Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/12/2018 01:40 PM CDT
Will high end/auction quality items ever be made available for silvers again, not including buying the item(s) from another player? Or should we just accept the fact that going forward, acquiring any new high end stuff will require Simucoins?

Just curious.

~ Methais
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/12/2018 01:49 PM CDT
Wasn't there a large crop of doom-sayers in <the whole bunch of years leading up to December 2016>, about the wrecked silver economy and paucity of high-end items being made available through in-game channels?

Weren't there several hundred high-end items released in December 2016 at the Auction, for silvers? With nary a SimuCoin to be seen?

Sure, it may not be an annual event like it was in the GEnie days--just from the sheer volume that would be needed to have a chance at making folks happy--but I think the GMs have nearly as much fun (designing cool toys to kill us with!) as we do (playing with toys that may kill us!) when we get them.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/12/2018 07:59 PM CDT
Of course. We've had one of the biggest silver auctions in the last decade in December 2016. My Creating Adventure piece also talked about something coming. In between this, we also sold booklets to Duskruin for silver, allowing you to accumulate bloodscrip with no SimuCoin costs.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 10:07 AM CDT
>Weren't there several hundred high-end items released in December 2016 at the Auction, for silvers? With nary a SimuCoin to be seen?

I'm talking about going forward, not looking back, as "We had a silver auction over 2 years ago (before we made everything P2W)!" seems to be the default response whenever this is brought up, and is meaningless in 2018, as a lot of things have changed since then with how Simu's doing business. And I think the safest bet ever would be betting on not seeing a silver based high end auction ever happening again. This isn't a "We need a god auction every year!" post either.

Ever since DR started becoming a regular thing, the buying power of silver has been taking a massive nosedive. DR not only pushes alt currency, which is fine, but contrary to Simu's statements about how a big problem is that there's no real silver drain, DR also floods the game with tons and tons of silvers. What's the actual point of that other than to keep lessening the buying power of silvers in favor of pushing P2W, especially when Simu's been complaining for years and years about the game's lack of a silver drain?

The Creating Adventure thing sounds interesting. I'm guessing it'll be a Spitfire or Juggernaut return or something along those lines. I don't have much expectation of anything high end being available for silvers though (5x shields and fluff scripted cloaks and whatnot aren't high end, sorry), but hopefully I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but part of this game's magic for me over the years has been seeing an item I want, grinding out the silvers for it, and then buying it, or building up your pile of silvers until some badass item catches your eye to blow them all on, etc. For me, going the P2W route has no "magic" to it. I have no problem if that's a better option for other people, I just don't like it being the only option. And let's face it, silvers being used to attain anything high end these days is the exception, not the rule. I don't think anyone can honestly argue that point without cherry picking a couple rare exceptions.

I don't mind DR or whatever P2W events existing. Except digging because that's just a dumb slot machine pseudo gambling event, but whatever, some people still enjoy it and that's fine. I do hate how P2W is effectively the only avenue toward top tier items now though while DR floods ridiculous amounts of silvers into the game every time, contradicting decades of Simu's complaining about the game's lack of a silver drain being such a big problem. Unless of course they had a change of heart and decided that P2W is the way to go and want to effectively shoehorn people into that model and away from silvers.

>In between this, we also sold booklets to Duskruin for silver, allowing you to accumulate bloodscrip with no SimuCoin costs.

This unfortunately doesn't really mean a whole lot unless DR books are going to always available for both silvers and Simucoins. It was a very brief thing putting them up for silvers, and only happened at one event if I remember correctly. Either way, if it's not a permanent option, it's mostly meaningless, as it can't be relied on.

I do think having DR always available for silvers as an option would solve a ton of problems though, at least if they're priced appropriately and don't instead just inflate silvers even more. Nobody can generate silvers fast enough to buy DR books all day long, but DR books for silvers being a permanent option still gives people like me the option to still grind silvers for the items they want. It might end up being a longer grind than going the P2W route, but "Pay2SaveTime" is typically how most P2W models work anyway and aren't usually a flat out pay to win.

Seems like it would be a good middle ground where everyone on all sides of the argument wins.

~ Methais
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 11:49 AM CDT
Every time I read 'silvers don't have value' posts, I go check to see how many hundreds of dollars silvers are being sold for, right now, currently. Which, to be fair, is less hundreds than it was back in the day. Thats kinda the subtext here: "I cant sell my silvers for as much anymore."

