Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 02/28/2018 09:28 AM CST
This is what pops for me when I click on the announcement and the new page gets loaded:

<span style="display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(33, 33, 33); font-family: Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: pre-wrap; word-spacing: 0px; word-wrap: break-word;">Xerria will be holding a short duration raffle for three slots at one of her Really Rare Raffles.&nbsp; Choices will be listed on a sign at the event.&nbsp; Tickets will cost 1,000 silvers.&nbsp; Winners must be there to redeem the win and they must have the item already on their person, NO PASSING.</span>

This is functionally useless.
I'm pretty sure that it's something about Xerria, given the title that was shown in the sidebar, but otherwise...

How about, IF you're going to include formatting code, have the page set to actually display the RichText?
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 02/28/2018 05:39 PM CST
What browser are you using? I cannot replicate what you're seeing.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 02/28/2018 05:46 PM CST
Internet Exploder v11.0.9-something.

It happens fairly regularly with the various announcements. When it's just few " " I usually gloss over it and eventually arrive at a more-or-less understanding of the text.
This was a good 50%+ of it being markup.

Didn't I read (somewhere... that time...) that there was a tie-in from Google-Calendar that people were using, to get things to pop here on the Simu Site?

If so, could that be affecting it somehow?
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 02/28/2018 05:47 PM CST
<What looks like 'the empty set' up there, the " ", is actually me typing out 'ampersand en bee ess pee'...>
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 02/28/2018 05:48 PM CST
I'm seeing it in Chrome and Firefox. Certain events from the events sidebar on the front page (https://www.play.net/gs4/) are throwing a lot of html entity noise when you pull up their individual pages.

Specific links:
http://forums.play.net/events/details/1?date=2018-02-28+17%3A38%3A10+-0600
http://forums.play.net/events/details/2?date=2018-02-28+17%3A38%3A10+-0600
http://forums.play.net/events/details/10?date=2018-02-28+17%3A38%3A10+-0600
http://forums.play.net/events/details/0?date=2018-02-28+17%3A38%3A10+-0600

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 02/28/2018 05:49 PM CST
However, the entries look fine in the google calendar: http://forums.play.net/calendar?game=gemstone+iv

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 02/28/2018 11:57 PM CST
I see the style markup in the content box in all browsers, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome; it is somewhat new of a ... feature.

I use these calendar detail pages all the time for Newsby's links to events that are so complicated they cannot be summed up in 200-300 characters.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Town
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 03/22/2018 02:50 PM CDT
To re-visit this 'Calendar event' issue...

Exhibit #1, from the current listings:

[Platinum] Gelidity House Raffle

03/22/2018

Simutronics General Events -- All are invited!

Time: Around 7:00pm EDT

General Info: Cranstal will be raffling off the private property Gelidity House. Gelidity House is located next to Voln in Icemule Trace, and is currently open for self-guided tours. There will be a 1 million silver fee due when the keys are handed over. The winner will have the option of renaming the property, should they wish to do so. Otherwise, the property comes as is.

Okay, sure. Looks like an event going on. Got it.

Exhibit #2, from the current listings:

The Last Supper (Before Voting Begins)

03/22/2018

Simutronics General Events -- All are invited!

Time: Around 11:00pm EDT

General Info: <span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">In celebration of this year’s candidates for </span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 700; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Mayor</span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;"> of Wehnimer’s Landing, the </span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 700; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Order of the Shadow</span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;"> will be hosting dinner and casual conversation in the </span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 700; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Tavern</span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;"> of the Abandoned Inn on the evening of the </span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 700; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">22nd</span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;"> at </span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 700; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;"><span class="aBn" data-term="goog_605908130" tabindex="0" style="border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(204, 204, 204); position: relative; top: -2px; z-index: 0;"><span class="aQJ" style="position: relative; top: 2px; z-index: -1;">11pm</span></span></span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;"> Elven.&nbsp; Join </span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 700; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Lylia</span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;"> and </span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 700; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Leafiara</span><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; background-color: transparent; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;"> in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, and bring any lingering questions or thoughts you may have for the two hopefuls.</span>

FREAKING SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 03/22/2018 05:02 PM CDT
Were I to venture a guess, which is the most I can manage without being able to tinker with all the things, this is likely the result of pasting text from a word processor (MS Word is the most common culprit) into the event details section when the event is created.

The Google calendar itself is built to ignore any styling/html markup it sees, so when you paste it into the event details editor you don't see any of the extra markup. Likewise, when the event details are viewed through the embedded Google calendar on the actual calendar page (http://forums.play.net/calendar?game=gemstone+iv) by clicking on the event title the extra markup is ignored, resulting in seeing neither the extra markup nor formatted text - no bolding, no italics, nada.

Things start behaving differently when you introduce third parties into the mix though. When interfacing with the Google Calendar as a custom built app/service the entire contents of the event details section is provided, including the markup that is ignored/not processed by the Google calendar itself. The third party app then has to decide how to handle that markup, to either: A) Ignore/not process the markup altogether - just like Googe, or B) Process the html markup and displaying the formatted text in all it's bolded, italicised, underlined glory, or C) Treat it all like plain text and serve it up as is, ugly markup warts and all. The problem is both options A) and B) take some doing, and depending on how things are set up and which code libraries are being used on the Simu backend, potentially challenging.

A potential workaround is to paste all event info into a plain text editor and then pasting that into the event details editor when creating a new calendar item. There will definitely not be any pretty formatting, but it should also eliminate the ugly markup when linking directly to an event.

Alternately, you can check out event details on the alternate calendar I whipped up over here: http://gs4calendar.surge.sh/ There are no direct links to events, though I can work on trying to get that sussed out. I can also fairly easily set up a direct url to 'Things Happening Today' though I can't assure that either would happen especially soon, given that I have actual real work projects to work on.

Anyway, I know none of this actually solves the issue at hand, but I thought people might be interested in why it is probably happening. And potential ways to work with it instead of against it.
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 03/22/2018 05:12 PM CDT
I have SEEN the HTML sometimes, but not this time!

I clicked on the same event you got all the FUN ENCODING with, and it reads fine.

Maybe there was a drop at just the right time, of just the right bit of the stylesheet, header, something, and ugh.

Does it fix if you reload the page?

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 03/22/2018 05:29 PM CDT
At the present time, clicking on the same item brings me to legible text where there are only two instances of apostrophe's making themselves obtrusive, both in the first sentence. ("year's" and "Wehnimer's")

Both of these I can glide over, as I usually do when reading minimally-annoying stuff. (As previously commented, in my initial post.)
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 03/22/2018 10:37 PM CDT
<Both of these I can glide over, as I usually do when reading minimally-annoying stuff.>

I think the majority of regular readers of this forum know the best way to annoy you is to do things like use the wrong there/their/they're, get creative with punctuation, or effect the affect.

Starchitin

PS see what I did up there?

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Calendar events (right-sidebar tags) 03/23/2018 08:20 AM CDT
:)

By 'minimally-annoying', I was referring specifically to the announcements. But yeah, I like where you're going with this...