Wagons 08/22/2017 02:39 PM CDT
Ok, NOT cool using wagons with a long travel script and no way out of them for that Bloodriven thing. Thought it might be a merchant (since unfamiliar wagons often are) only to have to wait out that dumb script before I could get back to what I had been doing.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Wagons 08/22/2017 03:20 PM CDT
The wagons run every two minutes, and boot you out at the end. (I couldn't find an exit either.)

They tell you about them EVERY TIME you enter the game, giving you the specific location in EACH TOWN where they're located.

They also tell you the non-RP way of completely bypassing the wagons, by using the event-specific verb to travel to/from the event.

What more do you want from this set-up?
Re: Wagons 08/22/2017 03:33 PM CDT
You can also log and then back in immediately and you'll be on the other end. The return trip is immediate.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Wagons 08/22/2017 03:35 PM CDT

>You can also log and then back in immediately and you'll be on the other end. The return trip is immediate.

yeah I was doing this every run before the quest verb implementation.
Re: Wagons 08/22/2017 03:46 PM CDT
<What more do you want from this set-up?>

An exit to let me out without having to wait for it to arrive at its destination or relog when I accidentally step onto it without realizing what it is.

Pardon me for paying little attention to aspects of the game that hold no interest to me.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Wagons 08/22/2017 03:49 PM CDT
"Pardon me for paying little attention to aspects of the game that hold no interest to me." -- Starchitin

"They tell you about them EVERY TIME you enter the game..." -- Me, a moment ago, re-emphasized

Paying little attention to, like... the game?
Re: Wagons 08/22/2017 06:35 PM CDT
>What more do you want from this set-up?

Free unlimited bacon. Is that really too much to ask?

~ Methais
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 03:32 AM CDT
You buy a book and if you get perfect runs every single time from a book, you get 12500 bloodscrip.

A single book costs about $37.

In order to earn enough bloodscrip to buy one of the high end offerings, you need to buy 8 books for a 100k BS item ($296), 20 books for a 250k BS item ($740), and 32 books for a 400k item ($1184), all before scaling prices kick in.

There's something REALLY wrong with this.
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 06:35 AM CDT
There is an entire village of things that can be bought outside of the high-end scrip shop.

https://gswiki.play.net/Bloodriven_Village

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 08:30 AM CDT
Okay, call it nearly forty bucks. If you do all 50 runs and they take you 8 minutes, that's just over six and a half hours. Call that the top end; you may get done faster.
- TWO people eating lunch at Jerry's (I frequently take a break mid-week for lunch out of the office with my brother) can easily cross $35 for a 12" combo each. (We are not petite.) And we get significantly less than 6 hours for a lunch break. If we take Mom and go to Chipotle instead, we're pretty much there.
- ONE movie experience, if you hit the snackbar, can easily cross $30 for just one person. If Mom joins the two of us, just the tickets can break $40, and that's withOUT hitting the snackbar. (And few movies are 6 hours plus, though LotR start getting close in their extended editions.)
- Honestly, about the only thing that has more "bang for the buck" in the entertainment spectrum... is paying a little more for a whole month of GemStone. :)

Also, consider the fact that every one of the things in there--to include the High End shop, I believe--can be used by a character who has not yet titled (i.e. <20 levels); none of them are +40 or more.

So a low-level character just starting out--been here for a month or so--could go in and potentially get some really nice things if s/he does well.
Compared to <any of that stuff> with silvers... yeah, those clear tourmalines just don't add up that fast.
"Buy the silvers from sellers, then!" I hear you cry.
But that's putting money into another player's hand. If they buy the SimuCoins the money goes to Simutronics, and that's better.
"Buy the BloodScrip from sellers, then!" I hear you cry.
Sadly I can't refute that as an option. (Single parent of four holding down two jobs & taking classes just might not have the TIME to grind for BloodScrip, for example.)
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 11:28 AM CDT
>Okay, call it nearly forty bucks. If you do all 50 runs and they take you 8 minutes, that's just over six and a half hours. Call that the top end; you may get done faster. TWO people eating lunch at Jerry's (I frequently take a break mid-week for lunch out of the office with my brother) can easily cross $35 for a 12" combo each. (We are not petite.) And we get significantly less than 6 hours for a lunch break. If we take Mom and go to Chipotle instead, we're pretty much there. ONE movie experience, if you hit the snackbar, can easily cross $30 for just one person. If Mom joins the two of us, just the tickets can break $40, and that's withOUT hitting the snackbar. (And few movies are 6 hours plus, though LotR start getting close in their extended editions.) Honestly, about the only thing that has more "bang for the buck" in the entertainment spectrum... is paying a little more for a whole month of GemStone. :)

