stacks of thrown weapons 09/07/2017 08:12 PM CDT

I really want to get into thrown weapons but it is very difficult to find a shop at a low level. The fletching shops sell single arrows and stacks of arrows but no single darts or stacks of darts. The weapon shops all sell single items to be thrown but any archer can tell you hunting with a single arrow would be excruciating. Am I overlooking a shop that holds stacks of throwing knives/axes/darts or other thrown items like Bola's and Net's. I checked the WIKI shops and could not seem to find them there. If this happens to be something that doesn't exist what would be the chances that these types of items could be added to a store. Not looking for a huge arsenal but stackable thrown weapons that are 0x so they could be blessed/ebladed would be amazing and frankly any type of thrown weapon work. I have been trying to find a weapon bandolier but sadly I don't have the 30-60m they go for and no one is selling either =).

Appreciate any insight that can be provided
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 09/07/2017 08:32 PM CDT
Thrown weapons don't stack. That said, if you're careful, you can avoid losing most of them when you're starting out. It can be a pain to manage, but you do it if you're careful, and get by with half a dozen weapons. Just be careful to search for your weapons after the fight is over or at least far enough along that you don't spend all your time staring at the "out of reach" messaging. You can buy cheap daggers at the weapon shop, or probably at the cleric's shop too, depending on the town you are in.

Kerl
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 09/07/2017 08:51 PM CDT
Also, if you can find one of Tinnoc's boxes, you can use slabs of forging metals to turn into slivers and <something else with an 's'>, which are basically darts or daggers (depending on which one of the 'S's you get).
Yes, plain old iron works, but so do slabs of mithril (to be +5) or white ora (to be +10 and Sanctified) or the elemental-flaring stuff (gornar/zorchar/drakar/rhimar to be +5 with earth/lightning/fire/cold flares).

Those are probably your best bet for (literally) throw-away weapons, because they were a fairly modest price and you just don't care if you get the darn weapons back. (You actually do get them back fairly often, and can re-use them until they crumble or fly off into the distance.) Of course, the down side is you're walking around with a twenty-frickin'-pound slab of forging metal at your belt...

OOH! GMs!

Any possibility of allowing one of the Guilds (Rogues seems more sensible, tossing daggers and all, but Warriors already have what I'm suggesting) to BUILD Tinnoc boxes, that act as weight-reducing on the slab you put inside? (Like Warrior Guild sheathes currently work.)

Or to have the "lightening certificates" at Duskruin, act to make the slab INSIDE the box weigh (like a lot) less?
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 09/07/2017 09:26 PM CDT
Until you can aim your weapons well, get yourself a pile of cheap daggers and use those (if you have a friend that's a wizard, get them to cast 902 on them until you can hold e-bladed weapons). Try to stick to critters that don't use armor or only use light armor as much as possible.

Once you get into your late teens aiming for the head/neck shouldn't be too difficult and sometime in your 20's the eyes will become a viable target. If you want to use darts you should prolly wait until you can AIM for the eyes without getting the "failed to find an opening" message, though the main advantage of darts is being able to make them cheaply via the fletching skill... daggers have a much better DF.

However you do it, thrown is.... a big pain compared to other hunting styles. It's like ranged without the bow/crossbow but GATHER doesn't work with it, you don't get the extra AS from the bow/arrow combo, and you spend a lot of time between fights picking up all the weapons you threw, esp at low levels.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 09/08/2017 06:30 AM CDT
"It's like ranged without the..." -- Starchitin

...defensive strength (DS) after you attack....
(i.e. You are not holding a bow, so you get no defense because, "Hey, I just did a ranged attack!" They could put this in as an auto-spell effect [to show up in Spell Active] whenever you 'hurl', but have not yet chosen to do so.)
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 09/08/2017 02:33 PM CDT
<...defensive strength (DS) after you attack....>

That is true, but unless you go the TWC route with it (which I would recommend fixskilling into at a higher level rather then starting out with) you can carry a shield. From my experience, it doesn't matter whether you're getting your DS from dodge or block, the benefits and drawbacks even out unless what you're hunting has an attack that tips the balance one way or the other.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 09/11/2017 03:09 PM CDT
I hunt my gnome rogue using thrown weapons, it was tough finding a shop that sold thrown weapons, I believe the roped off courtyard just outside the north gate sells javelins which I ebladed and used as my main throw away. You can also find a master fletcher to make you darts that have the master fletched +5 darts, I hired a forger to make me a set of imflass handaxes and used that after about 15 trains. Most thrown base weapons aren't worth using, a quoit is a terrible version of a handaxe, and why throw a bola when you can hurl a mace or a hammer? So all that is to say look for hand axes, hammers, javelins they have good speed to DF ratio and I only needed to keep three on me to kill most things. Hurl the first axe, if it gets stuck or is out of reach get out the backups and hurl again to finish the job.

My two silvers worth,
Archales and others
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 09/11/2017 06:05 PM CDT

You know?

Clunk can make a stock of imflass or mithril handaxes, and maybe even sell them less than whatever you get them for at those shops.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 03/23/2018 03:27 PM CDT
"OOH! GMs!

Any possibility of allowing one of the Guilds (Rogues seems more sensible, tossing daggers and all, but Warriors already have what I'm suggesting) to BUILD Tinnoc boxes, that act as weight-reducing on the slab you put inside? (Like Warrior Guild sheathes currently work.)

Or to have the "lightening certificates" at Duskruin, act to make the slab INSIDE the box weigh (like a lot) less?" -- Me, back in #439

Seriously, I could see some quick and easy Thrown Weapon love by making the Tinnoc boxes actually worth using. We already have game tables that reduce 20k silvers' weight, or coin pouches that do the same thing (and I already mentioned the WG sheaths that reduce carried weapons' weights)...
...what's so horrible about reducing the encumbrance of the dude carrying around "a slab of iron" to turn into slivers & shards for hurling?

And it would give you a chance to sell more Tinnoc boxes off the shelf (create sliver/shard).

And to raffle off the good ones (create... with blessing, or with +5 to material used, and I think I remember there being a +10 to material used).
Yaaay, more silver drain!

Oh, look! Two events coming up....
Re: stacks of thrown weapons 03/23/2018 03:30 PM CDT
And talking about materials to feed to a Tinnoc box, I'd be willing to plonk down some coin on 20-pound slabs of 'feras'...

Just sayin'.