Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/25/2017 07:22 PM CDT
Was told this for a weapon alteration session. This is nonsense. If any weapon that provides defensive bonus is a non-weapon this applies to sais, main gauche, defender weapons, even parry defense of normal weapons. Runestaves are sold in weapon stores, not armor stores. Arbitrary, on the fly item classification is annoying.

Vhorg Emberskald
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 01:44 AM CDT
They seem to function pretty well as weapons to me:

>att rol
You swing a black carmiln crosier at a rolton!
AS: +101 vs DS: -13 with AvD: +10 + d100 roll: +22 = +146
... and hit for 22 points of damage!
Hearty smack to the head.

Necrotic energy from your black carmiln crosier overflows into you!

You feel energized!
The guiding force leaves you.

Your crosier flickers as the space around a rolton folds inward and draws its surroundings closer!

... 10 points of damage!
Blood vessels in arm burst!
The rolton collapses to the ground, emits a final bleat, and dies.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

>insp cro
You carefully inspect your black carmiln crosier.

After a careful inspection you determine that a black carmiln crosier curling around a carved smoke wisp requires skill in twohanded weapons to use effectively. It appears to be a modified rune staff.

You remember that you registered this item about a year ago.

It looks like this item has been mainly crafted out of carmiln.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 02:32 AM CDT
That's not how they're primarily used though.

Name one character that hunts swinging their runestaff and I'll slap them back to whatever Guild didn't do their job properly.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 03:18 AM CDT
Just puttin this out there:

Weapon

Noun

a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.

Are runestaves designed or used for this purpose? Arguments can be made for 'Yes' and 'No'. On the one hand, runestaves are oft used to apply flares and other bonuses to augment a casters spells...which definitely fit the definition of a weapon. On the other, a non-flaring runestaff is used solely as a defense, parrying bolts and increasing defense.

So....its open for debate, imho.

Berbels shrilly exclaims, "Ise takings hims tos secretses lairses!"

Berbels grabs you and drags you east.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 06:15 AM CDT
Hello,

Since I'm Aneela, I thought I'd address this. Some of the information you are missing here as to when and where this conversation took place may help shed some light on the decision.

1. Aneela said she was working on Traditional Weapons - Runestaves are not traditional weapons
2. Aneela works out of a UAC shop and is a (ask around) militant warrior with a rigid mindset (just ask anyone of her opinion on "snacks")
3. Aneela was also asked to work on shields for people that are trained in using them as weapons, too, and denied it as a defensive weapon. She was then asked to work on wands because everyone decided it was time to bust her chops.
4. When Aneela only worked on items from her shop, she got a lot of flack for it, so she decided to open up for Martial Weapons (Again, runestaves are not a martial weapon)

I'm sorry that you were displeased with this decision but it wasn't arbitrary at all and it was largely based on the type of person that Aneela is and has been displayed as being.

~*~ Thandiwe ~*~
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 08:41 AM CDT
"3. Aneela was also asked to work on shields for people that are trained in using them as weapons, too, and denied it as a defensive weapon." -- Thandiwe

You know this makes me want to roll up a warrior who does NOTHING other than shield-based attacks....
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 09:02 AM CDT
> 2. Aneela works out of a UAC shop and is a (ask around) militant warrior with a rigid mindset (just ask anyone of her opinion on "snacks")

I tried to convince her that blood was sustenance. She was not amused. :D
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 10:06 AM CDT
It is solely at the merchant's discretion what they will and/or won't work on during an "alteration session". In some cases, the decisions are character-based (ie: the NPC doesn't work with metals, or chooses not to handle armor) and in others it may strictly be their choice to limit services based on what they've already done, and what they have left to do.

It's not a decision to upset you or another player, but it very well could just be what they have decided to work on during that time. Given the number of services and merchants around during this festival, I think it's safe to say that there are plenty other merchants who could handle the alter for you.

