Enchant 05/03/2018 11:44 AM CDT
I'm disappointed that merchants continue to offer enchanting, but don't offer other unique professional services. I understand enchanting is deeply-rooted in the pay merchant and premium systems. It seems like a design flaw that other professions have unique services that are not and will not be offered by merchants, yet enchant is used as a way to drain silvers from the economy. I copied Wyrom's response from the thread last year below:

>If there would be no community backlash, we would remove enchanting at the rate it is currently offered. But since it's been this way since pretty much the 90s, we continue to offer it. Ensorcelling is considered the predecessor to enchanting in terms of how it's coded and how we'd like to manage it.

If ensorcelling is a model, then I wish more progress could be made toward creating a unique service for wizards that is NOT offered by merchants or premium service.
Re: Enchant 05/03/2018 12:40 PM CDT
Failing that, I'd be delighted to have Ensorcel show up as a merchant offering....
Re: Enchant 05/03/2018 02:14 PM CDT

I'm appalled that my ranger can't offer perm resist like merchants!!!
Re: Enchant 05/03/2018 04:20 PM CDT
<Failing that, I'd be delighted to have Ensorcel show up as a merchant offering....>

I suddenly lack the desire to hunt....

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Enchant 05/03/2018 04:24 PM CDT

I have no problem with Ensorcell showing up as a merchant service
Re: Enchant 05/04/2018 08:21 AM CDT
Hey, you stay out there slaughtering beasties until they do show up as a merchant! <crack whip!> :)
Re: Enchant 05/04/2018 11:08 AM CDT
Crack that whip in my direction and I might get 735 and 435 confused with each other...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Enchant 05/04/2018 11:09 AM CDT
:)
Re: Enchant 05/05/2018 12:21 PM CDT
>I'm appalled that my ranger can't offer perm resist like merchants!!!

Enchanting has improved a great deal over where it was a few years ago. I don't usually have much to say about things that are improving. I just think it would be "better" if some part of it, minimally, didn't overlap with what merchant services offer. Currently, merchant/premium enchant can do the same thing, instantly. It's sort of similar to the NPC locksmith problem. A player pays or wins the right to have a superior (usually faster) service with the same result. It would be great if every profession had a unique service, of some value, offered only by other player characters. Many of them do, but some are better than others. From this perspective, I agree there are certainly other professions besides wizards that need it more.
Re: Enchant 05/05/2018 02:37 PM CDT
I'm fine with merchant enchanting and I'm very glad to have my wizard for reliable enchanting. I definitely can't count on merchants and don't think anyone should, knowing they might only come around less than once a year and a person still has to be lucky even when they do.

Honestly, out of all the professions I play, the one I'd most consider making a second of is a wizard and it's no contest--and it's specifically because doubling up on major enchant slots would be huge! I often feel the pull and might have done it already if only my computer could even handle me opening yet another Stormfront window. :P

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Enchant 05/05/2018 06:08 PM CDT
>I often feel the pull and might have done it already if only my computer could even handle me opening yet another Stormfront window. :P

Now I'm curious...what sort of rig from the 80s are you running? :P

~ Methais