Your "little more," which is actually 3x the prime subscription fee or skipping a lunch date with mom or brother instead of adding the expense of the arena doesn't get your very much.
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 01:33 PM CDT
"actually 3x the prime subscription fee" -- DarkSyde32

And this is why I had long advocated for a more accurate naming of the subscription levels.
- (What is now Premium.) Standard. Normal game experience. 15 characters each with a locker in every town. Full access to all areas. And, (after Premium Points were released:) long-term customer appreciation points.
- (What is now Prime.) Economy. Somewhat restricted game experience. 1 character with a locker in a single town. Full access to most areas. No long-term benefit.
- (What at the time was the 1-month Trial account, pretty much now F2P.) Bargain Basement No Frills El Cheapo Just Browsing. Substantially restricted game experience with limited access to many game mechanics. 1 character with a small locker in a single town. Possibly limited access to many areas. No long-term benefit.

I was making a reference to a Premium--or, as I would have named it, a "Standard"--subscription. :)

"doesn't get your very much" -- ibid

By the math of the OP (PoisonOwnsYou), it was 12500 bloodscrip from a single book.
Tier4 (Auction/Raffle level) Forest Armor was only 15k (3 for the armor and 2/4/6 [== +12] for the unlocks), and you're already 85% of the way there. In six hours. Where else are you getting a Raffle-win item, guaranteed, in six hours?
In the entirety of the Village, there are two dozen (that's 24) items that cost MORE than what we're talking about acquiring, in 6 hours.

Six hours... it's nothing. Over a two-week event.
That's "a Saturday afternoon while the family is gone." Or that's "<pick a weekend day> after worship, while we're running the barbecue."

As a time commitment, it's trivial. As return on what you can get for it ([nearly] absolutely anything in the Village), it's fantastic.
"But I don't need any of that. I need the high-end."
Well, you don't NEED even that; they're still balancing for 4x gear. But I agree that the higher-end stuff is shiny.

So look at the high end stuff.
Two booklets (or less than an hour per day every day of the two-week event) gets you to 25k, and starting to open up some of the unlocking certificates.
Four booklets (an hour a day during the week and a three-hour stretch each day of the weekend) gets you to 50k, and there's quite a few shiny things at 50k.

Four booklets. Just over a hundred fifty bucks... or ten dollars a day for the two-week event, averaging to $5/hour. I've seen lemonade stands make more. (And you can be grinding Duskruin scrip while you're manning the stand!)
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 01:50 PM CDT
Demeaning customers by calling their subscription levels economy and el-cheapo sound like great suggestions.
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 01:54 PM CDT

>Demeaning customers by calling their subscription levels economy and el-cheapo sound like great suggestions.

this is pretty much what airlines do and profits are higher than ever
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 02:02 PM CDT
I didn't realize Simutronics was an airline company. My mistake.
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 02:05 PM CDT

>I didn't realize Simutronics was an airline company. My mistake.

it's a company with customers. You said something generally, I said that's what airlines do.
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 02:35 PM CDT

el-cheapo, yes. Economy, however, has a frugality associated with it. "I want economy, I want exactly what I need and don't charge me for any extras"
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 04:36 PM CDT
>- TWO people eating lunch at Jerry's (I frequently take a break mid-week for lunch out of the office with my brother) can easily cross $35 for a 12" combo each. (We are not petite.) And we get significantly less than 6 hours for a lunch break. If we take Mom and go to Chipotle instead, we're pretty much there. -Krakii

Yes but will you die if you go too long without going to DR like you will if you don't eat?

