Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/28/2014 10:17 AM CST
Noticed Tanivar wasn't learning very fast this morning and watched the experience numbers change. Hunting Warriors and Magus in the Labyrinth he's absorbing 20 per minute, in the Landing off node it jumped to 29, in the Bowels it's his usual 31 per minute, back to the Labyrinth and down to 18 (mind had reached clear).

Tanivar is level 84 and can still learn in the Labyrinth. has this been the usual thing or a recent change?

Tanivar Somakre

Healing, you want it, you shall have it.
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/28/2014 09:31 PM CST
Just checking...

Your mind absorbs at different rates based upon several factors. So, was your mind at the same level (fried, clear, etc.) when you checked? Also, did you have any injuries to head or nerves at the times you checked? Were you armed or unarmed at all times? There may even be other factors for all I know.

~Taverkin
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/29/2014 01:55 AM CST
>Your mind absorbs at different rates based upon several factors. So, was your mind at the same level (fried, clear, etc.) when you checked? Also, did you have any injuries to head or nerves at the times you checked? Were you armed or unarmed at all times? There may even be other factors for all I know.

>~Taverkin

Mind was about 2/3 of the bar, no wounds or scars. I'd turned in a bounty to fill his mind, messed around town a bit, then went to the Labyrinth for an easy hunt and to keep his mind fairly well filled. I'm putting in a lot of play time trying to get within 5 levels of someone I want to hunt with. I was hunting with a runestaff in hand and fogged to town from the Labyrinth, checked the learning rate, scripted to the Bowels, checked the rate there, then used a gold ring to return to the Labyrinth via the Hidden Plateau. Mind was about half there. His learning rate is 1/3 lower in the Labyrinth than it is in town, off node, and in the Bowels after swimming in.

Out of curiousity, what happens to your learning rate hunting monsters about 6 to 8 levels below you, then going to an area where monsters your level run around, but without fighting any of them?

Tanivar Somakre

Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/29/2014 09:01 AM CST
If you're not damaging the critters your level, the answer is... nothing.

On the absorption issue:
- have you died recently? (Make certain that the "Death's Sting" line of your 'exp' results says 'none'.)
- as Taverkin said: make certain you have no head/neck/nervous injuries OR scars.
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/29/2014 11:01 AM CST
As far as I know, the rate at which you absorb experience has no relation to the source of that experience. Killing a level 91 at cap provides less experience than killing a level 95, but you should absorb that experience at the same rate assuming relevant factors (injuries, on/off node, etc.) are the same.

~Taverkin
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/29/2014 11:21 AM CST

>If you're not damaging the critters your level, the answer is... nothing.

The Minotaur Warriors are eight levels lower than Tanivar, the Magus are six lower. Depending on how many of his kills are Magus, he either pretty much keeps his mind where it was at when he arrived or builds it up very slowly. Labyrinth makes for a nice break from the PitA known has the Bowels <G>. GM who designed that place named it appropriately. <rolls eyes>

On the absorption issue:
- have you died recently? (Make certain that the "Death's Sting" line of your 'exp' results says 'none'.)
- as Taverkin said: make certain you have no head/neck/nervous injuries OR scars

Tanivar goes through a lot of death's salve from the store. Being a Healer he'll push his luck on risking wounds and occasionally his luck pushes back. Death's sting is taken care of using the salve. He had no wounds or scars in the Labyrinth since he hunts using the CS Bone Shatter spell and stays at Guarded stance.

Tanivar Somakre

Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/29/2014 03:07 PM CST

>As far as I know, the rate at which you absorb experience has no relation to the source of that experience. Killing a level 91 at cap provides less experience than killing a level 95, but you should absorb that experience at the same rate assuming relevant factors (injuries, on/off node, etc.) are the same.

>~Taverkin

Why I posted the OP. I was expecting the usual 1800+ experience an hour to be absorbed and wasn't getting it, why I started watching the numbers change and caught the low learning rate.

Tanivar Somakre

Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/31/2014 12:59 PM CST
>Why I posted the OP. I was expecting the usual 1800+ experience an hour to be absorbed and wasn't getting it, why I started watching the numbers change and caught the low learning rate.

>Hunting Warriors and Magus in the Labyrinth he's absorbing 20 per minute, in the Landing off node it jumped to 29, in the Bowels it's his usual 31 per minute, back to the Labyrinth and down to 18 (mind had reached clear).

The only one of these that isn't about what it should be is 31 in the Bowels, which is too high. Thats a town/sanct rate, not a hunting area rate. Had you cast 213 to watch the exp numbers without needing to watch out for Illoke?

Its possible to get 31 while actually hunting but you'd need to have empty hands, a huge LOG and a heavily saturated mind.

You get an average of 30 per min (1800 per hour) by 20ish while hunting, 40ish on a supernode and a bit of instant absorption from a bounty, not by being 30ish while hunting.
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 12/31/2014 05:37 PM CST

>The only one of these that isn't about what it should be is 31 in the Bowels, which is too high. Thats a town/sanct rate, not a hunting area rate. Had you cast 213 to watch the exp numbers without needing to watch out for Illoke?

Entirely possible. I use them routinely.

Went to Labyrinth and got mind to clear. Experience changed 62501 to 62482, down 19. No sanctuary.

Fogged to town and stood in from of furrier shop. Experience changed 62455 to 62429, down 26.

Ran to Bowels and stood at stream arrival room. Experience changed 62411 to 62389, down 22. No sanctuary.

Hunted Krynches until mind was must rest in northern area. Experience changed 61524 to 61504, down 20. No sanctuary.

Fogged to town and stood in front of furrier shop. Experience changed 61504 to 61475, down 29.

Ringed to Labyrinth via Hidden Plateau. Experience changed 61455 to 61435, down 20. No sanctuary.

Tanivar Somakre

Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 01/01/2015 02:28 AM CST
>>you'd need to have empty hands, a huge LOG <<

Hah! I have a huge log ... oh wait a minute .. that's something a guy would brag about. Never mind, nothing to see here , move on ...

"For the female of the species
is more deadly than the male."
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 01/01/2015 07:32 AM CST
Your hunting area rates suggest you were being affected by a minor wound/scar in some of them. The major wounds/scars that cost major amounts of experience have messaging that warns you its happening, but minor ones don't. e.g. a head wound minor will cost you 10% and you get no messaging. You should see an increase of 2, 3 or 4 (probably 3 but possibly plus/minus 1 depending on your stats and where exactly you were in the clear and fried ranges) between these two and my guess the reason its only 1 is that you had picked up a head minor in between.

>Went to Labyrinth and got mind to clear. Experience changed 62501 to 62482, down 19. No sanctuary.
>Hunted Krynches until mind was must rest in northern area. Experience changed 61524 to 61504, down 20. No sanctuary.

>Went to Labyrinth and got mind to clear. Experience changed 62501 to 62482, down 19. No sanctuary.
>Fogged to town and stood in from of furrier shop. Experience changed 62455 to 62429, down 26.

There's an intervening pulse at 62482-62455 = 27 which would be in town, and the absorbtion from it dropped your bucket past the threshold to drop the next pulse to 26.

>Fogged to town and stood in from of furrier shop. Experience changed 62455 to 62429, down 26.
>Ran to Bowels and stood at stream arrival room. Experience changed 62411 to 62389, down 22. No sanctuary.

There's an intervening pulse at 18, which is your expected hunting area rate after the 19,27,26 on the previous pulses. Then something happened to boost it up to 22. Cashed in a bounty? Healed someone that fell in the pit on the way there? Healed down a major head or nerve wound/scar? Massacred a bunch of Illoke that tried to ambush you on entry? An extra 800 in your bucket will put your rate up by 4, and some changes of wound status could have percentages that gave the same effect.
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 01/01/2015 10:42 AM CST
Logic (LOG): 100 (30) ... 140 (50)

26 on plane 4, full "must rest"
37 in town (off node), full "must rest"
42 in town (super node), "must rest" (after one pulse)
45 in town (super node), in a group, full "saturated"

~Taverkin
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 01/08/2015 10:59 AM CST
>45 in town (super node), in a group, full "saturated"

I was checking some rates lately, too. (Mainly, seeing if there are more than three supernodes in RR.)

One thing to note is that checking under saturation is a bad standard. If I understand correctly, every 200 unabsorbed experience kicks in another +1 per pulse. However, saturation is anything over 1.0, which can be 1.01 or like 1.5, which will definitely reflect in the rate.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Experience#Absorbing_experience

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Learning rate is affected by hunting area 01/21/2015 11:13 PM CST
<a huge LOG and a heavily saturated mind.>

Kinda late, I know.... but I can't resist:

What rolls down stairs
alone or in pairs,
and over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack,
And fits on your back?
It's log, log, log

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.