Culture Question 12/04/2012 07:08 PM CST
Created a new Sylvan, as I've always been interested in them, and have read their history in the past and found it intriguing. I am left with one question though. My understanding is that all Sylvan out in the world would be of the Lassaran culture, as they left Yuriqen. Or were the other three cultures in place before the sundering, and belonging to one of them meant never having been part of the group that found Yuriqen.

Thanks for the response!

Appoloin
Re: Culture Question 12/05/2012 11:38 AM CST
I am not the Sylvan guru, so this is my personal opinion.

While there is a logic to the only Lassarn idea, I am of the opinion that while Yuriqen is THE sylvan city and where the majority of the population dwell, there are other Sylvan communities that exist outside of it. Perhaps some of the Sylvans did not want the protection for the trade off of isolation, or perhaps, they had homes near but not in Yuriqen that they were not going to abandon. Others might have been enslaved, escaped, but not in time to return home before the isolation went up. They, in turn, created their own communities.

The real short mechanical answer is, you can be of any sylvan culture, ergo, sylvans of those cultures exist beyond Yuriqen.

GM Scribes
Re: Culture Question 12/07/2012 11:47 PM CST
Here is my take on it. The original sylvans were all Lassaran, however the lassaran was more of a group of the other D'ahranals that chose to leave and walk about. As time went on those sylvans settled down and those from other D'ahranals started taking up their traditional occupations and distinctions.

In general i see the Lassaran now being the ones who have wonderlust, always traveling and moving. So the difference between say a Tyesteron warrior and a Lassaran warrior would be the Lassaran would travel much more rather than setting down roots, even if those roots are not in a sylvan community (they would serve the community basically the same way they would a sylvan one).

Player of Malisai