What's your OCD? 03/30/2017 10:45 AM CDT
I just made a comment in another post about my OCD. Everyone has some sort of OCD - it's minor in most people to severe in some.

Counting steps (counting things in general, but steps I always count and I remember how many steps).

I have 17 steps to go up in my house from the main floor to the 2nd floor.
My mom's basement has 16 steps....their stairs leading to the 2nd floor has 17 steps.
Daughter's school, stairs closest to her room on the 2nd floor has 21 steps....
Work - door I use to enter the building has 4 steps....I count them everyday I walk up/down them.

I guess the only plus side to counting steps is that I can safely and quickly navigate my house in the dark without having to worry about where I am on the steps. Then again, I rarely turn on lights in the house and it pisses the wife off because she tells me it feels like we're living in a cave due to it being dark at night with the lights off.

My wife has to double check certain things, even though she may have just done something.
Such as her hair straightener or hair dryer. She always unplugs them immediately after she uses them, but after she leaves the bathroom, she's asking me if she unplugged them. Even if I give her an answer, she has to check for herself. She does this with other things, such as locking the front door, making sure the garage door is closed, the oven is turned off and so on. However, she can't keep track of her car keys very well (she'll put them anywhere) and can spend up to 15 minutes some days looking for them - but when it comes to specific things like unplugging stuff or checking doors, she absolutely has reassure herself before she can be at ease.

-Drumpel
Re: What's your OCD? 03/30/2017 11:40 AM CDT
Did a little searching and it seems I have a mild case of Arithmomania - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmomania

-Drumpel
Re: What's your OCD? 03/30/2017 11:46 AM CDT

Organization of items, such as my closet.

Short items (such as a short skirt, short sleeve shirt, shorts, etc,) then long items. Within those categories, everything is arranged from left to right based on color -- light to dark.

The same is true of food items in my pantry and cupboards. Boxes of items are sorted first by size, then by color. Canned items are sorted by size and then alphabet.

The OCD even extends to my dog, or at least she's picked up on it from me. She truly puts one toy back in the basket before she pulls another out.

My OCD extends to eating as well. I eat my fill of one item before moving to the next. Though, there is no real particular order here. Snacks are another level of OCD all together. Let's say I'm eating colored candies. There are 5 colors, blue, yellow, green, red, and orange. I'll pick a color, and eat all of that first, but then to further the OCD, I will eat one on the left side, and one on the right side of my mouth. If there is an odd one, and it can't be reliably evenly split, it doesn't get eaten.
Re: What's your OCD? 03/30/2017 12:05 PM CDT
"The OCD even extends to my dog" -- ColemanJ

Okay, that turned out to be less gruesome than I thought it might. I was afraid you were going to say that she poops the short ones on one side, then the long ones on the other, in order by color...

Looks like I've had this since early 2003...

M&M Genes

Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment. When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 USA, along with a 3x5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes." This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one.
Re: What's your OCD? 03/30/2017 12:23 PM CDT
>Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters.

You got me thinking of an awesome movie! Now I want to watch it.

"I think you're going to be okay here. They have a thin candy shell. Hmmm...surprised you didn't know that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6PsS-zMgzw

-Drumpel