How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/11/2015 07:16 AM CST
My wife and I were laying on the futon watching some of the Lord of the Rings trilogy before passing out at about 7am yesterday (today is holiday in Japan). I'm not a huge fan of the films, but I love Tolkien, and well...the LotR films are amazing compared to the recent forays in the Hobbit (though, so would be a steaming pile of dung).

In any case, we started imagining how characters might appear in GS, and some of them were quite amusing to us in that state. I know more about LotR and GS than she does, but we discussed different skills and what would seem appropriate. Here is the list we came up with, post approximately in the order of experience they should have in the GS system.

LotR GS Reasoning / comments
Sauron Full exp capped sorcerer He's a powerful sorcerer. Probably with lots of enhancive items, too.
Galadriel Full exp capped savant We don't know how savants will look in GS, but this seems most appropriate. Perhaps a sorceress.
Elrond Post-cap empath Although a loremaster, empath seems more appropriate than bard, since he is known for his healing skills.
Gandalf (White) Post-cap cleric Self resurrection (debatable) with access to fire spells.
Balrog Vathor Winged, destructive demon. Need we say more?
Witch King Lich with many kills He should be a bit more powerful than the others. Not clear if they should be undead, so mix it up.
Khamul Lich Ibid, but slightly less powerful. (Creature with weakness to water would also a good choice, but they seem lacking.)
other Nazgûl Vvrael destroyers Powerful, extraplanar and immune to magic. One might choose otherwise, though
Gandalf (Grey) Capped wizard Seems like the most obvious choice. Perhaps he's like a warmage.
Saurman Capped savant We again don't know about savants, but his voice and mental illusions are strong. Possibly a sorcerer.
Aragorn Capped Ranger Rogue or empath are as possible candiates, but ranger seems to suit him best. His healing is with herbs, etc.
Smeagol Capped rogue No gear. Max perception, brawling, hiding and stalking, survival.
Boromir pre-cap Warrior Has more battle prowess and bravery than his brother.
Faramir pre-cap Ranger Shows more wisdom and knowledge about magic ("wizard's pupil"), seems sneakier
Bilbo mid-level Bard Mainly skilled in lore and making songs. But also quite sneaky.
Gimli mid-level Warrior Needs to berserk with a battle axe and armor ranks.
Eowyn mid-level Warrior With 5 ranks of CMAN Truehand.
Legolas mid-level Ranger Best choice for his survival skills (walking on snow), stealth, use of a bow, and perception.
Frodo titled rogue A tough choice, but he and Gollum understand each other well. He's also sneakier than most halflings.
Pippin fresh Warrior Some trading ranks to buy beer. He should become a titled warrior by the end.
Merry fresh Paladin Ibid. Titled paladin by the end.
Sam fresh Ranger Really no idea what to do here. He's kind of useless besides his gardening skills. Survives in Mordor.

Have fun laughing, making comments and suggestions, or adding other characters, from LotR or other relevant history. Feanor might be a fun one to try.

I've presumed the One Ring is self-knowledge Fash'lo'nae's Gift (1750) with piles of enhancives that only work for a high-level character; it needs some GS flavor like coraesine or black ora I suppose...

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/11/2015 07:22 AM CST
...oh yeah, and poor monks again...they don't even get an analogy.

Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/11/2015 09:33 AM CST
Most of those are pretty good. :) If you read Iron Crown's 'Lords of Middle-Earth' sourcebooks, you can see what profession they made most of those characters.

In Iron Crown's other product, the CCG "Middle-Earth: the Wizards", they had only five professions: Warrior, Scout, Ranger, Sage, and Diplomat. Most of the playable Nazgul were two or three; each of the five Wizards were four of the five [each left a different one on the table]; all of the Hobbits were Scouts but Sam was a Ranger also; Bilbo was a Sage while Frodo was a Diplomat.
Check Isildur's site for card-of-the-day reviews; he puts the full cardtext up before getting into his prose.
http://www.trevorstone.org/metw/cotd/past.html

Really my only dispute with you was making Sméagol/Gollum capped, and Sam/Frodo only titled. Sure, Sméagol--I find it interesting that the name is apparently web-common enough that MSIE auto-corrects the spelling with the accent on the e--had the longevity, but he wasn't really all that big and bad level-wise.
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/12/2015 09:25 AM CST
I think the motivation for making Smeagol a capped Rogue is that even Aragorn had difficulties finding and nabbing him. Granted, since Frodo and Sam were able to fight him off (together), I suppose this could be a bit questionable.
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/12/2015 10:35 AM CST
Legolas always seemed more BA to me than a mid-level ranger. :)
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/12/2015 10:49 AM CST

Every elf in the series has to be post-cap.