Silvers do indeed have value. The current W/P/S system is silver based, and that works quite well as a silver drain. Its gotten a lot of mine! And it will be getting more.

That said, could silvers be more interesting and useful? Absolutely. There are a lot of things they could do to up its desirability.

The REAL issue is not the devaluation of silver. Its the devaluation of gear. What is considered HIGH END now is far, far different than what was traditionally High End. Ive seen people argue that their 8x HCP ithzir armor is 'mid grade', or some nonsense like that. Its harder and harder to balance the needs of the game with the wants of people who've been playing 20 years who, quite frankly, have a ton of game-breaking gear. Its an arms race of sorts, and this will continue to be an issue in the future. How to fix it? Well, theres several possibilities they could try... but I am no prophet and have no idea what will actually work.

Berbels shrilly exclaims, "Ise takings hims tos secretses lairses!"

Berbels grabs you and drags you east.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 12:27 PM CDT
I don't see any significant change in how simutronics is doing business in 2018 compared to 2016. Seems things are pretty much the same.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 12:34 PM CDT

>The REAL issue is not the devaluation of silver. Its the devaluation of gear.

That.

I remember being pleased with a merchant that sold a krolvin backslasher, a vanilla 5x short sword. Now Reim drops 5x on a regular basis.

Expectations have changed greatly.

:D
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 01:09 PM CDT
You don't remember very well. The backslasher had weighting, too.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 02:12 PM CDT
The problem with this line of thinking is that anything that Simutronics sells for silvers--like books of DuskRuin tickets--gets them no money. They created the silver in the first place. And there is a limitless flow of it.

It is conceivable for a single account--and F2P, at that!--to farm one metric squajillion tons of silver out of the game, and sell it to <everyone else who wants any amount of silver> (for real-world cash), which silvers then get turned around and used to buy DR ticket books, that get used by hundreds of people to farm DR, and buy up all of the HESS goodies and bling out their items at a cost of GM time for design and following up on certificate emails...
...and have brought in precisely ZERO dollars to Simutronics, because F2P did the farming, and silver bought the books of tickets. The only money that changed hands was player-to-other-player.

(Likely? Oh, hell no. But it could happen like that.)

I will repeat my offer: Anyone who feels that silver is worthless, you just feel free to heap yours up riiiiight over here around my feet, where I don't even have to bend down too far to collect it up, kthxby.

So, no. I don't think that "silvers for ticket books" is in Simutronics' interest (other than as an "every so often, to keep waning interest from flagging too much" thing to be hoped for) nor would I expect to see it happen terribly often (most likely in the "once per year, if you are LUCKY" range).
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 02:47 PM CDT

A bit of a hijacking here and maybe this question should be elsewhere but....Can't a character be successful with regular 4 or 5x gear?
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 03:17 PM CDT
Yes. The GMs have, many times, stated that they design creatures around 4x/+20 equipment.
Anything over that, just makes your job easier (higher weapon endroll == more damage == dies faster == less time to grind the hunt) by that much.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 07:24 PM CDT
<The problem with this line of thinking is that anything that Simutronics sells for silvers--like books of DuskRuin tickets--gets them no money. They created the silver in the first place. And there is a limitless flow of it.>

What cheeses me off is that it's become necessary for Simu to rely on players that are either independently wealthy or have no financial discipline like this (don't complain about my phrasing, it's MUCH nicer then how I'm tempted to state it). I can't help but wonder if Simu had actually been promoting their games as much as they've claimed they do (despite no one being able to point to anything other then a Facebook page), would they be in this position?

I get GS is a niche game that isn't the "in thing" for teens/young adults to play these days... but there are still plenty of teens/young adults pouring money into LARPs, table-top games, Magic the Gathering, etc. Maybe some of them would have started playing GS if they'd run across ads in RP mags like Inquest or The Duelist over the years.

It's bad enough that there are people buying in game items for enough money to buy a car over on PC (I really can't blame the sellers, if I had anything at all in the game someone would pay thousands of dollars for, I'd sell it in a heartbeat), but for Simu to be reduced to relying on that same mentality via things like Duskruin and more then half the Simucoin store is just sickening.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 07:54 PM CDT
Sickening is a bit of a strong way to put it.

I'd save that term for things like the tragic situation in many third world countries, terrible shooting violence in schools, other such stuff...

