705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 05:27 PM CDT
Is there a reason why the lore requirements for disintegration bolt is so high? By the time I get to a point where I can train/afford 20 ranks in necromancy lore, the odds of my sorcerer needing a bolt spell or being effective with one will be nearly gone.

Just saying...it would be nice if my lvl 7 sorcerer could cast bolt spells...instead of waiting until he is so old he routinely needs to use 102.
Re: 705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 08:28 PM CDT
Much like 702, they didn't want to overpower the spell due to the added lore modifier for increased damage.

(j/k)
Re: 705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 08:28 PM CDT
As an aside, though the damage is horrible, 1700 can be cast as a bolt spell from offensive.
Re: 705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 08:36 PM CDT
<<As an aside, though the damage is horrible, 1700 can be cast as a bolt spell from offensive.>>

That's what I use today, but for such piddly damage to cause 5 seconds hard RT is often rather dangerous to use as a bolt. 705 bolt would be very useful in conjunction with a bloodburst or two...and more reliable than 702. I guess I just want to understand what the 20 ranks of lore requirement was meant to prevent/preserve.

It just seems excessive since DF-wise its got the exact same power as 904 (minor acid) so I don't understand what would make it need such a high lore input to work. Now if you said you needed 20 ranks of lore to get the extra disintegration benefits on armor, etc with the bolt that would make perfect sense to me.
Re: 705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 09:28 PM CDT

<Just saying...it would be nice if my lvl 7 sorcerer could cast bolt spells...instead of waiting until he is so old he routinely needs to use 102.

You can still bolt with 102 up, fyi.
Re: 705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 09:39 PM CDT
<<You can still bolt with 102 up, fyi.>>

Just not well enough to make it worthwhile for most older sorcerers...whereas against greater orcs and mongrel hobgoblins bolting would be a godsend at level 7. Especially considering some of the armor the hobgoblins wear.
Re: 705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 09:49 PM CDT

>Just not well enough to make it worthwhile for most older sorcerers...whereas against greater orcs and mongrel hobgoblins bolting would be a godsend at level 7. Especially considering some of the armor the hobgoblins wear.

102 doesn't subtract from bolt offense anymore. It's been like 15 years since it did.
Re: 705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 10:06 PM CDT
<<
102 doesn't subtract from bolt offense anymore. It's been like 15 years since it did.>>

Well ain't that a kick in the head...you are right. Bah I have been cheating myself of extra defenses.

Thanks for the tip.

Still doesn't answer if there is a reason for the high lore requirement for bolting...20 ranks to make the spell equivalent to a minor wizard spell a level lower. I just want to know if the lore is an arbitrary setup or if there is a justification for it I don't understand.
Re: 705 Lore requirements 08/26/2015 10:26 PM CDT

>I just want to know if the lore is an arbitrary setup or if there is a justification for it I don't understand.

There's precedence for the 20 ranks with web bolt and summoning lore
Re: 705 Lore requirements 09/01/2015 09:28 AM CDT

I have a hard time imagining that any level 7 sorcerer has enough mana to hunt with a fifth level bolt spell.

Remember that 1700 has a bolt version. That's probably a more viable option.