Nets & bolas 06/13/2017 03:20 PM CDT
Would it be possible to change over Nets and Bolas to function under SMRv2 when used as a thrown weapon?

SMRv2 is already based on defending with perception/agility/dexterity and other spells. It only makes sense to remove these two thrown weapons from AS/DS aspect of the system and build them to SMRv2.

Moving them into a new system would undoubtedly require time and plenty of QC, but having throwing weapons that are designed to entangle a target and put them prone doesn't make sense to rely upon AS/DS. I'd even be okay with these two weapons being for only throwing and not for actual melee combat.

Allow magic metal to give improved bonuses/chance to ensnare targets with nets and bolas. Mithril = +5, Ora = +10, etc...

I'd see the net as being more of an ensnaring weapon, ideally used to essentially bind/web a target and result in no damage to the target since it binds them. Have a net work kind of like how 917 does, but without the damage. Target becomes ensnared by a proper throw and over the next 6 seconds (ever 2 seconds) another check/roll is made to see if the target becomes further entangled or breaks free.

I'd see the bola as being more of a tripping weapon (think grasping hands, designed to knock the target down and keep them rooted), but having the weights on the ends you have a good chance of doing some kind of crushing crit(s) if you have a good enough roll. A target could still attack/cast at you, but they'd be prone/rooted until they break free.

Net
You hurl your mithril net at a mezic.
[SMR result: 196 (Open d100: 90, Bonus: 5]
The net lands squarely over your target and drapes around her!
The mezic's arms become entangled and bound to her sides.
Her right leg becomes twisted under the netting, causing her to fall!
A mezic falls to the ground, struggling to free itself!
Roundtime 3 Seconds.
The mezic continues to struggle on the ground.
[SMR result: 168 (Open d100: 22, Bonus: 45)]
Unable to free her hands the mezic remains entangled in the net!
[SMR result: 97 (Open d100: -49, Bonus: 45)]
The mezic methodically frees its arms and legs from the net
A mezic stands back up.

Bola
You hurl your mithril bola at a mezic.
[SMR result: 196 (Open d100: 90, Bonus: 5]
The bola wraps securely around the legs of the mezic!
A mithril ball catches the right leg and a hollow thump is heard!
...15 points of damage!
The mezic falls to the ground as it struggles with the bola!
Roundtime: 3 seconds
[SMR result: 168 (Open d100: 22, Bonus: 45)]
Unable to free her legs the mezic's legs remain bound by the bola.
[SMR result: 97 (Open d100: -49, Bonus: 45)]
The mezic wiggles its legs free of the bola!
The mezic stands back up.

-Drumpel
Re: Nets & bolas 06/13/2017 03:40 PM CDT
Anyone entangled by a net/bola which has flares, should take flares' damage every time they check to escape and fail (i.e. "remain entangled")....
Re: Nets & bolas 06/13/2017 04:09 PM CDT
Like it.

Doug
Re: Nets & bolas 06/14/2017 10:17 AM CDT
+1000

Archales
Re: Nets & bolas 06/14/2017 03:17 PM CDT
Sounds good!
Re: Nets & bolas 06/20/2017 10:05 AM CDT
We've asked for this a bunch of times, but I don't recall such an elegant solution. +1. Nice idea.

Kerl
Re: Nets & bolas 06/20/2017 10:38 AM CDT
>Anyone entangled by a net/bola which has flares, should take flares' damage every time they check to escape and fail (i.e. "remain entangled")....

That's evil. I like it.

Anyway, a thrown weapon or two that entangles/takes down a target like this could be fun to pair up with brawling/UAC. Ensnare the target and then pummel the crap out of them with your hands/fists as they struggle.

I've always been interested in making a character to utilize thrown weapons, but they're so lack luster I actually found it more fun to run around with a warrior that only uses quarterstaves (though having one of those translucent vultite quarterstaff to use makes anything in scale armor or under squish really good helps a lot). It's rather tedious work using quarterstaves, though. Anything in scale, the crit weighting can sometimes be useful, but it's still lacking in power. Anything in plate....wet noodle. I have better luck against plate wearing targets using his 4x plasma (I think it's plasma, been a while since I've swung it) flaring quarterstaff.

Other throwing weapons, I'm not sure how they'd like to handle those, but getting nets and bolas to bind/root targets for a few moments might really make them a worth while addition to thrown weapons. Even if someone strictly throws for their only weapon skill, they could toss a net and then pull out other thrown weapon(s) to hurl at the target to kill them.

-Drumpel
Re: Nets & bolas 06/20/2017 06:58 PM CDT

Good idea. Making a new CMAN that requires equipping a net or bola would be more consistent with other game design though (I think right now maneuvers can be triggered using spells or CMANs)
Re: Nets & bolas 06/20/2017 08:24 PM CDT
I don't think a new CMAN should be required. Someone who trains in hurling is, after all, required to train well beyond a melee or a ranged weapon user, with more skills required to effectively use the skill. Simply "hurl" should be sufficient to throw a net or bola, and thus potentially entangle a foe. My understanding is that the idea is to use SMRv2 for resolution of the attempt, thus getting nets and bolas off of the regular crit tables. I could see perhaps a CMAN called "entangle mastery" for added bonus to entanglement.

Kerl
Re: Nets & bolas 06/20/2017 08:56 PM CDT
>Good idea. Making a new CMAN that requires equipping a net or bola would be more consistent with other game design though (I think right now maneuvers can be triggered using spells or CMANs)

Only problem with that is you greatly hinder certain classes from utilizing a net or bola. Sure, pures can only 1x in thrown weapons, but I'd like to think that 1x in thrown weapons would be a lot easier to obtain and utilize over trying to save up points for CM to get a couple of ranks into a thrown CMAN skill for pures or even semis.

Anyone that can 1x thrown weapons, they'd be less efficient at throwing a net or bola over someone that can 2x - think of TWC for example. A fully 2x trained player in TWC can get a successful swing of the off hand at any target up to 5 levels above them. 1.5x in TWC means always able to get the off hand to strike a like level target and 1x means only 80% chance to get that off hand swing to hit a like level target. The difference between 1x to 2x thrown weapon ranks could be similar - someone that's 1x only gets around 75-80% of power of someone that's 2x. You want 1x to be viable, but not quite as useful as 1.5x and you want 1.5x to be very viable, but not as good as 2x.

With how GSIV is with weapon skills and limitations based on your profession on how many times you can train in said skills, I wouldn't want to exclude anyone from having a chance to utilize a net or bola should some change to make them into an ensnaring/entangling/webbing weapon over what they are now by tying it to a CMAN.

Only reason I thought about the idea of having them moved to SMRv2 is because I remembered they had that "Captain America" shield at the last auction, it functions off SMRv2. A system is in place for my idea. Sure, it would need tweaking and re-writing things and writing some new code, but I certainly could see it being very plausible. Folks are saying thrown weapons needs some love. I think a step like this would be one in the right direction.

-Drumpel
Re: Nets & bolas 06/21/2017 02:04 AM CDT
There could be some kind of net/bola mastery skill that worked much like Punch/Kick/Grapple Mastery to improve the use for those people who can train in the CMANs, but the base ability could be just based on the weapon use?

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
Re: Nets & bolas 06/21/2017 08:42 AM CDT
Also, who says that any given CMan must have the scalar costs (usually 1x for squares, 1.5x for semis, 2x for pures [like 2/3/4]) that many already do? Since costs are specified by profession... why can't there be an, "All" listing?
Sure, the pures are still going to take it on the chin because of the cost-per-rank to get the CMan points, but it wouldn't cost them any more CMan points than anyone else.