hulking troll warlord 05/25/2011 07:01 AM CDT
I believe I know the answer to this question already.

These invasion creatures are close to if not capped plus.

They also see to be Troll Kings on Steroids.

So I assume if one were to collect their blood to animate, the blood would be the equivalent of Troll King Blood?

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: hulking troll warlord 05/25/2011 07:30 AM CDT
They should, yes. Sometimes they cap the benefits you can get from the blood like they did the Grimswarm. However, I doubt they did this with these trolls. The formula is so convoluted, though, you may be doing yourself more harm than good in using it. It is still likely worth stockpiling a crazy amount of blood from the highest level troll you can get your hands on. Remember, you can preserve a scroll with crystals and collect his blood for a long, long time.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe
Re: hulking troll warlord 05/25/2011 08:17 AM CDT
I had guessed that answer based on animating for the last 6 years.

What is sad? No one has mentioned collecting this troll's blood. I can make a couple of guesses why.

1. 730 is such a hassle very few folks animate anymore. (truthfully Zhelas animates dead characters more than anything else today)

2. We knew nothing has changed in regards to the animate creature formula so why bother.

To be honest the only reason why Zhelas keeps his 100 ranks of necromancy is for 711 (Pain). I have grown tired of 730.

Peace
Zhelas

Re: hulking troll warlord 05/25/2011 01:27 PM CDT
<<No one has mentioned collecting this troll's blood. I can make a couple of guesses why.>>

I'll provide my two answers...
A) Despite always priding myself as a necromancer, I decided to finally drop my 68 necro ranks to 1 rank. As a result, I think my CS went up by 5, and I was able to 1x in perception. In the two weeks since the change, I've had more enjoyment and benefit from the ranks in perception than I had in all my years of having the necro ranks. I miss 711 a little, but I have enough other disablers it is not an issue ATM.

B) I do not recall Nilven's exact words, but he said something along the lines of you want as many necro ranks as the level of blood you are using to get the most benefit out of it. 100 ranks of necro is a lot of TPs. Even if a person liked the spell, odds are they won't be able to take full advantage of the superior blood. If I remember correctly, and I have some doubts as to if I do, the better blood raises the MAL but reduces duration if you don't have the ranks for it. (assuming you are making your own crystals, of course)

I could not tell you the last time I saw an animate for a purpose other than RP or by someone with one of those 730 wands.
Re: hulking troll warlord 05/25/2011 02:14 PM CDT
On the plus side, 3 more wands dropped, so that's KINDA like animate dead improvements...just, you know, for those three people.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe
Re: hulking troll warlord 05/25/2011 02:20 PM CDT
sacrifice sucks. 730 sucks.

let sacrifice be used to extend duration of animates without gems/components.

win win.

~Moredin
Re: hulking troll warlord 05/25/2011 02:24 PM CDT
As I said in the other thread, that's just genius, Moredin.

Re: hulking troll warlord 05/25/2011 05:07 PM CDT
>>I could not tell you the last time I saw an animate for a purpose other than RP or by someone with one of those 730 wands.

Exactly! Which really is a shame:(

I used to make an effort to animate creatures. Now... I only do it if I am bored. Zhelas is on Teras mainly. I have him animate Triton Radicals. When I discover one with a spawning TD of 429 to 436, I will animate them, if that is my goal.

I could see myself animating more creatures in OTF ...If I wanted to do a Greater Construct Bounty.

I though about bringing an animate, from Teras to the Landing to help fight the troll invasion. By the time I get the animate, spell it up, live through 740. Get mana back... I will have a terrible duration....Just not worth the headache.

Peace
Zhelas

Re: hulking troll warlord 05/29/2011 12:46 AM CDT
>>I could not tell you the last time I saw an animate for a purpose other than RP or by someone with one of those 730 wands.

>>Exactly! Which really is a shame:(

I animated something the other night for the first time in a long time.. Not sure what I was thinking..

I'd drop my necromancy ranks all together if it weren't for 711 and my necromancer title.

I wish I could end up with a soulstone wand. So I could at least heal the thing.

Nattor
Re: hulking troll warlord 05/29/2011 05:25 AM CDT
<< I wish I could end up with a soulstone wand. So I could at least heal the thing.>>

There is a healing potion in alchemy for animates. Collecting the ingredients for the potion would be about 10 times more work than collecting the ingredients for animation crystals.
Re: hulking troll warlord 05/29/2011 06:45 AM CDT
Not to mention the hassle of mastering alchemy.

I see that potion as another component for a component laiden spell.

Unless things have change that potion only heals minor wounds.

Peace
Zhelas