Someone's working on things 07/08/2012 03:51 PM CDT
Finros was messing with hurling last night and some odd things happened. I'm going to take that as a good sign... even though my returning axe was going out as an axe and returning as a falchion for a bit.

Kerl
Re: Someone's working on things 07/08/2012 10:07 PM CDT
Say more!
Re: Someone's working on things 07/08/2012 10:55 PM CDT
>>even though my returning axe was going out as an axe and returning as a falchion for a bit.

Say more!

Vivaldi's weapon went out as a hoe, and returned battered and dirty.

I'm not sure that's news though.

Dgry
Re: Someone's working on things 07/08/2012 11:55 PM CDT
There's really not much more to say. We were hunting bandits when things got wonky:

<<With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a black glaes throwing axe into flight.
You throw a falchion at a gnomish brigand!
Rolling hurriedly, the gnomish brigand blocks the missile with his reinforced shield!
Roundtime: 3 sec.

That happened a few times, pause for "what the..." and then:

<<SEND[Marstreforn] Sorry for the weirdness! We're working some things out right now and didn't see that coming! Please proceed with caution. :-)

After that, everything was back to normal. I'm hopeful this is a demonstration that someone is working on hurling.

Kerl
Re: Someone's working on things 07/09/2012 02:28 AM CDT
>Finros was messing with hurling last night and some odd things happened. I'm going to take that as a good sign... even though my returning axe was going out as an axe and returning as a falchion for a bit.

It was entirely unrelated to thrown, I'm afraid. I was putting out a large number of backend changes which should have been invisible to players. You were one of a few people that saw some inconsistent results for a few moments.
Re: Someone's working on things 07/09/2012 09:22 AM CDT
dang, and here i was hoping i would flick a chronomage dagger into somethings eye and it would return a chronomage falchion:(
Re: Someone's working on things 07/09/2012 01:09 PM CDT
The bad news is that in a related note, fetish masters appear to have gained parry defense vs thrown weapons. This makes them particularly tough to kill, as they're DS averages about 550, ranging from 490-620 or so.. especially when a third of the time they now seem to parry your attack. I've been told they are looking into it though, so keep the faith.

Kerl
Re: Someone's working on things 07/10/2012 02:52 AM CDT
I have responded to this issue in the Developer's Corner topic: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Hunting%20and%20Combat/Developer%27s%20Corner%20--%20Hunting%20&%20Combat/view/359
Re: Someone's working on things 08/08/2012 05:44 PM CDT
Someone is still working on things, whether it be Finros or not. I would KILL to be permitted to show you something, but that time has not arrived yet.

Gamemaster Konacon
Squares Team
Re: Someone's working on things 08/10/2012 01:47 AM CDT
Just know that you have willing subjects when the time comes.

Looking forward to it,

Kerl
Re: Someone's working on things 08/13/2012 10:44 AM CDT
>Just know that you have willing subjects when the time comes.
Kerl

If you want a character with non-uber stats and skills and gear, I'd gladly dust off the Ranger.

-farmer
Re: Someone's working on things 09/07/2012 03:50 PM CDT
How's work? I haven't played in a week or more, but would love to have an update.

Kerl

PS: I'm still on occasion hurling at lichen instead of liches.
Re: Someone's working on things 09/11/2012 07:11 PM CDT
Recently changed my rogue from 2x ranged to 2x thrown 1x shield (equal point cost) to use a nifty chronomage dagger I was tired of seeing in my locker. I lost more than 100 DS and i'm very less formidable when it comes to killing things with eye crits (perhaps I should fling poo).

Two specific questions for thrown weapons review;

1) Currently there are returners and chronomage daggers that do not inspect as thrown weapons giving no defense, etc - CHANGE PLEASE?

2) Currently there are no crit bonus' for using thrown from hiding - CHANGE PLEASE?
Re: Someone's working on things 09/12/2012 12:05 AM CDT
You will need to train in Edged Weapons to gain any parry defense from a dagger.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Someone's working on things 09/13/2012 11:48 AM CDT
"You will need to train in Edged Weapons to gain any parry defense from a dagger." -- Marstreforn

Any chance that we could get something like 'grip' for the non-Thrown-weapons-which-can-be-Thrown, to toggle them between <whatever they are> and Thrown like 1HEdged/2Hand does for bastard weapons? Because daggers are Thrown to that extent, even though they are not specifically classed as Thrown weapons.

An alternative would be to always have Thrown weapons go into the left hand, and be considered like Bows for generating DS.

Of course, completing the entire Thrown review process would be a good choice, too. <nod>
Re: Someone's working on things 09/13/2012 03:12 PM CDT
>"You will need to train in Edged Weapons to gain any parry defense from a dagger." -- Marstreforn

>Any chance that we could get something like 'grip' for the non-Thrown-weapons-which-can-be-Thrown, to toggle them between <whatever they are> and Thrown like 1HEdged/2Hand does for bastard weapons? Because daggers are Thrown to that extent, even though they are not specifically classed as Thrown weapons.

I would kill to be able to share details with you right now, but I can't. What I -can- say is that I think you'll all be pleased with the results of the review.

Gamemaster Konacon (STILL WORKING I PROMISE)
Squares Team
Re: Someone's working on things 09/13/2012 04:09 PM CDT
Kill him. <point SomeoneElse>

Just don't retire, or downgrade to 'Contributing', that's all. <poke Konacon>
Re: Someone's working on things 09/13/2012 10:29 PM CDT

super happy to hear theres some motion in this folder as i would love to have fun with the style points in a hurling vs the obvious ease of a longbow in comparison
Re: Someone's working on things 09/13/2012 10:50 PM CDT
Very nice to hear progress is being made and look forward to seeing what you have in store for us.

-Richard/Fjalar.