Making combat mode a preference 11/14/2017 07:16 PM CST
Similar to how the GRIP verb works, what if there was a verb to choose between combat preferences: ranged, thrown, melee, etc. This would allow thrown (and maybe ranged) weapons to use a different DS calculation without substantially changing the BCS. Anyone swinging at you uses whatever their own setting is (critters default to melee). It will lack the realism of an engagement system, which I think is actually a good thing, and it seems like it would solve the issue of how to tell if a PC intends to throw a weapon instead of swing it, before it happens. Make your preferred combat mode a setting, rather than defined by what's in your hands or what verb you're using to attack with. The same concept could be applied to ranged weapons. You could still throw or fire from another range if you wanted to, but you wouldn't get the thrown/ranged DS calculation.

To take it a step further, by adding one or two additional modes, such a polearm range, this could be used as a basic engagement system. Maybe a short RT to switch range, subject to much abuse, and then it's assumed the PC is always attempting to maintain the range it's set at.

For thrown and ranged, there could be a different setting to choose if you always advance to melee after throwing/firing (thinking mainly about thrown and crossbow users here). It shouldn't need to change RTs, or change anything about critters -- just enable parts of the combat system that aren't working quite right.

Would something like this work?
Re: Making combat mode a preference 11/14/2017 08:41 PM CST
<It shouldn't need to change RTs, or change anything about critters -- just enable parts of the combat system that aren't working quite right.>

Except that NIR have stated several times in the past that if players have access to something, it needs to at least be possible for critters to have it on an individual basis as well. Something like this that all players would be able to use, and probably be expected or required to use, they'd prolly want all critters to utilize it.

Further, there's no way they're going to implement ranges and have it only affect DS. Having to maneuver into range to be able to hit with melee weapons or stay in the right range to cast a bolt isn't something that interests me in the least and I can think of MANY other things I'd rather GMs spend time on (like getting playershops available to be bought again and finding a way to make a grid-wide auction system)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Making combat mode a preference 11/14/2017 09:18 PM CST
I do like the idea of the equivalent of grip for thrown weapons as that could be quite interest without really changing too much in practice.

>>Maybe a short RT to switch range, subject to much abuse, and then it's assumed the PC is always attempting to maintain the range it's set at.

I am not sure on this overall, but as a thought, it could perhaps work like martial stances do, or perhaps similar to monk meditation. I think there may be higher things on the to do list than all that, but the idea certainly has potential.

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
Re: Making combat mode a preference 11/15/2017 11:02 AM CST
Right now, we just have a different verb. I can throw or swing a weapon any time. I don't need a grip verb, and it would just make it harder for me to do what I want to do instead of easier. I also don't think it would help prevent me from accidentally throwing the wrong weapon, as I'd have to remember what grip I was last using before changing it etc. Because hurling is a different kind of an attack, grips aren't needed like they are for OHE/THW weapons, where in either case it's a melee attack.

Kerl