Prev_page Previous 1
Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/27/2016 05:16 PM CST
I wonder if like the now bygone profession gurus if it would benefit the game to re-evaluate or re-organize the approach to town gurus.

As someone who has been spending a lot of time in smaller towns, pretty much nothing has happened in several years where my characters live. If I want to get involved with storyline stuff, I have to go to other cities. Even the last invasion things that happened in River's Rest were basically spill-over from the Landing with a lot of the work done by Kenstrom as I understand.

My intent here is not to cast any of the GMs in a poor light, though maybe comparison with the amount of storyline and invasion work Kenstrom does is going to make a lot of people look bad by comparison! Haha.

I also understand clearly that it makes sense that one of the most active town gurus is stationed at WL where a large portion of the player base is located. I think this is fitting even if it wasn't by design. Though this draws even more people out of smaller towns where the communities would flourish much more from people flocking for storylines even once in awhile.

It's unfortunate that if we want to be involved with regular story lines or invasions in recent years, we're well advised to go where Kenstrom is. I feel like the game as whole would benefit more if the storylines were not only more encapsulating but moved around more. However, this can't really be possible without a GMs specifically tasked with "Storylines" and "Invasions" which the present system seems to partly leave under the domain of town gurus.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/27/2016 05:36 PM CST
If you start forcing GMs to do what they aren't interested in doing, you'll start losing GMs. It works the same way with DEV stuff, we've been told.

I figure I should also add that being a worldwide Invasion/Storyline guy is not at all the same thing as being the guru of Wehnimer's Landing. Though this is blatantly obvious, sometimes you need to spell things out.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/27/2016 07:11 PM CST
>If you start forcing GMs to do what they aren't interested in doing, you'll start losing GMs. It works the same way with DEV stuff, we've been told.

I didn't say anything about forcing any GMs to do anything.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/27/2016 07:25 PM CST
>I figure I should also add that being a worldwide Invasion/Storyline guy is not at all the same thing as being the guru of Wehnimer's Landing. Though this is blatantly obvious, sometimes you need to spell things out.

I understand Kenstrom is also a father and a husband. Is being the WL guru the same as either of those? What's your point? That someone who is capable and interested in being WL guru is necessarily incapable or uninterested in any other existing position as a GM, present or future?

I'm not saying who is interested in doing what. But GMs presently fill the roles that are available. Is there one and only one GM interested in being the Plat guru, and is that the only thing that GM is interested in? I doubt it; Wyrom was a previous Plat guru, for instance.

Although Kenstrom is a great example of someone who would probably do a great job at a position like "Storyline" or "Invasion" I'm quite sure there are other staff members that might be good at it too. And obviously we cannot get work out of nothing, so if we wanted a new position it only makes sense to possibly eliminate or consolidate some old ones.

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/27/2016 10:02 PM CST
>I understand Kenstrom is also a father and a husband.

Thats...ok? What a weird thing to say.

You're talking about doing away with a position that multiple GMs currently have, yet you're not trying to force them to do anything. Right.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/27/2016 11:20 PM CST
I think Daid is asking if the storyteller/leader positions can be separated more from other GM responsibilities so they can be done more frequently, and/or with more separation between this and the town guru role. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but that's how I read it.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 07:41 AM CST
I don't know how long you've been based in RR, DAID, but as someone that didn't have any characters above level 25 through out the Sankir storyline I will say be careful what you ask for. Risking almost certain death just going to the bank gets old after a couple weeks and gets downright maddening after a couple months (my empath actually had a gold ring set to the bank for a long time cause of that).

That said, it has been quite a while since I heard about any invasions or storylines taking place anywhere other then the Landing and it would be nice if more GMs (town gurus or not) had the time and interest in running them. They don't have to be on the scale of what Kenstrom's doing, mind you... smaller scale ones that only take a couple months can be loads of fun too.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 07:53 AM CST
>I think Daid is asking if the storyteller/leader positions can be separated more from other GM responsibilities so they can be done more frequently, and/or with more separation between this and the town guru role. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but that's how I read it.

Yes. Storylines and invasions seem to be extremely popular, and I think diversifying their locations, and particularly increasing them, would be a good thing.

