Citizenship and the Gem shop 08/17/2012 06:46 AM CDT
I was under the impression that one of the benefits of citizenship is increased value offered for sold items (i.e. all else being equal, I get more silvers for selling a diamond in my home town than I would in another town). However, I just tried to test this theory, and this is what happened.

No citizenship:

Solhaven: 1223
Landing: 1166
Mist Harbor: 1166

Then, I acquired citizenship in Landing...and was offered the same amount for my gems. Nothing changed. Is this intentional, and my understanding of the system is flawed, or is this some sort of bug/oversight?

~ Lumi

P.S. The character in question is a human monk with 0 Trading and an INF bonus of 6, if that matters (I don't think it does).
Re: Citizenship and the Gem shop 08/17/2012 07:48 AM CDT

Only discounts are general.

Prices paid by shops may give a bonus in a particular shop, but it isn't general.

Mist Harbor used to give a general penalty to non-citizens (effectively a citizen bonus), but that was removed and there is no longer any point to getting Mist Harbor citizenship to sell stuff there.
Re: Citizenship and the Gem shop 08/17/2012 03:52 PM CDT
>Only discounts are general.

>Prices paid by shops may give a bonus in a particular shop, but it isn't general.

Sorry, RATHBONER, I honestly don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that citizenship affords a discount when I BUY things from any shop in my home town, but only certain shops in said town will offer more silvers when I SELL things?
Re: Citizenship and the Gem shop 08/17/2012 04:45 PM CDT
Yes.

Ask for a quote on anything and you will get something along the lines of "Normally I would charge you 1000, but because you are a citizen I can let you have it for 900."

Thats the normal 10% citizen discount. I don't think its guaranteed to happen absolutely everywhere, but its the default. You'll see it on festivals in your home town as well as the normal merchants.

However if you sell something its normal that you don't get a better price. You may in a particular shop or town, but the default citizen benefit is 10% off stuff you buy, and no change on stuff you sell.