- Guards haul off the stupid corpse. -
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/12/2015 12:45 PM CST
I considered that Legolas should be a higher level.

But if we think about the relation of age with level, Sméagol (yeah I was too lazy for that accent) is like 500 years old, isn't he?

I think mainly Sam and Frodo can fight him off because 1) Frodo has the ring and 2) By the end in Mordor, he's very starved etc; not sure how to represent that latter one precisely in GS terms, but there are plenty of ways to imagine it. Huge death's sting and no nodes?

Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/12/2015 11:20 PM CST
>I think mainly Sam and Frodo can fight him off because 1) Frodo has the ring and 2) By the end in Mordor, he's very starved etc; not sure how to represent that latter one precisely in GS terms, but there are plenty of ways to imagine it. Huge death's sting and no nodes

I think you're (in general, not YOU Daid) missing the best part of this type of conversation.

Mutant training choices.

Ineffective post cap character? What'd you do, put all your TP's in Arcane Symbols?? Haha?!

Smeagol's Stats are not maximized for growth (or if GS had such a mechanism, age actually debilitates some stats)(or you know, one of Kenstrom's evil effects following a quest, where your character has a penalty and random RT because he entered the spirit land, aka "interviewed by Saruman"), and he put all his TP's into Survival, Climbing, Swimming, Hiding/Stalking, Harness Power and Lores (but he doesn't know any spells!), and he only 1x'd his weapon use. So, he's weak and ineffective with a weapon, but MAN is he good at hiding and climbing.

Follow?

Legolas makes MFIRE look much better than it really is. 3 second RT!

Point being, take some of the more unusual mutant builds and see what they are weak at - extrapolate from there. My post cap ranger doesn't know 125, surely some of the LOTR characters aren't perfectly trained, either. In fact, from a purely fiction writing perspective, it's generally the weaknesses that make a character interesting/relatable - I am SURE that can be applied towards GS training paths.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/15/2015 04:34 PM CST
>> I'm not a huge fan of the films, but I love Tolkien, and well...the LotR films are amazing compared to the recent forays in the Hobbit (though, so would be a steaming pile of dung).

Thanks for setting the bar low on expectations for the Hobbit films. I loved the LotR trilogy and was excited to hear they were making The Hobbit until I found out they were going to make three films out of it. As a result of that decision I decided to wait until they were all out and then watch them on cable.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/16/2015 01:40 AM CST
>In fact, from a purely fiction writing perspective, it's generally the weaknesses that make a character interesting/relatable

An interesting observation, but one that I personally disagree with.

One of my favorite aspects of LotR is that its characters are resolved to their respective purposes, and at the height of their powers. What weakness there is, usually stems from opposition to an external and greater force. My greatest objection to the movies was in how they corrupted so many strong characterizations into ones filled with those "interesting" and "relatable" weaknesses.

Aragorn is the most prominent example. As written by Tolkien, he has firmly chosen his course and doesn't waver for an instant in his goals to defeat Mordor, claim his kingship, reunite Gondor and Arnor, and wed Arwen. He works for decades at this goal, and the events of LotR are the natural continuation of how he has spent his life. As interpreted by Jackson, he constantly whines that he doesn't want to become king, and shows only the leadership that is forced upon him by circumstances (usually in the form of Gandalf or Elrond). It makes the movies much weaker than they should have been.

The worst corruption was undoubtedly of Denethor and Faramir; I can never quite decide which one came off worse in the movies. They were both far better in the original story than they were portrayed on film.

