The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/13/2014 08:20 AM CDT

This is interesting:

http://www.openculture.com/2014/06/the-hobbit-the-first-animation-film-adaptation-of-tolkiens-classic-1966.html
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 03:22 AM CDT
"Interesting" is a good adjective. It should have come with a few hits of LSD for my tastes.

The 1977 animated film is also pretty hilarious.

I can't believe Jackson is doing a 3 part Hobbit that still doesn't follow the books! Well at least Aragorn's actor refused a cameo out of respect for the original work instead of raking in the cash, unlike Legolas.

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 09:02 AM CDT
<<I can't believe Jackson is doing a 3 part Hobbit that still doesn't follow the books! Well at least Aragorn's actor refused a cameo out of respect for the original work instead of raking in the cash, unlike Legolas.

Arguably, Jackson has every bit of leeway to include Legolas with the wood elves...it's just when he heads on to Lake Town that things get batty!

GM Scribes
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 10:10 AM CDT

That movie went off the rails... the train has crashed and drowned in a river of molten gold. Seriously, if the dwarves had enough gold just lying around to create a river of molten gold to try and drown a dragon, they would have enough to completely devalue the very concept of gold. Never mind completely throwing physics out the window. If they were indeed to get into a boat and float down a river of molten gold (or any other metal), the boat would melt, but more realistically, they would have literally cooked in about 5 seconds and be dead. The movie was entertaining and visually cool, but they are now a slap in the face to Tolkien fans and it is becoming nigh impossible to achieve Suspension of Disbelief.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 11:28 AM CDT
<<The movie was entertaining and visually cool, but they are now a slap in the face to Tolkien fans and it is becoming nigh impossible to achieve Suspension of Disbelief.

I hear ya, tho, this is also a movie with a giant dragon.

GM Scribes
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 02:00 PM CDT
Yeah, Smaug is cool and was written in the books as pretty bada$$, and it was only through Bilbo discovering the chink in his armor and that info getting to Bard that allowed the dragon to be slain. Also, the black arrow wasn't a freakin ballista bolt in the books. Soo many unnecessary changes!
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 03:54 PM CDT

>>If they were indeed to get into a boat and float down a river of molten gold (or any other metal), the boat would melt, but more realistically, they would have literally cooked in about 5 seconds and be dead.

It was a wheelbarrow. That was 45 seconds of him running behind a wheelbarrow, avoiding a dragon, simply so he could ride it like a boat down the river of molten gold. My friend actually walked out of the theater at this point. I was too surprised at the conclusion of that absurd scene to follow him.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 03:58 PM CDT
Strangely, the black arrow change was probably one of the few things that really irritated me.

GM Scribes
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 04:07 PM CDT
"Black arrow you have never failed me"... Guess he goes hunting with a tower mounted ballista on a regular basis. Must be some big catfish in that lake.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 04:08 PM CDT
Those Mekong River catfish are pretty huge.

GM Scribes
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 04:14 PM CDT

I get it though, and I can see where it would bother you. Bard, although a decendant of kings, is still just a human who made a difference not because he had some magical sword that glows in the dark, or a special ring, but because he was stubborn, and he cared. And he did it with a plain old bow, and an old fashioned arrow that was handed down from his fathers. Same with Bilbo, it wasn't the ring that made Bilbo special, it was who he was on the inside that made him the hero of the story.

All these things were big and impressive, the trappings were cool, magic swords, and rings of power, and dragons, but what it came down to (in the book) was people. The story was about how one little Hobbit grew and changed because of his adventure. Not according to Peter Jackson, however, to him it is about the spectacle and going completely over the top. He did a pretty darned good job with LOTR, but he has really screwed the pooch with the Hobbit.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/17/2014 05:25 PM CDT
<< He did a pretty darned good job with LOTR, but he has really screwed the pooch with the Hobbit. >>

Exactly.

The only addition to The Hobbit that I enjoyed was the depiction of Gandalf's visit to Dol Guldur. I liked the battle with Sauron.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 03:56 AM CDT
Ah, discussing Jackson's versions of Middle Earth. One of my favorite pastimes.

I only saw the second Hobbit in the theater so I don't recall it very well. But I think I disliked it so intensely I haven't even downloaded it or anything. It's true Legolas has a reasonable place, but this female elf is way off. I know Tolkien's work is sorely lacking in female characters, but I'd much have preferred if they made some of the dwarves female instead (in the Appendix of LotR, it's describe that they are difficult to distinguish from male dwarves anyhow).

The first Hobbit film has some definite value, and my main complaint is all the nonsense with Azog (who was already dead, and anyway lived in Moria). The intro sequence is pretty amazing, if not perfectly accurate.

As for casting and acting, Balin stands out so much and is quite close to how he might be in the book (except a little lack of emphasis on his being the main lookout). The actor of Thorin is fine, but there's not any clear reason he is so young, and really he needs to be much much older. Whichever dwarf they made semi-retarded with an axe stuck in his head is just...ugh.