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
SGM, Events

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 10:35 AM CDT
There has been no shortage of GALD available at EG this year. It's the one thing I've had no trouble getting, even if I can't win a raffle for the life of me. It's also worth noting that we have had merchants in the past who have only worked on runestaves, and merchants who'll only do work for rangers or bards or clerics or sorcerers, etc. A merchant who only works on weapons is no less an affront to some sort of idea of fairness than any of those. Which is to say that none of them are. One can argue for overall parity, but on an individual merchant basis, I think it's pretty reasonable for them to have some sort of character and standards that don't necessarily align with everyone else's.

Kerl
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 12:26 PM CDT
I still think the merchant would do well to make themself immune to melee attacks or sanctify the room they're working in... never know when a warpath or warmage might want to prove runestaves are weapons. You know, in the interest of staying in character...

Not that I have either of those myself, but I've seen characters do a lot of things over the years. (spots an empath with a slate wand approaching and slips into the shadows)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 12:51 PM CDT

>> I still think the merchant would do well to make themself immune to melee attacks or sanctify the room they're working in... never know when a warpath or warmage might want to prove runestaves are weapons. You know, in the interest of staying in character...

If Aneela is as hardassed as described.... no, she shouldn't. If somebody can smack her around a bit with a twig, that's exactly how you change a person like that's mind.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 01:01 PM CDT
For the record, Aneela is never in GM mode and I would never "cheat". I gave her stats to back up her attitude. I also gave her a story, cause I'm a goober like that.

~*~ Thandiwe ~*~
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 01:27 PM CDT
>never know when a warpath or warmage might want to prove runestaves are weapons. You know, in the interest of staying in character...

Ha, despite being THW trained, my warpath and warmage wouldn't be caught dead with runestaves in their possession.

Totally understand and applaud Aneela staying in character!
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 02:12 PM CDT
>never know when a warpath or warmage might want to prove runestaves are weapons. You know, in the interest of staying in character...

One of my way, way, way, way post-cap goals for Raelee is to train her in THW explicitly so she can whack people* with her runestaff.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

* And by people... I mostly meant Eugenides.

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 05:43 PM CDT
Absolutely any GM can refuse service on anything they like at any time. Viewed in the context of IC roleplay I have no issue with it now that I am aware that is the rational. Viewed in an OOC mechanical sense it is non-sensical but I hope the view prevails so I can stop training disarm weapon on my pures.

Vhorg Emberskald
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 06:02 PM CDT
It was like an advertisement - we'll now remember!
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/26/2017 06:10 PM CDT
Ok Ok, we get it!
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/27/2017 06:49 AM CDT
Oh baby a triple! Oh yea!

~Amanda, player of Treeva
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/27/2017 04:16 PM CDT
>That's not how they're primarily used though.

Name one character that hunts swinging their runestaff and I'll slap them back to whatever Guild didn't do their job properly.

wait about two or three years. :)

I'll be swinging two-handers soon enough.

Post-cap wizard life. :P
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 10/28/2017 02:40 AM CDT
I think its a completely valid perspective. As long as its clear its a traditional weapon, it clearly excludes things like runestaves and shields and what not. Don't go overboard people...
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/04/2017 10:18 AM CDT
>>>That's not how they're primarily used though.

Name one character that hunts swinging their runestaff and I'll slap them back to whatever Guild didn't do their job properly.<<

Actually, about 5-6 years back there was a warrior who hunted using a runestaff. He claimed that he was a wizard. Rather amusing RP,
but alas, I forget his name.

Additionally, both my warpath and warmage carry runestaves in addition to their mauls. They pull out the runestaff sometimes when
facing foes using bolt spells or arrows, since THWs cannot block any such thing. Occasionally I forget to hit the macro to switch back,
and end up MStriking something with a runestaff.

If someone gets aroused by looking at ultrasound images of pregnant women, is this a case of fetal attraction?
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/04/2017 10:23 AM CDT
For that matter ...