Perhaps not quite on topic for the original thread, but by coincidence I've been watching the three movies again recently (the first half of RotK just tonight, and the last half will be tomorrow night), and as usual, got aggravated at the movie-imposed weaknesses.
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/18/2015 09:51 PM CST
I couldn't agree more, Finros! I'm never really sure if it's this feature or the portrayal of distance and time that get me the most, but it's one of these two for sure.

With a single 130 minute film, it can be forgiven, but c'mon, they had three fairly long films to develop characters.

I especially love how tobacco (which is obviously intended to be) got turned into another drug, and Saruman even chastises Gandalf for getting baked!!

Anything comic they give to Gimli. Anything stupid, Pippin.

And I can never really get over how they made Elrond a full elf who complains about men all the time.

Any further posts with this signature will be removed.
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/23/2015 10:09 PM CST
>>In fact, from a purely fiction writing perspective, it's generally the weaknesses that make a character interesting/relatable

>An interesting observation, but one that I personally disagree with.

Hmm. Excellent response!

I will concede that Jackson's interpretation of the writing went too far, in his attempt to create conflict and melodrama on the big screen. I have always been disturbed by the relative fruitiness of the Hobbits and the relative comic relief of the Dwarves, something that I, in my own fantasy fiction writing, have strived to work hard against, while still trying to hold true to the "idea" of those races, and what they represent (which, of course, is subject to incredible interpretation, whether or not Jackson-ish).

In the fiction writing "tips" section of the internet, which is tremendously overloaded and repetitious, it is basically a mantra that a character must be flawed. No one wants to read about the perfectly handsome man/woman with the perfectly balanced skill set, who can kill an Orc with his/her bare hands and cook a perfect meal and of course, he/she is the perfect lover. No, he/she must be flawed, challenged by the events and circumstances of the story, and it must seem that he/she may actually be unable to complete the challenge at hand - BUT - with the help of (whatever global thematic element) the challenges are overcome and the flawed hero wins the day.

I'm certain that's what Jackson was trying to achieve, and I agree he went too far. However, I enjoy the movies, because the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous, and I can appreciate the interpretation, even if that's not how I would do it.

In the vein of this thread, with LOTR characters translated to GS terms, their relative excellence and skills would be "balanced" by their statistical and training weaknesses, i.e., there's only so many training points, and ... I stand by my point in this. That neither Frodo nor Samwise are anywhere near capped, nor Smeagol (albeit older and more experienced and therefore higher level), and that they achieve what they do (whether in movie or book) is made more poignant because of their relative weakness, and the impossibility of their tasks.

In GS terms, it's a 40 training character surviving a foray into the Rift, and living to tell about it. That's an interesting story. A 2x capped character hunting in the Rift - can - be interesting, but it won't be - as - interesting.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: How would LotR characters look in GS? 02/24/2015 12:38 AM CST
One thing I appreciated after some time was some more effort to bring females into prominence by Jackson & Co. Such as cutting Glorfindel and having Arwen help rescue Frodo at the Flight to the Ford. I have some words about her being called "she-elf" and her summoning the magic of the Bruinen, though.

>No one wants to read about the perfectly handsome man/woman with the perfectly balanced skill set, who can kill an Orc with his/her bare hands and cook a perfect meal and of course, he/she is the perfect lover.

Another thing I couldn't get is why they decided to make Eowyn suck at cooking. I suppose you'd defend it on this premise, but I found it kind of offensive. I did like the ensuing discussion to reveal Aragorn's age, though.

As to the Hobbit films, adding whatever that elven female was just idiotic. I'd have gone ahead and made a couple of the dwarves in Thorin's company female, where it isn't apparent right away (they could be acted by male or females...doesn't matter to me). That was kind of a lost opportunity as far as adding more female roles, I felt, and would have been much better than the ridiculous romance that was added.

I'm still not totally sure how Sméagol should be treated as far as his level in GS, though. He definitely has his flaws, but he has some pretty high training in other areas.

One problem with the foray in the Rift (as the example) practically in GS for a level 40 character: sheer fear. Anyway, I get your meaning though, it's just the problem that all the capped hunting grounds have undead so it's more difficult to use a practical example here. Maybe the Bowels is a fair example instead (and captures some of the imagery of Mordor, to boot).

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes