Sylvan outcasts 08/10/2011 01:35 PM CDT
How do sylvans (in general / yours specifically) deal with... shall we say... those of a very different nature? To the point where the love of nature, Imaera, trees/forests/etc. in general is ignored. This gent prefers metal and tubes to wood and roots, and is more likely to be found in a workshop underground than a tree above.

He is not insane.
He is not possessed.
He has not forsaken his people due to a horrible injustice.
He simply.. doesn't.. fit.

- Hopscotch, apprentice golemsmith
Re: Sylvan outcasts 08/10/2011 01:36 PM CDT
And on that note:

How do sylvans (in general / yours specifically) feel about golems and other magical/mechanical constructs?

- Hopscotch, apprentice golemsmith / occasional lumberjack / and that's okay
Re: Sylvan outcasts 08/10/2011 07:47 PM CDT
I'm not really comfortable giving a response for "all sylvans" because each sylvan has a personality of their own and tolerance levels that vary. In general, most 'traditional' sylvans from Yuriqen would view it as a travesty because he/she would be missing out on such a spiritual and unique connection to nature and Imaera. The sylvan people are in general a very spiritual and traditional people and traditions mean a lot to them. However, the sylvans you meet now are those who have left their homes and travelled. Their ideas have devloped and changed based on the influences of the various cultures and areas they have come across. How much those things influence them is up to each player to determine. I'd be interested in hearing from individual players as to how they think their character would view such a sylvan, should they run into them, and why.

~Naionna
Re: Sylvan outcasts 09/03/2011 06:04 PM CDT
While my sylvan would recoil at the thought of living in a cave (with no trees etc) herself, she wouldn't reject such a person based on the fact that he wasn't "Sylvan enough". She would be challenged to be able to relate well to anyone who had no link with nature, sylvan or not.

A black-billed nightingale examines you carefully then says, "With all the vicious creatures we've got threatening the city, I would think that a person with your skills could find plenty to do."
Re: Sylvan outcasts 09/04/2011 03:01 AM CDT
I'm just going to stipulate you say "familiar nature" instead of nature.. caves are amazing places with a natural environment all their own. I love being in caves WAY too much.
Re: Sylvan outcasts 09/04/2011 10:14 AM CDT
While I'm not fond of being stipulated! :) I will concede the "nature " I intended, without spelling it out, was the kind not found in caves (mentioned prior in the statement). True enough though, there is life in caves. My Sylvan, and I'd further say the stereo-typical Sylvan, would be referring to the more commonly thought of (in regards to Sylvans) forests.

My Sylvan may not be comfortable in the cave where you found your lichen, cave moss or mushroom, for example, - but she would appreciate that they were living plants. But that's my Sylvan, others may be just fine with it!

The OP though, is speaking of a non-interest in nature, in a cave or out, if I remember right. He wants to, it would seem, learn how to tinker like an ankle biter, I mean -cough- Gnome.

A black-billed nightingale examines you carefully then says, "With all the vicious creatures we've got threatening the city, I would think that a person with your skills could find plenty to do."