Nine months since the last Konacon post. 06/19/2013 01:37 AM CDT
"How's that thrown review coming?" he asked to the yawning abyss which long ago ripped his soul out through his eyes and used it to beat his dreams of non-borked thrown mechanics into a bloody pile of tears and shattered expectations.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 06/19/2013 01:54 AM CDT
<<<"How's that thrown review coming?" he asked to the yawning abyss which long ago ripped his soul out through his eyes and used it to beat his dreams of non-borked thrown mechanics into a bloody pile of tears and shattered expectations.>>>

Well at least it hasn't troubled you much.

~ Heathyr
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 06/19/2013 08:36 AM CDT

Hopefully a dev will throw their hat into the ring on this one ...
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 06/21/2013 12:08 PM CDT

mebbe they still be sittin on it ...

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 06/24/2013 05:57 PM CDT
It sure would be nice to hear something other than total silence about this. Is Konacon even still on staff?
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/01/2013 05:18 PM CDT
Maybe we should just turn this into a forum game, start taking bets on how long it will take to get a response to this issue? We'll have to have one of those gambling peoples make up some rules though, anything beyond playing poker is out of my depth.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/01/2013 06:28 PM CDT
>Maybe we should just turn this into a forum game, start taking bets on how long it will take to get a response to this issue? We'll have to have one of those gambling peoples make up some rules though, anything beyond playing poker is out of my depth.- LEDBETTERM

How about a drinking game for people who don't drink? Every time a GM posts something about thrown weapons, take a shot!

/duck

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/01/2013 08:56 PM CDT
Hey Finros, go fix thrown.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/02/2013 06:09 PM CDT

>> Hey Finros, go fix thrown.

Didn't he do Monks / UAC?
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/02/2013 06:12 PM CDT
Yessir.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/02/2013 07:24 PM CDT
>>Didn't he do Monks / UAC?<<

Hmm, now he has to fix both Thrown AND Monks!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/02/2013 07:25 PM CDT
Clearly, the fix should be the ability for us to throw monks at targets.

- Metadi
Speaking to Hadya, you scold, "You Luukosians and your altared realities."
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/02/2013 09:17 PM CDT
>Hey Finros, go fix thrown.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but thrown combat isn't really an area that I'm personally interested in right now. There are a number of other projects which are of equal or higher priority, and time is always an issue.

It is probably safe to consider the thrown review on hiatus for now, unfortunately.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/02/2013 09:50 PM CDT
Eh. Thanks for being honest, Fin. Yell at someone to take an interest when you get the chance.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/03/2013 12:09 AM CDT
"YOU. SHALL. NOT. PASS!" - what thrown says to any GM that attempts to cross the bridge from idea to release

-farmer
>He's right on all counts. ~Vanah
>Farmer is 100% correct. -REIDYN
>Farmer is correct -Wyrom
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/03/2013 01:50 AM CDT
I'm just thrilled throwing monks wasn't ruled out.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/03/2013 08:31 AM CDT

Well darn Finros, I think the work you did on the UAC system gave us the most fun combat style in the game ... I'd love to see what you would have done with thrown!

p.s. Can you give monks the thrown hat decapitating weapon as seen in such kung fu documentaries as "Master of the Flying Guillotine" and "Iron Monkey 2"? :)
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/03/2013 01:53 PM CDT

I just want kitchen sinks as a thrown weapon type!
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/03/2013 09:35 PM CDT
I'm thinking towels would be good, too. At least at the moment...

~ Heathyr
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/03/2013 09:56 PM CDT
The Curse of the Thrown Combat Review strikes again. So very disappointing.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/03/2013 10:07 PM CDT
And yet not surprising in the slightest, nor is the staff attitude displayed by Finros to just give up on it happening.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/03/2013 10:14 PM CDT
Just to be clear, my calling on Finros was in good fun. To imply he in any way was or should be responsible for the thrown review is flat out wrong. If anything, you should be appreciative of the response you got. It is a very, very rare thing for GS to get a straight answer, whether its the one you wanted or not.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/04/2013 01:32 AM CDT
We should be appreciative of being told that it's not happening YET AGAIN? Appreciative that we even got a response? Interesting standards of customer service you have there.

