Weapons and how it sucks to hurl some 07/24/2017 12:17 PM CDT
Seems the whole system behind HURLing a weapon is pretty crummy - I think this is kind of a known thing.

Not much is on the gswiki in regards to it nor on the original play.net/info (http://www.play.net/gs4/info/armory/thrown.asp ).

So, being bored I was curious to how well I could incorporate HURL with my young THW warrior. I even adjusted his stats to give him near maxed strength (96/33). He has on him a 7lb razern military pick that he attempted to HURL. Much to my surprise his attempt to hurl "strained" his back and chest muscles, resulting in a minor wound on both his back and chest and resulted in a 14 second RT. He had his off-hand open when he attmepted to HURL, not that I think that makes a difference without me testing. Also, he does have the Strength spell (509) on him.

I then threw up cman surge (rank 1) and his strength went to 112/41. No more hurting himself HURLing that 7 pounds military pick and his RT was 11 seconds. Oh wow. I can throw it without hurting myself in the process now except I'm still hosed with that horrible RT.

I cleared his minors, adjusted his strength up to max 100/35 and threw that 7lb military pick again. Same result as before, minor chest/back wounds and 14 sec RT.
Now I know a dwarf or half-krolvin can't successfully throw a 7lb THW without chest/back minors with maxed strength. I'm not sure about a giantman, maybe they can (I'm too lazy to test)?

I cleared his minors and tracked down a couple of OHB (2 maces, one made of mithglin and one of feras). Mithglin mace = 7lbs. Feras mace = 8lbs.
Now I've got a OHB that weighs just as much as the THW military pick and one that weighs a pound more. I have my off-hand open.

I can successfully HURL a 7lb mace or a 8lb mace at 5 seconds without injury or outrageous RT.

It seems you're greatly punished for trying to hurl a THW, even if it weighs as much or less than a one handed weapon.

So, when is this mess going to go through a fix? I can understand a higher RT trying to hurl a THW over a OHB/OHE, but getting hurt doing it is just irritating when all the weapons weigh the same or even more so when the THW weighs less.

If HURL isn't going to be updated anytime soon. Could you GMs please post all the ins and outs for it so we can get it on the gswiki? HURL could be an awesome addition to the game if it gets fixed and done well....right now it's kind of like that black sheep of the family that no one wants to recognize and when it's brought up, the subject is ignored or changed.

-Drumpel
Re: Weapons and how it sucks to hurl some 07/24/2017 08:22 PM CDT
<<So, when is this mess going to go through a fix? I can understand a higher RT trying to hurl a THW over a OHB/OHE, but getting hurt doing it is just irritating when all the weapons weigh the same or even more so when the THW weighs less.>>

Don't think THWs were ever ment to be HURLed to begin with for reasons that have more to do with the size of the weapons then their weight. Even if they weigh the same, the shorter length of the handles on OHB weapons would make them easier to send flying through the air then a THW that's most likely at least 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the wielder's body.

I do think, though, that it should be changed to just make THW weapons unhurlable rather then injuring characters.

<If HURL isn't going to be updated anytime soon. Could you GMs please post all the ins and outs for it so we can get it on the gswiki?>

I'm not a GM and I'm certainly not about to suggest that Thrown is fine as is.... but it IS possible to be successful with it if you approach it right, don't mind replacing weapons fairly regularly, and have patience. It's about using finesse rather then brute force.

The DF of the weapon should be a secondary consideration to its weight and which damage table(s) it uses. Lighter weapons are easier to AIM and will have a lower RT, making it much easier to kill critters quickly then heavier weapons that have long RTs and are difficult or impossible to AIM (not to mention are far more expensive to replace when you inevitably lose them). If two weapons weigh about the same and use the same damage table, go with the one with the higher DF.

Similarly, weapons that favor puncture crits are the best because they result in death crits at rank 4 and above. Crush crits come in a close second for heads requiring a rank 5 crit but being easier to AIM at then eyes.

Daggers, for example, make excellent HURLed weapons because they're one of the lightest weapons bases, favor the puncture damage table, and have a very high DF compared to other weapons of similar weight (namely, darts). It's about as easy for a properly trained character to hit the eye with a dagger as it is for a Ranged user with an arrow... and you can hold a shield while doing it.

What I would def like a name in red to answer is if the DF of weapons that don't inspect as thrown is the same when thrown as they are when used as melee...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.