Thrown weapons list of problems 04/01/2014 01:23 PM CDT
So, I've never actually seen the list of problems thrown combat has. I've been playing with it for a week and curious if I've hit all the problem areas or if I'm missing any?

Problems I've found with the system...
-lack of untargetted attack option (ie typing hurl by itself doesn't attack anything like typing attack does)
-lack of multi-target attack option (it's a bit gimp in swarms, especially when combined with first issue)
-Wonky RT - picking up a box shoots RT through the roof
-lack of DS - since the skill can be used with non-thrown types it doesn't get a parry DS and that hurts

That about sum it up, or did I miss something?

Dgry
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/01/2014 02:26 PM CDT
I would imaging the mechanic itself of hurling your weapon and having it end up laying on the ground we be a concern as well given it puts high end hurling weapons at much more risk of loss then any other weapon in the game.

Also the projectile weight bundled with the need to carry a large number to hunt with. With archery 100 arrows/bolts will weigh in at 10 lbs? With hurling you would be looking at 200 lbs worth of throwing axes. Not that you need 100 to hunt but it makes for an interesting comparison.

-- Robert
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/01/2014 05:16 PM CDT

Hurling weapons go off into the distance like arrows right?
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/02/2014 05:03 AM CDT
<-lack of DS - since the skill can be used with non-thrown types it doesn't get a parry DS and that hurts>

This was one of the big problems I had with it as well. Actually, not the lack of DS so much as all the extra skills you have to train in in addition to Thrown to maintain a decent DS. If you're going to use a shield and stick to weapons that have a thrown base it's not so bad, but most weapons that appraise as thrown suck, are expensive, and/or aren't easily found and only HURLing one weapon at a time is just plain tedious even at lower levels.

I'd also add having to wait to pick up HURLed weapons and the janitor picking up any weapon in the shadows immediately upon exiting the room as problems.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/02/2014 09:12 AM CDT
Ranged has the advantage of "oh, LOOK, there's a bow in his hand, he must get Ranged DS"... whereas Thrown the system says, "Oh, look, nothing in his hands, he's borked for DS."

If the 'hurl' verb triggered a short-duration effect--which maybe showed up as either a status icon [in the Wizard, icon boxes] or a spell/miscellaneous effect [in 'spell active']--that said, "Oh, he just threw a weapon, let's give him some Ranged DS!" then much of the direct problem of having to train in Brawling (or the weapon type you're Hurling, if you are lucky enough to have a Returner) would be mitigated.
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/02/2014 10:10 AM CDT
No thrown weapons do not fly off into the distances like arrows do. Thrown weapons will be hidden in the room and must be searched out, the only way you can lose them is if you move rooms and the janitor grabs it.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/02/2014 11:47 AM CDT
<the only way you can lose them is if you move rooms and the janitor grabs it.>

It should be noted that if a weapon is hidden in the shadows and you move to another room, even for less then a second, the janitor will almost always take it before you get back. I lost a couple weapons when hunting hisskra when those stupid lizards snatched them up after I was disarmed and I didn't realize they'd HURLed them into the shadows until after I'd already stepped into the next room. So make sure you SEARCH for lost weapons before running around to see if something else picked it up.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/02/2014 07:31 PM CDT
Maybe not the biggest problem with thrown, but hurl is a shared verb, and you can hurl your weapon at ANYTHING. Try hunting a trolls when something dies that was carrying a troll-claw. Even if its a returner, your weapon will be on the ground and get snatched by a mob.

...not that I know from experience.
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/03/2014 09:22 AM CDT
Or having your weapon bounce off a piece of lichen when hunting liches. Not cool Gemstone, not cool.
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/03/2014 03:35 PM CDT
Several years ago I asked for a "force end-of-line character" for general use.
(Both 'sing' and 'loresing' already had one: the semi-colon ";" indicates new-line. At this point, I think the PlayerShop signage has one, too, and maybe CHE/MHO signs & announcements as well.)

That way you could write your macro with "hurl lich<whatever that character wound up being>\r" and know that it would NOT target the 'lichen' because you want lich-with-nothing-after-it.
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/03/2014 05:06 PM CDT
>> Several years ago I asked for a "force end-of-line character" for general use. <<
>> (Both 'sing' and 'loresing' already had one: the semi-colon ";" indicates new-line. At this point, I think the PlayerShop signage has one, too, and maybe CHE/MHO signs & announcements as well.) <<

>> That way you could write your macro with "hurl lich<whatever that character wound up being>\r" and know that it would NOT target the 'lichen' because you want lich-with-nothing-after-it. <<

Hello! Just passing through, and thought I would rain on some parades, burst some bubbles, and crush dreams.

That really isn't how it works.

The ';' character used for the systems you mentioned doesn't do a thing to change how the game interprets data, it merely changes the display of that data to make it prettier for our silly human eyes. The bits of the game that figure out what you are trying to target when you ATTACK, SMILE, SAY, or essentially target something in anyway is handled deep in the belly of the beast where none dare tread. And by not dare, I mean to say we can't. And by we, I mean off-site staff.

Oh yes, standard disclaimer: I am NOT on the Dev team. I have NO say, power, or authority over the thrown or combat systems in general. I could, um... make pretty throwing daggers maybe, and that's about it.

GM Reidyn
CE Systems
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/03/2014 05:57 PM CDT

There used to BE a behavior that acted like a force end-of-line character. Actually, recall is that it acted more like a start of line character.

I regularly used the 'feature' to be able to append a short speech or 'oomph' or 'uggh' to an attack command. We could type the command and speech in while waiting for RT to pass. It made battles more engaging.

As an old programmer (wrote my first program in 1974), I was impressed that Simutronics was parsing two commands in a single packet transfer. However, I think it was determined to be a bug and not a feature, and went away about 15 years ago.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/03/2014 07:28 PM CDT
Well, with melee attacks, if I attack an inanimate object, I get the "ambush mercilessly" message, not "you're an idiot and just attacked an herb". Just do what needs to be done to go to the ambush message and problem solved.
Re: Thrown weapons list of problems 04/04/2014 09:55 AM CDT
>>There used to BE a behavior that acted like a force end-of-line character. Actually, recall is that it acted more like a start of line character.

>>I regularly used the 'feature' to be able to append a short speech or 'oomph' or 'uggh' to an attack command. We could type the command and speech in while waiting for RT to pass. It made battles more engaging.

>>As an old programmer (wrote my first program in 1974), I was impressed that Simutronics was parsing two commands in a single packet transfer. However, I think it was determined to be a bug and not a feature, and went away about 15 years ago.

Yeah, I recall that speech using the ' (or maybe the ") character would separate itself... so you could type:

ne'Let's go

...and you would both go northeast and say "Let's go."

I'd only ever used it by accident.