Your examples arent helping your case, btw. Keep in mind that the cost for competitive magic the gathering, as well as many high-end larping events, are comparable to the Duskruin costs of HESS items. For a tournament worthy MTG deck, at least when I played years ago, was about 400 dollars. Give or take. Thats about what I've spent on the last TWO duskruins. Can you just go to Friday Night Magic and do a few drafts for a tenner a week? Sure. But you can also just do 10 bucks worth of arena-ing and buy some bane potions. /shrug

LARPing is...well, its something that can run you considerably more if you want actual armor. Not to mention one of the more well known LARP events, (Bicolline in Canada), just to get in...by yourself...for a week? 350 USD. Thats not counting equipment, travel, etc. Oh and if you want to go with a group, such as the Voyage North? Thats aboooout 500-1000$. Again, this is ENTRY FEES, gear is sold separately.

Hey. Im not happy about the pricing either on some of these items. But again as was mentioned, Gear Devaluation means that people are really mostly interested in GAME BREAKING things. Which they have to limit in some fashion. So they gate it behind a high pay wall. If you want just decent stuff? You can get it! At costs that wont break the bank! The 6x/6x nervestaff was a deal, I felt. And if you settled for the 5x/4x version? HALF the cost. HESS is, unfortunately, something I will simply never be affording direct off the shelf. Thats just the realities of my budget.

Sickening though? Hmmm.

Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 08:46 PM CDT
>You don't remember very well.

When I told the doctor about my loss of memory, he made me pay in advance.

Grampa Askip

:D
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 09:24 PM CDT
Make the fusion shaman and a W/P/S NPC available all the time. Inflate the silver cost of W/P/S a bit for this so that merchant services are still desirable.

I haven't seen W/P/S offered anywhere near the frequency that everyone thought it would be for the change to be worth it.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 09:47 PM CDT
<<Every time I read 'silvers don't have value' posts, I go check to see how many hundreds of dollars silvers are being sold for, right now, currently. Which, to be fair, is less hundreds than it was back in the day. Thats kinda the subtext here: "I cant sell my silvers for as much anymore."

Silvers do indeed have value. The current W/P/S system is silver based, and that works quite well as a silver drain. Its gotten a lot of mine! And it will be getting more.

That said, could silvers be more interesting and useful? Absolutely. There are a lot of things they could do to up its desirability.

The REAL issue is not the devaluation of silver. Its the devaluation of gear. What is considered HIGH END now is far, far different than what was traditionally High End. Ive seen people argue that their 8x HCP ithzir armor is 'mid grade', or some nonsense like that. Its harder and harder to balance the needs of the game with the wants of people who've been playing 20 years who, quite frankly, have a ton of game-breaking gear. Its an arms race of sorts, and this will continue to be an issue in the future. How to fix it? Well, theres several possibilities they could try... but I am no prophet and have no idea what will actually work.>>

Ah yes, the W/P/S. The thing that was supposed to make weighting/padding more accessible by making it take longer to get higher amounts (or thats what it seemed to me). Then we get the actual implementation and we have had it offered twice this year so far for silvers for a total of 35 people (25 and 10 slots) and were severely limited in how many services you could use for your slots (5 and 10 services according to the calendar). I think DR dig had it but thats bloodscrip.

W/P/S needs to become way more available IMO. Don't put caps on the services when its offered. If someone wants to blow a billion silvers, let them.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 09:53 PM CDT
There are some very interesting points on all sides in this discussion. And oh, yes - I have my opinion. But, point one - each of these is opinion.

I did, however, want to respond to:

>>Can't a character be successful with regular 4 or 5x gear?

Someone already said yes, but I'll amplify a bit - we have a cadre of players invested right now in proving the case that in fact one can be successful fully with the skills / spells available only to that character in the game. HARDCORE! (Not for everyone, but if it can be done there, it certainly can be done with spell-tanking armor-grubbing buy-up-the-world's-items-from-player-shop approach we have today as our 'minimalist' standard category.)

Doug
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 09:54 PM CDT
<Your examples arent helping your case, btw>

I'm well aware of what kind of money can be dumped into those things, they also don't have a monthly fee so those comparisons are apples and oranges. I chose them because they're niche games that have managed to stick around an managed attract a steady stream of younger people to keep them viable despite not being the cool new thing.

As for my choice of words, I may not be an english major, but I'm well aware of what they mean and will kindly ask you not to attempt to dictate when or how I use them.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 10:13 PM CDT
<W/P/S needs to become way more available IMO. Don't put caps on the services when its offered. If someone wants to blow a billion silvers, let them.>

Oh sure. All for that! Put it up as an NPC merchant for silver in FWI. Add a 'non-event tax' to it of some sort.

<I'm well aware of what kind of money can be dumped into those things, they also don't have a monthly fee so those comparisons are apples and oranges. I chose them because they're niche games that have managed to stick around an managed attract a steady stream of younger people to keep them viable despite not being the cool new thing.>

They are, despite your efforts to claim to the contrary, an 'apples and oranges comparison' simply because one has a Subscription fee...though I dont know if you've looked at MTGO nowadays but theres a high end subscription on offer there...

<As for my choice of words, I may not be an english major, but I'm well aware of what they mean and will kindly ask you not to attempt to dictate when or how I use them.>

I feel that if you go back and actually read my post, friend, you will find that not once did I say "Dont use that word" or try to dictate your actions or feelings or anything really. I simply stated what I felt were appropriate times when I would use that word.

If you feel lesser for the comparison, well...

Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/14/2018 10:44 PM CDT
<<Put it up as an NPC merchant for silver in FWI. Add a 'non-event tax' to it of some sort.

Not on FWI, just going to create an annoyance. "Can someone run a item to WPS for me". Premium gets a lot now, time to strengthen the regular subs.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/15/2018 11:44 AM CDT
>Every time I read 'silvers don't have value' posts, I go check to see how many hundreds of dollars silvers are being sold for, right now, currently. Which, to be fair, is less hundreds than it was back in the day. Thats kinda the subtext here: "I cant sell my silvers for as much anymore."

And the reason for that is because silvers are being quickly phased out of the high end market in favor of bloodscrip. So prices are bottoming out because there's no demand. Why is there no demand? Because you can't buy anything good with them anymore because everything that comes out now requires bloodscrip. There used to always be something on my radar I was farming silvers for, but not anymore because everything is bloodscrip based now. I'd much rather use my silvers on some high end stuff in game vs. selling them, which probably won't be an option for much longer either, but I'm not going to sit on them while they become more and more worthless.

>I will repeat my offer: Anyone who feels that silver is worthless, you just feel free to heap yours up riiiiight over here around my feet, where I don't even have to bend down too far to collect it up, kthxby.

Worthless for the high end market, not worthless for buying a lifetime supply of pure potions.

A typical P2W model would run DR as is, but with a silver option that will take longer to grind out. But it still gives the players options. One takes less time and costs more, one takes more time and costs less. And all that without massive monthly subscription fees. Players should always have more options than just cash, even if it requires more time. The only thing missing would be being forced to watch ads before a DR fight. Which I'm kind of surprised Simu isn't at least toying with (optional ads at least), as with the scripting capabilities of a lot of players, ads could probably be easily rigged with a Lich script to click them all, similar to how ;autovote votes for GS every 12 hours on topmudsites without even opening your browser.

>The problem with this line of thinking is that anything that Simutronics sells for silvers--like books of DuskRuin tickets--gets them no money. They created the silver in the first place. And there is a limitless flow of it.

They're also getting no money from any of the people who have quit the game who didn't like the direction things have been going over the past couple years. But it's probably fair to also say that 1 or 2 whales with piles of money and/or no self control could potentially offset that, at least until they stop whaling, which could be tomorrow, or could be never.

Either way, even if DR books were permanently available for silvers, nobody would be able to generate silver fast enough to sustain buying them regularly. They'll either run out of silvers and finish their grind via Simucoins, or they'll start farming silvers again until the next DR run and pick up where they left off. I'd also bet that a lot of people would do a mixture of both. I'd probably be doing a mixture, but with the current model where cash is the only option, I'm doing nothing, which is another instance of Simu getting no money.

It might take someone X months or a year longer or whatever to actually get their item via DR for silvers or whatever than the person who spent a paycheck on Simucoins, but the option is still there, and they're still subscribing to the game instead of taking their money somewhere else.

>A bit of a hijacking here and maybe this question should be elsewhere but....Can't a character be successful with regular 4 or 5x gear?

There's plenty of great non-combat high end gear out there too. Most of the really interesting high end stuff to me isn't combat gear. Multi-setting and cross realm teleport items are a good example. I think the 12 (10?) setting rings went up to 500k BS last DR if I remember right. That's insanity.

Nobody needs more than 4x to do anything in this game. I'd even argue you could go from 0-100 with plain 0x gear. You'll probably die more, but it's not at all impossible to do.

>I haven't seen W/P/S offered anywhere near the frequency that everyone thought it would be for the change to be worth it.

