X-Post from Necromancy - DO NO ANIMATE SHAPERS 08/10/2016 04:22 PM CDT
So there was an interesting experience last night in animating a shaper.

I arrived back in Solhaven, North market with my animate to see a corpse in town. My shaper saw it too, immediately made it into a lurk. That lurk immediately killed someone sleeping. That second dead person immediately became a lurk. Things could have gotten out of hand really quickly if not for me quickly telling my animate to die and removing the lurks.

I'm happy to provide as much testing as needed to get these unruly sand people under control. Because if not, they'll be back, and in greater numbers.
Re: X-Post from Necromancy - DO NO ANIMATE SHAPERS 08/10/2016 04:23 PM CDT

>>I arrived back in Solhaven, North market with my animate to see a corpse in town. My shaper saw it too, immediately made it into a lurk. That lurk immediately killed someone sleeping. That second dead person immediately became a lurk. Things could have gotten out of hand really quickly if not for me quickly telling my animate to die and removing the lurks.

Pandemic..solhaven version.
Re: X-Post from Necromancy - DO NO ANIMATE SHAPERS 08/10/2016 04:59 PM CDT
>>they'll be back, and in greater numbers.

Props for the OK reference!

Doug
Re: X-Post from Necromancy - DO NO ANIMATE SHAPERS 08/10/2016 05:05 PM CDT
<I arrived back in Solhaven, North market with my animate to see a corpse in town. My shaper saw it too, immediately made it into a lurk. That lurk immediately killed someone sleeping. That second dead person immediately became a lurk. Things could have gotten out of hand really quickly if not for me quickly telling my animate to die and removing the lurks. >

That is pretty awesome (not for the sleeper but).
Re: X-Post from Necromancy - DO NO ANIMATE SHAPERS 08/10/2016 05:05 PM CDT
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/46/46161a72a202acd6468b1b02c2d9ad0f07db49bf4d5c72db635595e6efaa61e3.jpg
Re: X-Post from Necromancy - DO NO ANIMATE SHAPERS 08/11/2016 12:44 PM CDT

I hope they keep this feature. It has potential for some fun RP. "I'm an evil sorcerer who can raise an army of undead ... Oh, no, they've turned on me!"

Like meteor swarm, you'd have to choose a remote region and warn everyone. But it seems kind of cool! Reminds me of how moulis can explode out of people.
Re: X-Post from Necromancy - DO NO ANIMATE SHAPERS 08/11/2016 12:49 PM CDT
>Like meteor swarm, you'd have to choose a remote region and warn everyone. But it seems kind of cool!

I assure you that this isn't cool at all. It's so uncool that nobody uses it.

~ Methais
Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 01:06 PM CDT
I'll be working on the unintended interaction with Animate.

The sentinels' Disarm is also going the way of the dodo. I have never had a problem with Disarm as a player and saw it as upping the ante, but I empathize.

As for the three minute delay on one's first trip to the Sanctum, that's not going to change.

I'm gratified by the people who enjoy the Sanctum. For those who don't, it's just another option among a variety of post-cap choices.

Auchand
Captain of the Firebird
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 01:53 PM CDT
It is a pretty cool area, thanks for your work making it!

Let's replace that disarm on the sentinels then to keep it exciting! How about mighty blow (not sure if works with cutlass)? Or Coup.
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 03:06 PM CDT

Shame there is not a caravan to New Ta Faendryl:)

Aurach
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 03:24 PM CDT
>The sentinels' Disarm is also going the way of the dodo.

This is great news.

>I have never had a problem with Disarm as a player and saw it as upping the ante...

The thing is when the ante is raised, the rewards also scale up with it. That's typically not the case when dealing with areas that disarm in GS. I mean nobody's gonna buy into a $100 poker game just to win $50, so naturally nobody's going to want to risk their weapon of doom for 3k and a yellow sapphire.

~ Methais
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 03:30 PM CDT
Just want to say that I really enjoyed my experience in the Sanctum last night. I thought the environment was neat and the creatures were fun. It was challenging without being too frustrating and I really enjoyed that.

One thing that did frustrate me was the Sea of Fire itself. The roundtime and health loss itself wasn't bad, it was just the sheer randomness of travel. I think I'd be okay with the ill effects, knowing that north would eventually get me to the Sanctum, south would eventually get me to the Oasis, after a random amount of travel. But the fact that it's directionally-random and I ended up back at the Sanctum 4 times when I was trying to leave....that was a little frustrating. Now that I've read the boards and know I can set a ring I'll probably be doing that.

High five on the gems, too, they're neat.

I've never really had an issue with disarm as a player either, but I see where others are coming from. I can't say I view it as a bad thing that it's being removed from the sentinels' repertoire.

All in all, really great job with this place and I'm happy to have another capped hunting area in the "main western part" of the game, closer than Teras and the Rift.
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 03:51 PM CDT
Thanks for supporting the disarm discussion / concerns, Auchand!

Doug
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 03:56 PM CDT
"Unintended interaction with Animate" is such a wonderful euphemism for "Initiating Elanthia's equivalent of World War Z."

Loving everything about the Sea of Fire, by the way, aside from that pesky disarm. I'll be glad to throw away my E-bladed toothpicks and bring out my good staff instead!
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 05:41 PM CDT
>The sentinels' Disarm is also going the way of the dodo. I have never had a problem with Disarm as a player and saw it as upping the ante, but I empathize.

Thank you!!! I can understand the desire to up the ante, but it certainly can be very gut-wrenching when something disastrous happens. Only once did I have an issue, and that wasn't with Disarm but with Itchy Curse instead. Cursed and RT-locked I dropped an undead bane fusion sledgehammer I had recently paid over 45m silver for, a critter picked it up & chucked it out of the room while the others continued to keep me in an RT nightmare i couldn't escape from. The weapon had been swept up by the janitor by the time things faded and I was just barely not dead anymore. Luckily a GM was able to get this back to me, but if it had truly been lost completely I would have been devastated by that loss.

I look forward to taking a look into the Sanctum and seeing how Durakar fares there.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 06:08 PM CDT
I too wish to thank you for removing disarm. Have you already removed it? If not, will you announce when you have?

-Madmountan's Player
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 07:46 PM CDT
Thank you for being so responsive to feedback and adjusting things based off of it! (Especially the disarm part!)

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 08:13 PM CDT
Likewise. Big kudos for listening to the feedback and making those adjustments.
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 09:32 PM CDT
>I too wish to thank you for removing disarm. Have you already removed it? If not, will you announce when you have?

No. I have a really cool idea for it and it will be a relatively fast thing to implement if it gets approved, but then it will need to be QC'd.

There's a limit to what I can do off the cuff, sorry!

Auchand
Captain of the Firebird
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/11/2016 10:59 PM CDT
I just want to say, aside from the disarming(which, YAY thank you for listening and can't wait to use my good stick), I'm loving every. little. thing. about this place. It has been a blast mapping, exploring and poking around the desert rest stops(future area expansions?!) and the SoS itself. So many neat things to look at. I think the creatures and area effects are just challenging enough and so well thought out. And the gems are just gorgeous!

Being lurkified is such a cool mechanic to experience, I didn't even mind dying heh. I just wish I could SEE what was going on whilst my lurkish self terrorized those around me.

The periapt is a wonderful, helpful touch too(ew.). Make it hidden in inventory a la confluence soulstones, pretty pleeeease?

I'm enjoying helping people get around too, so if anyone needs any assistance, just ask Satia if she's around. I do understand and agree that flavor-wise, one should not be able to gate/ring/fog into the SoS itself, and I'm ever grateful that we're able to gate between the rest stops in the desert. I do however feel that we should be able to fog or gate out of the desert maze.

I noticed that the 130 anchor room in the oasis still gives wind effects as of earlier today, and I have yet to find an actual node of any kind anywhere in the area, though there are a few "safe" rooms. I hope we can figure out a good spot to rest/heal/raise soon.

What else, what else.. Oh! I noticed the door to the Oculus room was closed earlier today.. Intended? And speaking of doors.. I am sooo curious what is behind that -other- closed door.

Requests from some friends- A node at the oasis with a trash can and a teeny tiny tiki bar for 1020 please!

That's all I have, besides a giant heartfelt thank you to everyone who helped create, test, tweak, and release my new favorite hunting ground. Thank you!

The flamepoint sand kitten hisses at a patchwork flesh monstrosity.
... 9 points of damage!
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/12/2016 10:22 AM CDT
>No. I have a really cool idea for it and it will be a relatively fast thing to implement if it gets approved, but then it will need to be QC'd.

Are critters going to grab our arm(s) and make us beat ourselves to death with our own weapons? Because that would be pretty awesome, as long as it doesn't happen to me of course.

Also since there are undead here, does Symbol of Seeking work?

~ Methais
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/12/2016 10:44 PM CDT
Thank you for the trashcan and node!

The flamepoint sand kitten hisses at a patchwork flesh monstrosity.
... 9 points of damage!
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/13/2016 08:03 AM CDT
Have any maps been posted yet?

~ Methais
Re: Sanctum Stuff 08/13/2016 10:55 AM CDT

http://imgur.com/a/gji7M