You have gained Xx experience points. 05/16/2015 07:51 PM CDT

I'm curious, why is there no message when you absorb experience from your exp bucket?

I'd like to see a generic message for exp absorption since we have messages for everything else. (Ex: You absorb 25 experience points.)
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/16/2015 08:00 PM CDT

uberbar in Lich will show you your last pulse, avg/hr and since login. Not saying Simu shouldn't replicate functionality, but it is available now if you want it.
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/17/2015 10:13 AM CDT
Definitely a request I don't mind.

...so long as it's a flag I can disable!

I appreciate some people like to see certain messaging, where others don't. Sometimes I wish there were even more flags to customize our game feed without squelching.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/18/2015 10:07 AM CDT
The problem lies in the variable mana pulsing. Mana pulses on every second experience pulse (said the other way, experience pulses twice as often as mana), but instead of the fixed "every two minutes" that it used to be it is now up to, I believe, "every two minutes + 1-30 seconds."

But the variable portion of that is actually done on the first experience pulse. (i.e. "After you receive mana, the next pulse of experience will be 60-90 seconds later.)
I'm pretty sure that the actual mana pulse is always 60 seconds after that experience pulse.
(At least, that's the way it was working when I was bothering to pay attention and time things, in the late '90s/early '00s.)
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/18/2015 11:09 AM CDT

I'm not sure why you're thinking mana, because I'm asking to see experience gains. Experience is absorbed, so there should be a way to spit out a message when that happens.
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/18/2015 11:34 AM CDT
The point was that you can use one (mana returns) to get you in the neighborhood of the other. I mentioned both because the timers are linked. (Or expressed another way, there is only one timer: half the time with two effects [exp & mana both], half with just one [only exp].)

Mana used to be "every two minutes", period. Experience was one minute into the cycle. This was entirely too reliable, and saw things like people scurrying through a hunting ground to be on a local Node to catch the mana, then running back out to kill things. Too powerful.

Now it's variable, but only so far (up to as much as +30s). But the experience-only pulse is the one that is variable; the mana always comes 60s after it.

(And naturally, you can't rely on either one of them if you have none of it to happen. If you have no field experience, you can't use the just-experience pulse to tell you when the mana pulse is only 60s away; if you have full mana, you cannot use the mana-plus-experience pulse to tell you when the clock starts for the experience-only one.)
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/18/2015 01:16 PM CDT
Luckily this is all solved with stamina ;)

Drain your stamina with an active cman, stamina returns on both pulses.
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/18/2015 01:23 PM CDT

<<Luckily this is all solved with stamina ;)>>

Not true, it would only be solved if there is a message when you actually absorb experience. I want to see the exp gain, there are already messages for regaining stamina and mana.
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/18/2015 02:09 PM CDT
Yea I understand that request.

I meant Krakii's calculating of pulse times.
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/19/2015 10:19 AM CDT
This is, incidentally, something I imagine a clever lich scripter could whip up in 10 minutes.

(I am not that clever, though)

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/19/2015 07:43 PM CDT
>>This is, incidentally, something I imagine a clever lich scripter could whip up in 10 minutes.

This script is now on the Lich repository named loud-exp-pulse.

- Tillmen
Re: You have gained Xx experience points. 05/21/2015 11:03 PM CDT
<<This script is now on the Lich repository named loud-exp-pulse. - Tillmen

Thank you Tillmen, excellent work as always :)