Most if not all instances of it being offered so far have been spinner based and pretty limited in picks, which Simu specifically stated that they were moving away from luck based progression when they first gave us the details when W/P/S was first announced. Which I've been hoping they'd give an explanation for, but they seem to have been unresponsive to that request when it was brought up before.

>W/P/S needs to become way more available IMO. Don't put caps on the services when its offered. If someone wants to blow a billion silvers, let them.

This. Or at the least, leave the service window as is with the increasing costs, but keep the rest automated with whatever restrictions are deemed appropriate. It's still going to take someone several years and hundreds of millions if not billions to max out an item. Services that require being in the right place at the right time + getting lucky on a spinner are incredibly annoying and obsolete.

If Simu is worried about ultra rich characters running in and maxing out an item in a day, just add DR books for silvers as a permanent option beforehand so everyone wipes out their bank accounts first. The W/P/S system is fine. Its only real problem is its lack of availability.

"But before WPS, padding/weighting services were really rare!"

They also didn't require 500 services to max an item. Not that I'm suggesting items should be being maxed all over the place, but yeah. Even the luckiest person in the world who's at every WPS event and gets picked every time, at 25 services every 2 months, they're still looking at 40 months to max an item. And that's in a completely unrealistic, will never happen, absolute best case scenario without factoring in silver costs.

Simu has been complaining for decades about the game's lack of a silver drain. They have the ultimate silver drain staring them right in the face. Two ultimate silver drains, if they were to automate W/P/S. That would be almost as good as a world with two Ultimate Warriors.

https://youtu.be/iqi0zbgHDuA

~ Methais
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/15/2018 11:49 AM CDT
>Your examples arent helping your case, btw. Keep in mind that the cost for competitive magic the gathering, as well as many high-end larping events, are comparable to the Duskruin costs of HESS items. For a tournament worthy MTG deck, at least when I played years ago, was about 400 dollars. Give or take. Thats about what I've spent on the last TWO duskruins. Can you just go to Friday Night Magic and do a few drafts for a tenner a week? Sure. But you can also just do 10 bucks worth of arena-ing and buy some bane potions. /shrug

>LARPing is...well, its something that can run you considerably more if you want actual armor. Not to mention one of the more well known LARP events, (Bicolline in Canada), just to get in...by yourself...for a week? 350 USD. Thats not counting equipment, travel, etc. Oh and if you want to go with a group, such as the Voyage North? Thats aboooout 500-1000$. Again, this is ENTRY FEES, gear is sold separately.

He wasn't comparing their costs to GS. He was saying that Simu should be advertising in those markets. Which they really should.

~ Methais
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/15/2018 05:13 PM CDT
<They also didn't require 500 services to max an item. Not that I'm suggesting items should be being maxed all over the place, but yeah. Even the luckiest person in the world who's at every WPS event and gets picked every time, at 25 services every 2 months, they're still looking at 40 months to max an item.>

FYI, it isn't 500 services to max out an item, it is 5,000. That rate of 25 services every 2 months would get you 20 CER points (Masterful amount) at 40 months.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/16/2018 12:18 AM CDT
<That rate of 25 services every 2 months would get you 20 CER points (Masterful amount) at 40 months.

That's if you can get 25 services every 2 months. That can be a tough feat with the current offerings.
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/16/2018 09:25 AM CDT
>FYI, it isn't 500 services to max out an item, it is 5,000.

https://i.imgur.com/PEkBoao.gif

~ Methais
Re: Will High End Items Ever Be Attainable With Silvers Again? 03/17/2018 12:55 AM CDT
I'm not sure I follow some of what was shared in this thread. Prior to the WPS changes, weighting was a very rare service. We offered it maybe two or three times a year, outside of Duskruin. And the amounts we offered were pretty capped (usually 5 to 10 points max on gear under 20 points). Sighting was a bit more niche and padding wasn't as rare as weighting.

These changes were completed roughly 203 days ago. We've offered WPS at a monthly rate since it went live. The progression is slower, especially at upper levels of WPS, but you can also get WPS with other properties now (and combinations of WPS as well). These are rather big changes for the game and your gear. Itemization has basically added a new layer of what you can do. We have to roll out these offerings in waves.

I'm not sure if the thoughts were you'd now be able to have everything masterfully and above within a year's time or what. Hundreds of people have had work done on thousands of pieces of equipment. We will continue to offer this service in higher volumes as we push forward.

Wyrom, PM