Elrond being done by Agent Smith with a goat up his butt and apparently full Elven is just crazy. Elrond is a half-elf and everyone -- even the dwarves -- love that guy.

A weird pet peeve, but Galadriel is supposed to be about 6'4" but if I recall Gandalf is small in stature perhaps 5 and a half feet. The scene where the White Council meets in the Hobbit really makes this incorrect sizing evident. For a series of films with so much of the technology focusing on getting the stature of characters to appear correctly on the screen, this I just found extremely grating. Granted, you have to read some things in perhaps the Book of Lost Tales (I think it's in the footnotes to the Disaster at the Gladden Fields) to find out about units of measurement, the height of Numenorean, and some off-hand remark about Galadriel.

Also, why did they bring Radagast into the Hobbits when they didn't bother having him in LotR?! The early timeline in the Fellowship, namely its perception of the passage of time and the distances between things is, I think the largest bungling of the whole project of LotR though...and right where Radagast was supposed to be anyway. Though his insanity and the acting are wonderful if not really derived from anything Tolkien ever wrote which I've read. I almost use it as some inspiration for how I envision Kaldonis.

But yeah, I don't tend to like the LotR all that much (battle and love scene screen time versus pages in the books) but the Hobbit is like...man I can't tell if I'm excited or dreading the third one. But I'll go see it none the less.

Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 08:19 AM CDT
When the elves showed up at Helm's Deep, I pretty much had set aside my nerd rage and just roll with "This is Peter Jackson's vision....enjoy it!" That's been mainly my attitude with the Hobbit. I view it as a trip to Jackson's "A Ride Through Tolkien's Middle Earth," and do my best to find the fun there. The second movie, for all its additions and subtractions, I thought was a bit better than the first, at least from a film making perspective. It just felt tighter. I do love me some Ian McKellen Gandalf, and this has plenty, far more than a straight adaptation of the Hobbit would have provided. I also decided that if someone was going to do another middle earth movie, I definitely would have wanted it to be Jackson, even if Del Toro is a mad genius himself.

GM Scribes
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 08:44 AM CDT
If Peter Jackson does the Silmarillion, how many installments will it have?
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 09:13 AM CDT
God, I would love to see The Silmarillion movie-ized! <slobber, drool>

I agree with Scribes' comment about the elves at Helm's Deep, and setting aside my inner nerd. In the same manner, when I saw the first movie, my immediate thought upon seeing the goblin warren chase scene was, "Gee, they're setting up for the amusement park ride..."
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 11:07 AM CDT
Before this last movie was made I would have totally agreed with you about wanting to see the Silmarillion, but now I'd dread how badly it could be abused.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 12:29 PM CDT
I'm brain waving thoughts to HBO executives to pick up the Silmarillion as the next tv series once Game of Thrones concludes (2037).

GM Scribes
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 01:41 PM CDT
>When the elves showed up at Helm's Deep, I pretty much had set aside my nerd rage and just roll with "This is Peter Jackson's vision....enjoy it!"

Totally feel you on the nerd rage, but actually I thought it was a nice touch. There is a nice line in the texts, where Gimli wishes for some number of armed dwarves, and Legolas says he doesn't doubt the value of some sturdy dwarves with axes, but would give much more for archers of the woodland realms. I suppose he meant Mirkwood but since at that point in the films we don't really know about Mirkwood they might as well use ones from Caras Galadhon.

But The Last Alliance is so much more compelling when it's being told be Elrond, Half-Elven. I wish they gave Gil-Galad even more than about eleven frames at 24 fps stabbing some creature with his spear in a backstory segment. Also the Lorien elves in the film are almost more hostile than in the book (where they are more following orders and custom) so it makes the strange appearance harder to imagine. Anyway, I mean to say, the elves appearing at Helm's Deep didn't bother me itself (by that time, I'd just accepted the totally crazy), but I think it's difficult to pass it off under the guise of good cinema because the internal consistency of the films is actually worse than what you can make of individual things with the texts if you know them well.

>I also decided that if someone was going to do another middle earth movie, I definitely would have wanted it to be Jackson, even if Del Toro is a mad genius himself.

Gotta gawk at this. Jackson seems to revel in abusing technology and not even doing a very good job to immerse if it's only to make a few bucks. The vision seems inconsistent, even internally analyzed, and too much about a sales pitch than a fantastic film.

Del Toro can be heard in commentary to Pan's Labyrinth complaining how the sun is behind the general in two shots when he turns around but he had to light it that way. Del Toro makes things that are so immersive and magical that you're stuck wondering about the little games he purposely hid in the film. Not wondering (like I heard on the set for LotR) if the King of the Nazgul is Sauron.

Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 02:07 PM CDT
>God, I would love to see The Silmarillion movie-ized! <slobber, drool>

Hmm, I have to go with a neutral on this.