I think Kenstrom has done a really awesome job bringing other cities in to his storylines, and it makes perfect sense that he keeps his focus near WL, because he's the guru after all.

>What a weird thing to say.

There was really nothing for me to do with the "blatantly obvious" statement that X is not Y. I think we all know they aren't the same thing. How is this a useful contribution to the discussion? What exactly is the implication here?

>You're talking about doing away with a position that multiple GMs currently have, yet you're not trying to force them to do anything. Right.

It would be unreasonable to ask for more of Y without any consideration for the fact that someone has to actually do the work, though people seem to do this all the time on the forums.

There would be infinite ways to shift what GMs do what tasks, and looking at the town guru system to get more focus on invasions and storylines only seemed natural to me as this is already one source of that type of influence in the game.

One basic way about it would be to (further) consolidate the gurus of some cities while putting some GMs specifically in charge of one aspect that was already part of their umbrella as a town guru. This is why I have called it reorganization.

Here's a table which might represent the present situation.

PersonTask ATask BTask XTask Y
Fred X X X X
Amy X X X X
Josh X X X X
Jan X X X X

Here is just one way to reorganize it:

PersonTask ATask BTask XTask Y
Fred XX XX
Amy XX XX
Josh XX XX
Jan XX XX

As you can see, all tasks are getting the same attention, and no one is doing a task they were not originally doing as part of their job. Whether it works for these people is highly subjective. It is claimed a reorganization is necessarily forcing them to do something. That's probably only true if you give a person more of the task they liked the least. However, considering how many ways it could be reorganized, I cannot believe the present layout is necessarily the only one agreeable to everyone; surely there are many acceptable solutions -- some that might be even better than the current one! I am not saying we force people to do anything, but it's true I'm not convinced that contemplating reorganization thusly implies as much; it's a very unimaginative stance to take.

The above also shows that, most likely, the reorganization would not lead to more Storylines or more Invasions. It might, however, spread them out a little more.

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 08:01 AM CST
>I don't know how long you've been based in RR, DAID, but as someone that didn't have any characters above level 25 through out the Sankir storyline I will say be careful what you ask for. Risking almost certain death just going to the bank gets old after a couple weeks and gets downright maddening after a couple months (my empath actually had a gold ring set to the bank for a long time cause of that).

I was around for a fair bit of that storyline as far as I recall. I think I managed to kill a corsair after about 20 focused implosions, but that was before they tracked your highest kill.

I agree many people don't necessarily like Invasions, and there should always be somewhere to go that isn't presently under invasion.

Even with the latest round of what Kenstrom did which affected RR (since we're on the topic) made it hard for people to get to Voln.

>it would be nice if more GMs (town gurus or not) had the time and interest in running them

I'm basically fine with this aspect, too. But then we have to address the issue of why it's not happening already. My naive assumption is that they either don't have the time or the interest (or both) to do it; otherwise it would have been done. So rather than telling people who haven't had either the time or the interest to do a specific type of work, I was wondering if reorganizing who is responsible for what was a better solution. Oddly, for that I get accused of wanting to force people to do something. Go figure.

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 08:44 AM CST

>>I figure I should also add that being a worldwide Invasion/Storyline guy is not at all the same thing as being the guru of Wehnimer's Landing. Though this is blatantly obvious, sometimes you need to spell things out.

+1

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 09:37 AM CST
Mule has a story going on right now with the mayor situation but not as noisy as the landing. Solhaven had one not to long ago involving a mad man from Mestanir. So there is things going on in other towns.

To me at least one of the biggest draws of the landing story is that there is history to it. There is a reason Hendor is there. There are reasons there are demons with the krolvin. Thats because the events have built up. That takes dedication to one place. If you make that GM rotate cities you will never be able to get that type of dedication needed. Each town has a guru so lean on that guru to do something.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 11:17 AM CST
>There was really nothing for me to do with the "blatantly obvious" statement that X is not Y.

Yeah, because what you're asking for is blatantly different from what the GM signed up to do. It's obvious. You didn't catch that and instead talked about a guy's family.