I'd be appreciative of not having silence for ten months - and who knows how much longer if there hadn't been some activity in this folder. I'd be appreciative of being kept up to date on the status of projects. I'd be really appreciative of it actually being done.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/04/2013 07:43 AM CDT
>We should be appreciative of being told that it's not happening YET AGAIN? Appreciative that we even got a response?

Yes. This is most certainly NOT the standard you will find around here.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/04/2013 09:27 PM CDT

Yeah you should be happy with at least getting straight up no and I wish we'd get them more often no matter the complaints.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/12/2013 09:25 PM CDT
>"YOU. SHALL. NOT. PASS!" - what thrown says to any GM that attempts to cross the bridge from idea to release

It isn't quite that bad. But combat system redesign and re-implementation is tricky, and it is easy to get overwhelmed by the details.

>p.s. Can you give monks the thrown hat decapitating weapon as seen in such kung fu documentaries as "Master of the Flying Guillotine" and "Iron Monkey 2"? :)

I do have to admit that I'm a fan of exotic headgear -- and Oddjob's bowler hat is something I've thought about. Such an item isn't outside the realm of possibility.

>And yet not surprising in the slightest, nor is the staff attitude displayed by Finros to just give up on it happening.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you've called me out personally about a project that I had nothing to do with, merely because I stated that it is on pause. Is it really a surprise that most staff members aren't exactly eager to chime in on such subjects, when the result is to be personally criticized?

As always, I remain willing to give input wherever specifically asked, but I wouldn't be able to honestly advise another staff member that it is rewarding to do so, if one were to ask my opinion on the matter.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/12/2013 10:06 PM CDT
>>I remain willing to give input wherever specifically asked, but I wouldn't be able to honestly advise another staff member that it is rewarding to do so
Finros

That is where the disconnect lies, for me. I believe that updating players on game development should be part of the job - not something that is able to be done or not depending on the mood of the staff member. Does the fact that players do not even expect responses from staff any more honestly not strike you as indicative of a failure in staff communication?

I'd still like to know if all grimswarm runestaves are generated with some innate magical quality that keeps them from being destroyed with 1002 but there has been no response to that either.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/12/2013 11:16 PM CDT
<<<I believe that updating players on game development should be part of the job>>>

It's a little unfair, I think, to expect Finros--or any other GM--to provide an "update" on the development of parts of the game they have absolutely nothing to do with. When they chime in, it's welcome and appreciated, but they're certainly under no obligation to do so. Especially when the message is, essentially, "Nothing to report." ;)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/13/2013 12:45 AM CDT
>>It's a little unfair, I think, to expect Finros--or any other GM--to provide an "update" on the development of parts of the game they have absolutely nothing to do with.

Of course. Frankly, I don't know where you came up with the idea that I would expect that. The GMs who are working on development should provide updates on the parts of the game they are working on.

Also, the message here was not "nothing to report" - it was that development on the thrown review had stopped again and nobody bothered to mention it. That is certainly worth reporting but was not.
Re: Nine months since the last Konacon post. 07/13/2013 01:12 AM CDT
Called you out? No, I merely stated that the attitude displayed by staff is that thrown is not important. Even when we had a GM claim to be nearly finished with the review at one point. Somehow despite it being nearly finished, we're now back to square one and it's back to the drawing board when and if a new GM takes an interest?

When a GM works on thrown review and leaves staff, all progress is gone with that GM and the thrown review languishes. For years. It's a pretty poorly designed system that progress isn't saved and able to be continued and finished at some point by someone else on staff.

I'm sorry you feel that I was being critical of you or somehow calling you out. I was merely expressing frustration that after months of asking for an update, the first answer we get is 'not happening'.

-Richard/Fjalar.