Another fix that is desperately needed 03/30/2012 02:40 PM CDT
There's a quirk with hurling that can at times be quite alarming, and potentially result in the loss of a weapon. If I'm a melee weapon user, and I take a stab at a leaf or a table or some other inanimate object, I "stab at it mercilessly" or whatever that message is; no harm done to you or the leaf or table. On the other hand, if I hurl a weapon at it, I end up with my weapon laying on the ground. Now, of course no hurler does this on purpose, but what does happen is that you can end up for example, hurling your weapon at a piece of lichen instead of a lich. Even if you are using a returning weapon, it won't return, but rather ends up laying on the ground, as that script seems to trump returning scripts. To put it bluntly, returner or no returner, this sucks and needs to be fixed.

Since throwing a weapon at an inanimate objected can't do anything other than result in a moment of panic, or worse, a lost weapon, please change the result to something like this:

"you raise your axe in the air and wave it at the lichen menacingly. That will teach it!"

or in honor of The Gauntlet video game:

"Eat your food, don't kill it!"

Kerl
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 03/30/2012 05:40 PM CDT

There's a quirk with hurling that can at times be quite alarming, and potentially result in the loss of a weapon.

I don't hurl, so I never run into this but it's definitely a bug that should be fixed. I'm somewhat surprised this is the first time I've seen it mentioned.

Dgry
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 03/31/2012 10:03 AM CDT
Mindful as I am with losing weapons, I like hurling random stuff at inanimate objects for fun...helps me relieve stress when punching bags aren't available.
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 06/29/2012 04:20 PM CDT
This is still a big problem. The other night we were invaded by crossbowmen, who of course used crossbows. So what did I through my axe at in the middle of an invasion? A crossbow. Why not at the crossbowman who was standing there? Because I'd only typed "hurl crossbow" and there was a crosssbow lying on the ground in front of the crossbowman. And with lots of folks using AOE attack spells, I could have easily lost that axe.

This will never happen to anyone who uses any other attack method. You do not attack innanimate objects with any other attack form and risk losing your weapon in the process. There is absolutely zero mechanical benefit or purpose to this, and it should be replaced with the waving menacingly at said object instead. Please fix this.

Kerl
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 06/29/2012 04:36 PM CDT

While I agree totally that you shouldn't risk losing a weapon in this manner, I still would like the ability to throw things at stuff (occasionally I like to have a temper tantrum and throw something like a severed arm at somethin inanimate, like a bench or statue). Perhaps hurl will work only for attack but if i want to throw something in a temper tantrum it can be throw verb instead of hurl?
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 06/29/2012 04:36 PM CDT

While I agree totally that you shouldn't risk losing a weapon in this manner, I still would like the ability to throw things at stuff (occasionally I like to have a temper tantrum and throw something like a severed arm at somethin inanimate, like a bench or statue). Perhaps hurl will work only for attack but if i want to throw something in a temper tantrum it can be throw verb instead of hurl?
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 06/29/2012 05:19 PM CDT
That works for me. The throw verb, as well as toss, are used for other things and could be used to generate the current effect. Also, my proposed menacing waving of your (insert item here) could fit well in your temper tantrum antics.

Kerl
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 06/29/2012 06:23 PM CDT
I'm curious, what macro do you use to hurl your axe? Would not something using the TARGET command not make hurling safer? You can't TARGET a crossbow, that I am aware of...would it not either say invalid target?

target random\rhurl target\r would at least make sure you're not aiming at something that's not a valid creature even if it randomized what you attacked. Perhaps more utilization of that verb would make your hurling more safe?

~Galenok
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 06/29/2012 08:22 PM CDT
That might help, but targeting random during an invasion is pretty much ass backwards compared to how you want to take down critters. It's also not the point. A possible temp stop-gap solution, but the problem is that there's a mechanic that just makes you drop your stuff on the ground. It's dumb and doesn't apply to any other attack type.

Kerl
Re: Another fix that is desperately needed 06/30/2012 08:18 PM CDT
The TARGET random bit was just an example of using the TARGET verb. There are others. I'm not telling you that your complaint is invalid. I am trying to offer you advice on how to work around it until it can be fixed.

Getting used to using a small script/macro that includes the target verb before you hurl your weapon may (I would think) prevent the same event from occurring.

~Galenok