Roa'ter Axes 10/20/2017 07:41 PM CDT
I must say I am a bit miffed that I had no idea these existed, and that because I am specialized in one handed axes and tower shields, I cannot make use of them without considerable expense and investment.

1.) What does a roa'ter axe look like? Is it somehow shaped like a giant worm, but bladed? Is the edge studded with teeth? Are there cured roa'ters attached to the head or haft? Does it have a roa'ter wormling head as a pommel?
2.) What qualifies an axe as being "roa'tery"?
3.) How is a roa'ter axe distinguished from a normal battle axe?
4.) Are there any qualities unique to roa'ter axes? Does they magically swallow foes, or pull the bearer underground before allowing such a wielder to erupt in a furious display of gore?

I find it to be a travesty that there is not more information available as to these awe-inspiring weapons. Why haven't I seen any before? Why wasn't I told? Why have these marvels been hidden from us?
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/20/2017 08:33 PM CDT
https://gswiki.play.net/Battle_axe

-- Robert

You see a fairly typical Lord Kai.
It appears to be in good shape.
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/21/2017 04:15 PM CDT
It's just an alternative noun for battle axe (twohanded weapon). The roa'ter axe is a unique term, likely taking the place of the Dane axe, the Danish axe, or the Viking axe. We have a number of variants that derive from real world terms. Claidhmore being a claymore. Hammer of Kai being a mix of the bec-de-corbin and the Lucerne hammer. We added a bunch of new terms recently as well, like sidearm-of-Onar (dagger), Charl's-tail (scimitar), and kiss-of-Ivas (falchion).

Wyrom, PM
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/22/2017 09:55 AM CDT
I would like to propose the "kiss-of-Naamit" being a new noun for 'whip'.
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/22/2017 10:18 AM CDT
<< I would like to propose the "kiss-of-Naamit" being a new noun for 'whip'. >>

I'd like to propose a small change to that, say the "Caress-of-Naamit".

Josh
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/22/2017 10:38 AM CDT
Only if the Entanglement flares are triggered. (Like wrapping around a limb, or neck.)

I was thinking more of just the quick flicking stroke. (Like scoring the cheek, or taking out an eyeball.)
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/22/2017 10:55 AM CDT
<< Only if the Entanglement flares are triggered. (Like wrapping around a limb, or neck.)

I was thinking more of just the quick flicking stroke. (Like scoring the cheek, or taking out an eyeball.)>>

Wouldn't that be more of the "embrace-of-Naamit"? A stroke across the cheek or along another part of the body would be a caress.

Who knew a Naamit whip could be so versatile?

Josh
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/22/2017 07:51 PM CDT
You know, I see some real promise here. By all means, keep going! I'd like to swing Naamit at people more frequently.

On another note, Mularos's critical is Slash, but Divine Wrath (335) generates a whip. Whips are purely Crush damage type. Go figure.

https://gswiki.play.net/Divine_Wrath_(335)
https://gswiki.play.net/Mularos
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/22/2017 11:18 PM CDT
>>On another note, Mularos's critical is Slash, but Divine Wrath (335) generates a whip. Whips are purely Crush damage type. Go figure.

A Mularosian Paladin's 1630 (Judgement) also creates a whip, and theirs does slash damage.

Seems like whips need to be corrected, since they should be slash.

~ The girl behind Debia

Check out my websites!
www.ElanthianEvents.com
Coming soon: www.noishorah.com
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/angelofsharath
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/23/2017 07:52 AM CDT
> Seems like whips need to be corrected, since they should be slash.

No thanks, that's we have whip-blades for.

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS: I propose that Mularos's crit base is changed from Slashing to Crushing. This would align him to the whip rather than the whip-blade or dagger.

Amasalen's crit is Slashing, which makes perfect sense for him though.
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/23/2017 08:54 AM CDT
I was always a big fan of the Russian 'knout', probably a 2Hand whip, as presented in one of the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser.
- When just the tip struck, it was a slicing drawing stroke, so it would cut.
- When the thicker heavily braided part closer to the handle struck, it was a massive crushing blow. (I think it broke the peasant's back, in the book.)

Then again, Krakii started as a 1HCrush/2Hand user, so I was always a big fan of the idea of whips, and especially 2Handed ones. :)
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/24/2017 12:32 PM CDT
Whether or not whips are switched from crush to slash damage, they're little more then glorified fluff items. If either crit table had a fatal rank 4 injury like pierce does I could see arguing about which they are... but as it stands I really don't see the point.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/24/2017 01:23 PM CDT
This is a direct result of "HP == crit" resulting from the rewrite of the combat system from deICE.

In the past, I have suggested things like whip & bola & net have <pick a number> of crit weighting as part of the WEAPON PROFILE (i.e. "not affecting Enchant difficulty, or anything else") when entangling.
Something like +10 points per Armor Group: easy to dodge in robes, harder to dodge in brigandine, extremely hard to dodge in plate.
This determines the likelihood of DOING a crit (which are usually on the order of entangled, prone, stunned, whatever), while still having the weapon be not terribly effective (it's hard for a whip to do much direct damage to someone in plate).

Nothing ever came of it. So far.
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/24/2017 01:25 PM CDT
"Nothing ever came of it." -- Me, a moment ago

<glancing at Naamit>

If only there were someone who used whips a lot, who might possibly be enticed into being a GM...

<flee!>
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/24/2017 03:33 PM CDT
> Whether or not whips are switched from crush to slash damage, they're little more then glorified fluff items.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/24/2017 03:34 PM CDT
Or she'll whip you. <nod>
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/24/2017 04:34 PM CDT
With each one of my 106 whips, just to drive the point home!
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/24/2017 05:32 PM CDT
Sorry, that would be a Puncture crit. <shake head>

<flee!>
Re: Roa'ter Axes 10/24/2017 06:51 PM CDT
Can I take my pants off first?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Roa'ter Axes 11/04/2017 10:10 AM CDT
I believe JSENTER was being facetious. I rather like the idea of a large worm-shaped axe.

If someone gets aroused by looking at ultrasound images of pregnant women, is that a case of "Fetal Attraction"?