>inspect runest
You carefully inspect your orase runestaff.

After a careful inspection you determine that a gold-capped orase runestaff requires skill in twohanded weapons to use effectively.
It appears to be a modified rune staff.<

The description itself calls it a 2 handed weapon!

Which is completely misleading to any newbie wizard, who is going to be misled into thinking he needs to train in THWs.
It really should be changed.

Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/04/2017 12:28 PM CDT
Except it can be swung as a 2Hand weapon, and it's even worse than a plain quarterstaff. (Which is already a sucky weapon.)

Just leave it alone. It's clearly a weapon of last resort, if you're using it in melee.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/04/2017 12:49 PM CDT
>> It's clearly a weapon of last resort, if you're using it in melee.<<

Works fine for combat maneuvers too!
My gals routinely use their runestaves for disarm and feint.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/04/2017 12:57 PM CDT
KRAKII, you are missing the point here. Nobody is claiming that runestaves are GOOD weapons, just that they are classed as weapons,
they can function as weapons, and that Aneela was incorrect in her judgement thereof.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/04/2017 02:38 PM CDT
The point wasn't so much that a runestave is not a "weapon" as it was more a "weapon that she will not work on during her merchant session."

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
SGM, Events

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/04/2017 06:46 PM CDT
>The point wasn't so much that a runestave is not a "weapon" as it was more a "weapon that she will not work on during her merchant session."<

Which is an illogical and arbitrary decision on her part. Mind you, it's one she is entitled to make, but it isn't justified
by game definition and mechanics. She could equally well decree that she wouldn't work on anything colored green or made from oak.
She could certainly decide to do so if she wished, but it would be purely as a whim.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/04/2017 06:53 PM CDT
>> Which is an illogical and arbitrary decision on her part. Mind you, it's one she is entitled to make, but it isn't justified
by game definition and mechanics. She could equally well decree that she wouldn't work on anything colored green or made from oak.

It's completely logical and not arbitrary at all. Mind you... you don't have to agree with it but that doesn't make it illogical.

-- Robert

Damp deeply exclaims, "It's a wizard's locked project!"
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/05/2017 12:09 AM CDT
If you visited the merchant, you would understand the logic. The merchant was a warrior. A martial arms user and that's where her interests (and loyalties) were placed. Runestaves were not her area of expertise or interest.

That said, there were no shortage of merchants who would have happily altered a runestaff at EG this year. This is no more an issue than only cobblers being allowed at the cobbler merchant, or any other of a plethera of merchant types that are profession specific, (animal companions, bard sung armor and weaponry, custom spell preps, etc etc.) I'm glad they're allowing and even encouraging merchants to be profession specific. At least I am so long as there's at least some level of parity across professions.

Kerl
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/05/2017 08:38 AM CST
<< Which is an illogical and arbitrary decision on her part. Mind you, it's one she is entitled to make, but it isn't justified
She could certainly decide to do so if she wished, but it would be purely as a whim. >>

And?

Josh
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/05/2017 08:47 AM CST
> but it isn't justified by game definition and mechanics.

She doesn't live in a game with mechanics. She lives in a world.
Re: Aneela says, "Runestaves are not weapons." 11/05/2017 09:10 PM CST
>Which is an illogical and arbitrary decision on her part. Mind you, it's one she is entitled to make, but it isn't justified
>She could certainly decide to do so if she wished, but it would be purely as a whim.

She's a merchant. Plenty of shops have arbitrary rules that aren't justified by anything other than the whim and desires of the owner. It's no different than a merchant stating they will only work on tattoos, even though they can certainly offer GALD. Or if a merchant wants to only work on features. Same thing. This merchant did not want to work on runestaves, and had an IC reason for it.

~ The girl behind Debia

Check out my websites!
www.ElanthianEvents.com
Coming soon: www.noishorah.com
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/angelofsharath