>- ONE movie experience, if you hit the snackbar, can easily cross $30 for just one person. If Mom joins the two of us, just the tickets can break $40, and that's withOUT hitting the snackbar. (And few movies are 6 hours plus, though LotR start getting close in their extended editions.)

If mom is joinng you, she's likely to be bringing her purse. Purses are a great way to eat candy at the movies without paying $17 for a Snickers bar.

>WHICH items are no longer available for silvers? Ones bought from other players? Or ones bought from NPCs?

If silvers become worthless, why would anyone sell their high end stuff to anyone for silvers instead of cash/scrip? They sell their ebow for 500m and then what? What do they do with that 500m that has no longer has any buying power outside of the person who bought the ebow from them taking advantage of an ignorant seller?

>this is pretty much what airlines do and profits are higher than ever

Airlines are also typically viewed as some of the biggest scumbags on the planet too, maybe like one or two tiers below lawyers and politicians. Just saying. Air travel is also a necessity for a lot of people. Playing a 30 year old text game, at least for most people, isn't.

>Unless the pool of available silver is reduced, and while silver can be farmed in such quantities, silver must eventually continue to lose value.

Simu released 99 DR books for 10,250,000 yesterday and they sold out in under a half hour. That's a billion silvers gone forever, and nobody will be able to generate new silvers at a rate that can keep up with that price tag.

~ Methais
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 04:41 PM CDT
I could see some Compromise to allowing limited sales of books etc for silvers. Can't be too much or people will end up farming silvers to make up the gap. Also, can't be too convenient, since convenience is one of the goals of simucoins.

Maybe a flash sale, unannounced, once per event?
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 07:27 PM CDT
Just have 2 high end silver auctions per year, keep the pay events as pay events using whatever funky currency they want to implement. Silvers keep high value, more people are happy.
Re: Wagons 08/23/2017 10:35 PM CDT
>>I've said repeatedly that the problem is not for those who sell silvers for cash. I don't much care about that either. The problem is much worse for those who would rather pay silvers, but items are no longer available for silvers, because silvers are worthless. Those who buy and sell cor cash will continue to do so and will go about their merry way. It's people who like to hunt and earn a decent number of silvers and then spend them. Those are the ones who will be left holding the bag.

Kerl<<

Thanks to a number of folks for chiming in that are more eloquent than I am. :-)

I spend a lot of my time making alchemy items which I sell, enchanting items for my shop or as a service, and occasionally forging weapons for sale as well. I also hunt with my various characters... at least a part of the fun for participating in all of these activities is that it allows for my characters to amass some quantity of silver which, over time, allows me to acquire nice items. I'm not a power hunter, I don't amass millions of silver each week running scripts and farming the lands, but I do make a decent amount of silver over the course of a year - more through my merchanting efforts than from hunting. Any time I get to a certain level of silver, usually around 20-40 million silver (which is a lot for some and not so much for others), I go out and buy my next toy from some player willing to sell their cool item for silvers.

If the in game economy becomes so toxic that people are no longer willing to sell fun items for silver or we get to a point of in-game hyper-inflation that we start needing barrels of silver in order to buy the next toy then at some point I'll either start charging crazy amounts for my products and services (which will contribute to the hyper-inflation issue or people will stop buying my things) or I'll just decide that it's no longer worth my time to invest in these activities because there's no fun toy at the end of the whole process. I have no interest in switching to a US dollar based currency in game for many reasons and suspect my enjoyment of the game overall will diminish rapidly if my in game efforts result in a pile of silver shaped sand at the end of the day.

So to change my answer to your question Wyrom... we'll need to see what is being taken away but at least in the short term I am seeing less items being offered for silvers and more items being offered only for USD or alternate currencies. Short term I don't care but if things don't turn around at some point I suspect a lot of people will decide to move on when the in-game currency buys you nothing and everything 'cool' translates into additional $$$ on top of a monthly subscription fee (regardless of your in-game efforts). Sure there is RP but... what is there to strive for when it's all about what is in my wallet and not what my character(s) can accomplish?

-- Robert

You gesture at a colossal glaes-covered meteor.
The scream of tortured metal echoes around you as the lightning bolt strikes a colossal glaes-covered meteor.