Perception and CM 07/15/2013 08:52 AM CDT
Do you need 40 ranks in Perception and CM before they start contributing toward your AS (like Perception and Ambush for Ranged) or do they always contribute?

I'm looking at ways to bump my OHE training up to 2x on my thrown weapons rogue since he's relying on dagger based weapons and could use the extra DS (there aren't any easily available darts in the town he's in and I'm NOT mastering fletching with a third character). Since only 2x in perception counts towards AS for thrown, I figured 3x was wasting points on a character that's never going to pick boxes and is fairly tight on TPs...

...anyway, when looking on Krakiipedia to make sure I wasn't making a mistake I noticed that it doesn't mention anything about 40 ranks in the AS formula for Thrown and figured I'd ask.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Perception and CM 07/15/2013 12:33 PM CDT
That is odd, and yes, it works exactly like ranged where you need the 40 ranks before they start adding to your AS.
Re: Perception and CM 07/15/2013 01:05 PM CDT
>Do you need 40 ranks in Perception and CM before they start contributing toward your AS (like Perception and Ambush for Ranged) or do they always contribute? -- Starchitin

There is no minimum for thrown AS.

I think this is the correct formula:

Thrown AS = Weapon Skill + round(STR bonus + DEX bonus)/2 + round(PER ranks + CM ranks)/4

The AS bonus from perception ranks caps at 2x level. AFAIK there isn't a 2x CM cap.

Mark
Re: Perception and CM 07/15/2013 02:56 PM CDT
I just checked with a low level thrown character I've got that I never play, the STR and DEX bonus doesn't seem to round but the perception + combat maneuvers did.
22 ranks thrown (96 bonus)
22 ranks perception
22 ranks combat maneuvers
17 STR bonus
22 DEX bonus
2 ranks wspec
130 AS

Dropped 2 ranks of perception and his AS stayed the same. I guess I should have really dropped 3 ranks to see if that made a difference first but oh well.
Re: Perception and CM 07/15/2013 07:11 PM CDT
The perception definitely rounds, and there is no cap on CM (other than the cap on CM enhancives). I think Mark has the formula right. Find yourself dex/str or dex/cm enhancives for double win.

Kerl
Re: Perception and CM 07/15/2013 09:34 PM CDT
Thanks for the info, since it's a fairly low level character (level 12) I'm tinkering with I'll just stop training in Perception until it's 2x rather then wasting a fixskills. Esp since my tinkering with the manager shows that I won't be able to afford a full 2x in OHE unless I sacrifice ranks in skills I'm not willing to drop.

Luckily a kind soul donated one of those boxes that make dart based shards to the cause. If I can just figure out a way for the gnome to lug around the 25lb thing without being constantly encumbered I'll be set!

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Perception and CM 07/15/2013 09:50 PM CDT
>Luckily a kind soul donated one of those boxes that make dart based shards to the cause. If I can just figure out a way for the gnome to lug around the 25lb thing without being constantly encumbered I'll be set!

Make the shards beforehand. Then stuff them in a container. There's no need to lug around the actual slab.

-farmer
>He's right on all counts. ~Vanah
>Farmer is 100% correct. -REIDYN
>Farmer is correct -Wyrom
Re: Perception and CM 07/15/2013 09:51 PM CDT
Throwing in my two cents about the formula, from my experience, Mark's got it right.

-farmer
>He's right on all counts. ~Vanah
>Farmer is 100% correct. -REIDYN
>Farmer is correct -Wyrom
Re: Perception and CM 07/16/2013 01:30 PM CDT
spend 300 silver and take the slabs into the forge and cut them into smaller sizes that don't encumber you
Re: Perception and CM 07/16/2013 01:33 PM CDT
The original slabs for the boxes were small slabs and weighed 5 lbs,heavy slabs can be cut down and then loaded into the boxes.
Re: Perception and CM 07/16/2013 11:41 PM CDT
Ah, that's good to know. I've never messed with forging before so I didn't know they could be cut.

Starchitin