At the end of the day, the idea revolves around taking a position that GMs chose to do, eliminating it, and acting like this would suddenly result in more towns getting the attention of a dedicated GM. Instead, you'd at best gain generic interactions as the GM in question fills a time on duty quota by hitting the invasion button.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 12:50 PM CST
Dude, it's pretty obvious that Kenstrom likes doing invasions. If he didn't, the Landing would probably not be invaded nearly as much as it has been. If he was promoted to something like a general storyline/invasion position then he would get to do all invasions/storylines all the time.

Just, you know, maybe somewhere other than the Landing for a change to spread the love (or deaths) around.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 01:17 PM CST
>>There was really nothing for me to do with the "blatantly obvious" statement that X is not Y.

>Yeah, because what you're asking for is blatantly different from what the GM signed up to do. It's obvious. You didn't catch that and instead talked about a guy's family.

Actually, I did the same thing you did. I point out something true that seemed to be pretty irrelevant. I suppose I could have told you a rock is not a giraffe and you'd have picked up on the irony better?

Firstly, I think GMs get hired and assigned to teams, not the other way around. Obviously they are going to get assigned to things where their skills or interests are, but there are plenty of posts by GMs saying they work on things they are assigned to do rather than what they want. In any case, town guru GMs do a lot of storyline and invasion stuff. So you're just wrong I guess.

>At the end of the day, the idea revolves around taking a position that GMs chose to do

This is probably incorrect as well. Staff hires people, and they have open jobs. They discuss with the people they hire and try to find a good fit. If everyone only did what they wanted to do, why is we have exactly one town guru for each town, and when an old guru leaves, a new one is assigned. It is not a simple coincidence as you seem to think it is. You seem to assume that someone who took a job which has several parts wanted every part equally, where I assume this is unlikely to be the case, and they probably enjoy certain parts more than others.

>Each town has a guru so lean on that guru to do something.

Possibly. I wondered if there was a better way about this than getting after Xayle.

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 02:13 PM CST
>I point out something true that seemed to be pretty irrelevant. I suppose I could have told you a rock is not a giraffe and you'd have picked up on the irony better?

You doing so would be about on par with your grasp of what you're asking. Completely missing the point of the positions you're attempting to force GMs out of. I will admit I underestimated how obvious the comparison was as you keep missing it and claiming it is the same as rocks and giraffes. My bad.

If you think GMs have no say in what position they hold, especially for something so personal as a Town's guruship, there's really no point in continuing to entertain your suggestions. It's so far off the mark that all that's being accomplished is simply wasting time.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 02:16 PM CST
Is doing Storyline and/or Invasions in or near a town a town guru is in charge of part of their job, under the present system?

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 03:03 PM CST

Dude, it's pretty obvious that Kenstrom likes doing invasions. If he didn't, the Landing would probably not be invaded nearly as much as it has been. If he was promoted to something like a general storyline/invasion position then he would get to do all invasions/storylines all the time.

If you have been around for Kenstrom's story stuff then you probably wouldn't know about the tons of RP that comes with the invasions. yes he does random invasions but a lot of time there is build up to an invasion and a story behind the various actions. I think if he had to spread his work to all cities and you would lose that important part. The RP the story generates both with and without GM help, the way it helps to flesh out PC history and personalities, and how overall its evolved to the point where everyone gets involved is more important then a 1 month build up then invasion then move on to the next city.

Whats needed is not Kenstrom spreading what little time he has to all cities. Whats needed is more GMs to take the example and apply it to their own cities with their own twist to it.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 03:24 PM CST
>Whats needed is more GMs to take the example and apply it to their own cities with their own twist to it.

I'm clearly not opposed to this. But where do these resources come from? Whatever time GMs have available they are putting in.

That's why I brought this up under the framework of a theoretical reorganization rather than merely demanding everyone to work harder while I crack a whip.

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 03:41 PM CST
>If you have been around for Kenstrom's story stuff then you probably wouldn't know about the tons of RP that comes with the invasions.

I haven't been around for Kenstrom's invasions. My characters live in River's Rest and Zul, two towns that have not have had any invasions or storyline events for the last while.