The Hobbit is a children's story with no depth that you can, I think, actually read more quickly than watch the films. Each chapter is the next obstacle that's that. Also the film was criticized for the backstory and lore I believe.

LotR is a much richer story for adults, with deep character development, and a Heroic Journey Joseph Campbell himself would be proud of. In film we get type-casted personalities, so anything stupid is done by Pippin (Boromir disturbed the water outside the entrance to Moria) and anything comic is done by Gimli ("I'm done with cross country" was more an argument to missing signs in daylight, while elves are known not to sleep). "No one tosses a dwarf"? "It's a bit tight around the chest" putting on armor at Helm's Deep when in the book departing Rivendell he's the only one to openly wear armor because dwarves make light of such burdens. But most lacking is the Scouring of the Shire and the denouement for the closure of the archetypal heroic journey. I don't even remember if they make the comparison with "There and Back Again" (Bilbo's easy adventure) but, regardless...I felt finally 90% of the actual message was lost in a blaze of battles which were perpetrated by an unknown enemy.

The Silmarillion is amazing. So much so that I tried and quit reading the first fifty to hundred pages no less than ten times before, years and years at it, I got through and read the book. Now I tend to like it more than LotR which seems itself a posh children's story in comparison.

I just think, if a mere children's story is exploded out of all proportion, and any hint of nuances in a mere heroic journey are washed out in the special effects, how can we possibly wish for anyone to touch the Silmarillion.

Any wealthy benefactor want to buy up the rights to that and put me on the production team? I won't be kind, and the film won't gross a billion dollars. Still I can manage to get the set workers to read and understand the book at least...

Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/18/2014 06:13 PM CDT
<<I'm brain waving thoughts to HBO executives to pick up the Silmarillion as the next tv series once Game of Thrones concludes (2037).

And here I was hoping they'd pick up and do the Wheel of Time series as the next big thing. You know how many seasons they could make off of that?!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/19/2014 09:35 AM CDT

Wheel of Time would be awesome, and much better than GoT as far as I'm concerned.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/19/2014 10:43 AM CDT
Kings dark tower is the current on my list that I like to see something done. After seeing the horrible sword of truth and dresden files shows I cringe when a book series gets a movie or show. GoT at least is being done right for the fans of the series so there is hope but still I worry.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 06/22/2014 08:11 AM CDT
While I would love more fantasy fiction presented in a visual medium, serialized, etc., as been done with Game of Thrones, I think we have to admit that most of what has been done in the past has been campy and poorly presented. I think the reason that GoT works so well, and has been such a success is that the story is complex and morally grey (not unlike our very own Cross Into Shadows storyline, which I also consider a tremendous success so far).

HBO has pretty good success with True Blood - but mostly after they took it down the dark path. The books themselves (with one or two volumes exception, where Sookie is captured and tortured and gets rather fixated on that) are very light and fun and easy reading.

It's not that a story needs to be gritty and morally complex for it to be good. But, to draw viewers above and beyond the existing fans, to get people away from the stereotypes, which have less overall appeal (as perhaps seen in the Sword of Truth or Merlin TV series), I think the gritty stories have more to offer for television adaptation. A few years ago, several "gritty" stories were released, as this became a trend before GoT was going to be on HBO, simply due to the success of GRRM's books.

Along those lines, then, I'd like to see perhaps Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series (3 books) adapted, particularly since he's got 3 standalones set in that world that could supplement the visual storytelling. Or, for something more provocative (although less complex, overall) Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series; at least within that series there's some wiggle room to add the morally vexing complexity, and of course, there's plenty of sex.

Having said that, I think as GoT progresses, more emphasis will be placed on the high fantasy elements (dragons, White Walkers, etc.), and if the ratings continue to dominate, then that will be indicative of public acceptance of what was previously only seen as geekery/nerddom, in which case, the adaptation of those previously aforementioned tremendous fanbase stories is all but inevitable.

We've already seen this trend in the young adult fantasy category - the success of the Harry Potter movies has inspired a few movie adaptations (I really enjoyed the Catching Fire movies, though I don't generally read young adult fantasy books).

Either way, the success of GoT is a great, great thing for Fantasy Fiction (especially as a vehicle for storytelling which forces the viewer to examine their own morality) and if it can be done well, there's a ton of stories that can and should be told visually. It's even better if the success of the visual mediums encourages people to actually read books.

~ Bill, Coyote.
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 07/02/2014 03:20 PM CDT

>And here I was hoping they'd pick up and do the Wheel of Time series as the next big thing. You know how many seasons they could make off of that?!

Insurance rates for hair loss due to braid-tugging would probably be prohibitive.

--Hal
Re: The Hobbit Animated 1966 07/02/2014 07:02 PM CDT
<<Insurance rates for hair loss due to braid-tugging would probably be prohibitive.

But you could turn it into a drinking game. Every time a braid is tugged you take a shot/sip a beer!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er