Google's Cardboard VR Viewer 06/26/2014 02:42 PM CDT
I thought this was a joke when I first saw it. Nope. It's for real.

Google created a set of detailed instructions for how to build a virtual reality viewer out of mostly cardboard. You also need some lenses and a magnet (and velcro, of course). The original specs linked to Amazon where you can purchase the lenses, but it looks like they're sold out. When the lenses were still available, the price for a pair ranged from $9.99 to $250 (and that's just today's range), according to Keepa.com's price tracker. After you finish all the cutting and folding, you download a free app (Android only, it appears) and then slide your phone into your cardboard viewer for a virtual reality experience.

http://developers.google.com/cardboard/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/25/5842188/googles-cardboard-turns-your-android-device-into-a-vr-headset

It's too much work for me. But it sounds like a fun project for kids.

If it actually works well, then you can bet that somebody will start selling the preassembled viewers.
Re: Google's Cardboard VR Viewer 06/27/2014 09:53 AM CDT
This had me quite intrigued. I'm not someone who has experienced recent efforts at VR, so no Oculus Rift here, but from what I've read it does a pretty darn good replicating everything talk highly about in the setup. My biggest question is how comfortable is the thing after you've worn it for an hour or something? I'm also curious about the balance element of sticking a phone in one part of it - I'd assume that's going to result in a pull on the wearer that's noticeable eventually?

GM Scribes
Re: Google's Cardboard VR Viewer 06/30/2014 01:14 AM CDT
One of my good friends is a professional software engineer, so he buys all kinds of gadgets to tinker with, so I got to play with an Oculus Rift a little many months ago. He was asking me ideas for something to implement and the first thing that popped out of my mouth was "Go to stellarium.org". I guess Google turns up some results of at least discussions on the topic, so I wasn't the only one who had that idea.

He also got one of these smart watches and programmed his own watch that used an optical trick you have to train yourself to learn so that most people cannot read his watch, but he can. I think these days he uses something a little more user friendly, though.

I also remember when he was pretty excited about changing the color of the lights in his house with a wifi connection from his phone, but I think the novelty of that wore off pretty fast.

Speaking of things to make one's self similar to virtual reality, is 2D glasses. Honestly I can't stand 3D movies. It doesn't make me ill or anything, it just looks like crap and I find really irritating to pay more for what I consider a worse experience. 2D glasses are pretty easy to make (although one of the Vlog brothers sells them now I think) since you just need the same polarizing filter for both lenses.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."