That's why I would like it if an active GM like Kenstrom would expand his storytelling to other cities instead of just being confined to one city for the most part because for some reason, other town gurus don't seem to like doing invasions or storyline events.

That's the entire point here.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/28/2016 08:32 PM CST

>>My characters live in River's Rest and Zul, two towns that have not have had any invasions or storyline events for the last while.

Zul here.

IMHO, it makes sense that Zul does not get storylines or invasions. There is nobody actively here to take note and recognize it happened. From the GM perspective (and even from a Simu business perspective), it seems that would be applying the the wrong type of talent and resources to Zul. it makes sense that resources for invasion support be applied to the larger player-base communities. Even from a game-world perspective, the NPC focus is going to be on the places where characters congregate.

On the other hand, Zul has a LOT of room scene development that allows the few here to interpret world history in a different way. It is an under-appreciated perspective on World History that only someone who lives here (and studies here) could begin to understand. Perhaps this is the world history the past twenty years of GM's has intended for the continental dwarven.

From player perspective ... the dwarves of Zul remain the keep-to-themselves culture that allows the apparent lack of activity in town to blend well with the well-thought out development of the lesser known areas of Zul (some of which are beginning to appear on the wiki ... hint hint). We have a sense that real world history is regarded by most from the topsider cultures as mere myth, and that because of that, topsiders will almost always repeat the same old mistakes.

Clunk

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/29/2016 08:06 AM CST
If anything happened in Zul, people would probably come visit it more. It doesn't even have to be invaded (indeed, one of the signs outside Zul indicates that the lack of invasions is a plus), but just having any storyline sorts of things there at all would be nice.

Having absolutely no storyline or invasion type events happen in the small cities leaves the people who live there out of the loop for absolutely everything. I mean, RR has a community so as long as you're not around in the middle of the night you'll have the chance to interact with someone, but there hasn't been a storyline or invasion for years. The closest we had was when Kenstrom included a krolvin occupation south of the drawbridge as part of the big invasions last year or the year before.

Are there as many people in RR as in the Landing? No. Do lots of the capped Resters who had to leave because there was no high level hunting in RR until the Confluence appeared come back when the town is invaded or when there's a story happening? Yes. Do I want to have to move my characters to the Landing, contributing to the declining population in small towns, just to experience a story? Absolutely not. Is it worth having storyline events in RR or Zul or other small towns that currently get little or no attention? Absolutely.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/29/2016 01:02 PM CST
<<Is it worth having storyline events in RR or Zul or other small towns that currently get little or no attention? Absolutely.>>

Events and additions would help draw more people to smaller towns but GMs and other groups want to hold their events and focus their attention where the players are. If one factor improves, both do.... but usually the town will just keep stagnating until most just think of it as a place to pass through on their way to somewhere else without something else, like upper level hunting, coming to these towns.

RR actually a good example of this, the town has been lucky enough to have both a player population that's passionate about it as well as a string of gurus that were equally as passionate about it. Over the years it's gone from hunting topping out at level 25 to topping out at level 60. Without that, it would probably look much like Sol or Zul does now as an effect of rapid level advancement and an ever larger percentage of characters become unable to learn from hunting in them... not to mention a declining player base over all.

While having storylines and such in smaller towns might help in the short term, I really don't see much hope for reviving any town that doesn't have access to level 50+ hunting unless something like what happened in the AOL years happens to cause an explosion of new players coming to GS.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/29/2016 05:22 PM CST
Perhaps Town gurus would have more time to actually run story lines in their appointed towns if they and their resources and their time weren't all being dominated by running pay events.

This isn't normal!
What do you mean this isn't normal!?!
This is way worse!!
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 02/29/2016 11:08 PM CST
I think we're under-representing the effort Town Guru's DO put forth. That herb revamp by Lydil in Solhaven was probably a good investment of time. Teras has gotten some subtle things. Zul was laid out by Clunk. Ta'Vaalor has been active and so has Ta'Illistim. Icemule just had a new area, a storyline and Kenstrom has storylines and a recent invasion.

I get both the efficiency of spreading out the GM role and a lot of this current crop of GMs is both the best in their fields and close knit. They are building all this code, the RP, documents by a lot of people who are guru's, pay events and more. At the same time I agree that some of this is "I want some too." and it's just not hitting our excitement button.

RR seems to be more effected by this because it's populace is passionate and a lot of it's focus hasn't been a big RP storyline or NPC introduction. It hasn't been dormant either and I'd urge you all to look at some of what I listed and multiply it with all the hard work the GMs in general and most of which are guru types to make the game good, cause it's real good right now.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 07:46 AM CST
I just want Teras to get invaded for longer than 10 minutes for once.

~ Methais
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 10:35 AM CST
>I think we're under-representing the effort Town Guru's DO put forth.

Yes, quite possibly. Since Xayle took over RR, we've had three Picklefests, a number of golden pickle things done, the flinger, some long-standing lore made offical, and a brothel is in the works, among other things. Technically there was an invasion of rats, and spiders leaping out of boxes, near when she first took over, but this was purely a mechanical gimmick to cull some public afk-ing (it was pretty fun, though). This is why my approach wasn't to complain about town gurus. It seems to me if I complain about RR explicitly not getting much storyline or invasions from within in recent years I'm overlooking what has been done. Indeed, this is the aspect where I'd feel like I'm "forcing" GMs to do stuff -- telling a guru who's done a lot of stuff that because one area is lacking they suck and need to do more work. This is not how I feel about it. That's why I thought -- maybe -- if some more jobs were shared among the existing gurus, each one still doing the kinds of things they like (e.g. Xayle offered Kenstrom some non-ale winterberry ideas for the Landing), it was a solid compromise.

There actually is quite a lot of team work among the gurus as it is, and I think this is what needs to continue to develop even more.

I hoped that with the Chronomage overhauls it could be a good opportunity to re-evaluate the situation. After all, even now Zul Logoth is a gold ring and a brief cart ride from almost everywhere but Teras and RR -- and the cart rides are possibly being made shorter in the next phase.

I feel like it's kind of a waste of the massively increased accessibility to Zul if nothing continues to happen there.

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 12:14 PM CST
Kenstrom puts in about 10 to 12 hours a week actively advancing in-game story participation on a regular schedule (he undoubtedly spends more time per week on other GS-related activities, but those are the hours he spends active on his NPCs or gleefully killing us off). Everyone knows when he's likely to be around, and it's usually pretty easy to find out what kinds of activities might be going on. All this activity happens in and around the Landing, which has two other towns that are within seconds of walking distance from it so people in Icemule and Solhaven can zip over there and participate too.

If he were put in charge of story stuff on a game-wide scale, he'd probably keep the same hours, but he'd no longer be spending those hours in the largest population center, the one that serves two other towns as well. I can't help but think that would be a net loss for the game even as it might benefit less populous areas. I do see what you're saying and generally agree that letting story-loving GMs do story stuff and town-loving GMs do town improvement stuff, but with limited time, it's hard to divide GMs' efforts in ways that won't disrupt what already works well.

Not everyone likes schedules. I can't stand them, so I completely empathize with GMs who don't say "Okay, we're going to do story stuff every Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday from X:00 to Y:30." At the same time, those scheduled Kenstrom days make it easy for players to participate in or sit out events. Everyone knows the Landing will be hopping on Friday nights, for example, and it's become appointment RP for many players. People schedule their own play times around these events. I always plan to be in the Landing when I know something big is cooking. In other zones, GM-assisted RP isn't periodic; that makes generating sustained interest in events more of a challenge for other GMs, many of whom are already working at a disadvantage because they're gurus of isolated populations of players.

Every town guru I've seen RP does a good job with it, but who wants to play to an empty house?

I'm not entirely sure how to break the vicious cycle of GMs doing less story development because they don't have much player participation and players leaving because they don't get much story development. The Chronomage changes may help over time, but you've still got an issue with two main population centers, one of them a good bit larger than the other, plus some isolated towns and hamlets that range from fairly busy to virtually empty. It would be dull to turn the whole game into urban sprawl around the biggest population hub, but making it easy for people to move freely gives GMs a larger potential audience for events and invasions in other towns.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 01:18 PM CST
>I'm not entirely sure how to break the vicious cycle of GMs doing less story development because they don't have much player participation and players leaving because they don't get much story development.

I've been of the opinion for years that 'appointment RP' has to be a big part of it. In order to get stuff rolling, somebody needs to say "Be here at X time on Y day." You can gradually wean your playerbase off of that once a regular amount of activity has been established. When your home is a boring, empty town that you can't hunt in... there isn't much motivation to stick around. Some people move, some people just stop logging in. And, this isn't just about GM activity either. I've seen it happen in Solhaven over the years. Player A logs in, there's nothing happening, they log out. 20 minutes later, Player B logs in. There's nothing happening AND none of their friends are around. They log out. 15 minutes later, Person C logs in. No activity, no friends, they go back to playing Fallout. A, B and C have no idea that they all just missed each other. All they know is that they logged in to an empty town.

At some point, somebody needs to say, "Be here at this time."

If the GM is waiting for A, B and C to finally all log in around the same time before starting anything (along with their buddies X, Y and Z)... they'll probably be waiting a long, long time.

... but once people get into the habit of simply being around again, the appointments become less necessary.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 01:59 PM CST
I agree with everything Raelee's player said, having seen, experienced, and been guilty of the "nobody here, quit" routine.

-AM

You note, "And if someone happens to stumble into it every now and then and fire, well, accidents happen."
Bristenn stumbles toward a glowing blue-white pylon before regaining his balance.
Bristenn steadies the blue-white pylon and fires!
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 05:26 PM CST

This is key ...

>>If he were put in charge of story stuff on a game-wide scale, he'd probably keep the same hours, but he'd no longer be spending those hours in the largest population center, the one that serves two other towns as well. I can't help but think that would be a net loss for the game even as it might benefit less populous areas.

yup ...
the good of the many outweighs the good of the few ...

Clunk (channelling Spock - except for the ears)

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 05:35 PM CST

>>If the GM is waiting for A, B and C to finally all log in around the same time before starting anything (along with their buddies X, Y and Z)... they'll probably be waiting a long, long time.

In Raelee's case, if a GM had a shadow copy of Raelee's owl flying around, people might hang around just to see what was going to happen.

who?

Clunk

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 08:26 PM CST
>the good of the many outweighs the good of the few

The Chronomage changes could be a great way to let the few join the many (or vice-versa) when events do happen. Those changes are still in their first phase, but I expect reducing travel times will help participation.

>If the GM is waiting for A, B and C to finally all log in around the same time before starting anything (along with their buddies X, Y and Z)... they'll probably be waiting a long, long time.

That's an excellent point, and it illustrates why "appointment RP" has had such success in the Landing. Players have also turned out in respectable numbers for pure RP events such as the Palestra trials, so it isn't just the Landing that can benefit from some advance notice.

Spontaneous RP events are fantastic too, but there's nothing wrong with scheduling. GS is similar to classic pencil-and-paper roleplaying games, and it's totally normal to have set times for tabletop game nights. Why wouldn't it be normal in GemStone, too? We don't expect spontaneity from other roleplaying games. It'd be pretty strange if your real-life game companions decided to try some spontaneous RP by waking you up at midnight and whisking your character to the Temple of Elemental Evil.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 08:37 PM CST
< It'd be pretty strange if your real-life game companions decided to try some spontaneous RP by waking you up at midnight and whisking your character to the Temple of Elemental Evil.>

Clearly you've never lived with a LARPer.....

Starchitin

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/01/2016 10:53 PM CST
Having at least something occasionally for small towns would be a really good addition. Frequency can always be a lot less, but it seems like nothing happens in places like ZL beyond what a couple awesome players organize.

V V V V V

https://twitter.com/gs4_tahminarre
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/02/2016 12:17 AM CST
<<Clearly you've never lived with a LARPer.....

Not that I'm a LARPer, but I'm totally gonna wake up any new roommates I might have in the future with random nerf sword beatings. INVASION TIME! GET UP OR DIE!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/03/2016 06:24 AM CST
>>Clearly you've never lived with a LARPer.....

>Not that I'm a LARPer, but I'm totally gonna wake up any new roommates I might have in the future with random nerf sword beatings. INVASION TIME! GET UP OR DIE!

The ship has capsized! ::dumps large buckets of water on sleeping person::

Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/07/2016 07:10 PM CST
Soon none of this will matter when Prelate Chaston pushes Koar's Light to the corners of the world and everyone's days and nights will be spent doing the same thing. Paying eternal homage to the God-King Koar!

No, but in all seriousness, on a personal level, I love the idea of a Storyline/Invasion guru. No current positions would even need to change. Just find or hire someone who would love to spread some attention fun throughout all towns. Much of the success I feel is achieved in Landing, comes from the pure fact I love the town and am passionate about it. I'm also passionate about stories. But having a sandbox I love to build them within makes it all connect. But I do from a personal standpoint like the concept of someone with a desire to tell stories all over.

Now, I also love the comment about appointment-RP. That's so true, isn't it? I try to make my schedule as widely known as possible. Heck I even try to warn people when I know I won't be around for sure. I seriously hate the thought of people sitting there waiting for nothing and feel bad when it happens. I love my life, my little family and my schedule, it's been a huge blessing to be able to still focus on GS, while not diminishing other parts of my life. No one ever knows how long that formula will remain. So I squeeze out all I can. (That sounds gross, or dirty, not sure which one more)

But I think there's another thing that has gone unsaid, unless I missed it. Player-driven activity. Sure, no invasions are player-run, but I cannot tell you how many times I've been in-game, secretly watching players and seeing tons of RP and little player-run events going on. This thrills me to no end. I'm glad that RP exists even beyond the appointed times. In fact, many times I've jumped in on these little things, or even used them for future ideas or events to be stemmed off of. So while I know this doesn't necessarily help solve the great gap debate of activity in towns, I also want to give credit where credit is due. And a lot of credit also goes to the players, who keep things going as well.

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/07/2016 08:58 PM CST
Id also like to see a position for Storyteller-in-chief that supports storylines and assists town guru's in implementing storylines everywhere..with more overlap to other towns. Towns outside of the landing are not well populated and I hear it all the time.."because nothing ever happens here". We need more in the other towns and more that will link the stories so others can be involved.

Just my thoughts.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/07/2016 09:38 PM CST
Icemule, Wehnimer's Landing, Teras and Ta'Illistim/Greater Eastern Elanthia have unique player populations with a similar smattering in River's Rest and those who identify with the town, such as Solhaven. I'd say some are more nomadic than others due to necessity, but it exists.

These are guesses as to population:

Rivers Rest - 8-12
Solhaven - 6-10
Teras - 15-20
Wehnimer's Landing - 50-80
Icemule - 30-50
Zul Logoth - 2
Ta'Illistim - 20-30
Ta'Vaalor - 15-20

This is about 230 players and we have 300-400 nightly so realm guesses have to be a bit short.

It's worth a continued discussion for sure. I know some residents of towns have mentioned a lot of times that they wander when it's quiet, but at the same time we made the point earlier that we tend to minimize what the GMs do activity wise and some of it falls on the player base to spark things for the GMs to react off.
Re: Reorganizing the Town Guru System 03/08/2016 03:19 PM CST

>>I know some residents of towns have mentioned a lot of times that they wander when it's quiet, but at the same time we made the point earlier that we tend to minimize what the GMs do activity wise and some of it falls on the player base to spark things for the GMs to react off.

I brought this up at a recent OOC meeting and was met with confusion and "i don't understand!" There have been no major storylines in Ta'Vaalor and a bunch of the players have taken to creating events on our own, for lack of anything official. A few minor stories have popped up (one nighters, i think) but unless you play 24/7 it's highly likely they will be missed as there's no communication or notice that they're coming.

I'm mainly commenting on the line about sparking "things for the GMs to react off". Can't we get more of that? If we have story telling around the fire or imprompto role-playing moments we've created, why is none of it noticed or acknowledged. I od remember years ago receiving award after award for our efforts. Nowadays, nothing! Just negative comments if we're doing something our guru isn't fond of.....less restriction and more promotion of rp efforts!

~ Kezhia
Prev_page Previous 1