solely my domain if that's what you're asking. It's just something I've noted that needs updated since I have two ballista above Amaranth gate in Ta'Vaalor, and have been meaning to get to but haven't had time. Anyone with the desire and authority could certainly fix/update them.

~Mazreth

Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/29/2018 04:54 PM CDT

No- I'm sorry, I wasn't implying for you to fix it, I was asking if there is an opportunity for players to work on script bugs/errors/etc.
Re: Loading the SECOND ballista 07/29/2018 10:31 PM CDT
Ahh, unfortunately, there isn't.

~Mazreth