Sylvan Wedding Ceremonies 12/08/2010 12:24 PM CST
I have been curious if there was any real documentation on Sylvan wedding ceremonies. Anyone know or have some insight? I was also interested in whether or not there was a particular tree that sylvan's might consider sacred or not.
Re: Sylvan Wedding Ceremonies 12/08/2010 12:46 PM CST
Sylvans info has never been something I've been interested in but this is on the website, in regards to trees/materials:

Rowan:

The rowan has long enjoyed its reputation to protect against enchantment, however there is also evidence that supports the fact that it has the capacity to channel enchantment as well when formed into rune staves, or sticks upon which runes are inscribed. Among the more rural human and sylvan communities, there are instances recorded where rowan wood is used for metal divining, as hazel twigs are used for water. Rowan has played a central role in druidic ceremonies for centuries, and among rural populations, sprigs are often placed over the main door of the house and also worn on the person to ward off false enchantment.

Examine a red rowan berry and you will discover that unlike other fruits that bear just a round hollow or dimple opposite their stalks, it carries a tiny, five-pointed star, or pentagram -- the ancient magical symbol for protection.

I think maoral and modwir have significance to them as well, but I'm sure one of the resident sylvan-fans will be able to go more in depth on that as well as provide you with the answer regarding documentation on weddings. =)
Re: Sylvan Wedding Ceremonies 12/08/2010 03:08 PM CST
There isn't any documentation on the wedding ceremony itself, more pointing out how marriage was viewed and how marriages were arranged.

See: http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/sylvan_history/sylvan_eleven.asp

"Marriage was more than a union between two sylvans; it was considered a solemn oath that was not to be broken unless all other recourses had been exhausted. During the long years spent journeying to Yuriqen, the union between sylvan individuals often relied, out of necessity, on two individuals choosing each other. In Yuriqen, such unofficial practices soon disappeared. Marriages were usually arranged between families, and were designed to bring about honor for the houses more than to facilitate any sort of romantic alliance. Often two sylvans who were betrothed had never met prior to the engagement ceremony. In some cases, where two households were closely allied, such as ties within a D'aharanal, the attraction of a suitable sylvan youth to a likewise interested girl was deemed auspicious, and the betrothal of the two combined both political and emotional goals. Ultimately, the happiness of the pair was considered important, but children resulting from the union were the ultimate goal."

Given Imaera is the center of sylvan religion and they so highly revere nature, I'd imagine that would have a significant impact upon the traditional ceremonies, but we have nothing concrete.

As best as I can tell, the sylvans don't have one particular tree that is sacred as opposed to others. Some trees may be more highly regarded, such as the seven modwirs which comprised Yuriqen, the ring of silver-leafed aspens that protected Yuriqen as the Silver Veil, or the faewood which is associated with Imaera. There's nothing outright stating anything like, "The sylvans revere such-and-such a tree."

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia