Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 10:20 AM CST
Estild-

Since you're being so open and generous about lore benefits, how about describing the per tier benefit for necro energy/juice accumulation?

Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 02:45 PM CST
VANKRASN39
Estild-
Since you're being so open and generous about lore benefits, how about describing the per tier benefit for necro energy/juice accumulation?

Sorcerers are allowed to gain up to 10,000 necrotic energy points per week or 35,000 total. Each like level kill is 10 points, with + or - 1 point for each level difference up to -10 or +10, so 0 to 20 base points possible for each kill. Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy provides a flat modifier, using a seed 1 summation / 2. So at 100 lore ranks, it provides +6 points for each kill, which is 60% bonus against like level kills. Of course, since it's a flat modifier, the percent bonus varies depending on the base amount of points gained (which is determined by the level difference). So if you were overhunting by 10 levels, the lore bonus is only about 30%, or if you're underhunting by 5 levels, the bonus is 120%.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 03:11 PM CST

>Necromancy lore provides a flat modifier, using a seed 1 summation / 2. So at 100 lore ranks, it provides +6 points for each kill, which is 60% bonus against like level kills.

The dividing by 2 is very confusing to me. Since it is truncating, one only receives additional benefits every two tiers?
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 03:13 PM CST
VANKRASN39
The dividing by 2 is very confusing to me. Since it is truncating, one only receives additional benefits every two tiers?

Correct.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 03:19 PM CST
>> >Necromancy lore provides a flat modifier, using a seed 1 summation / 2. So at 100 lore ranks, it provides +6 points for each kill, which is 60% bonus against like level kills.

>> The dividing by 2 is very confusing to me. Since it is truncating, one only receives additional benefits every two tiers?

That is what the example provided would seem to indicate.

Tier 12 is at 78 ranks
Tier 13 is at 91 ranks
Tier 14 is at 105 ranks

Someone with 90 lore ranks would have 12 / 2 = 6 from each kill.
Someone with 100 lore ranks would have 13 / 2 = 6.5 (truncated down to 6 points) from each kill.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 03:24 PM CST

>Correct.

eesh, glad I stopped at an even number tier. Thanks much for the explanation. Now to dig up more mysteries
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 04:03 PM CST
VANKRASN39
Estild-

Sorcerers are allowed to gain up to 10,000 necrotic energy points per week or 35,000 total. Each like level kill is 10 points, with + or - 1 point for each level difference up to -10 or +10, so 0 to 20 base points possible for each kill. Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy provides a flat modifier, using a seed 1 summation / 2. So at 100 lore ranks, it provides +6 points for each kill, which is 60% bonus against like level kills. Of course, since it's a flat modifier, the percent bonus varies depending on the base amount of points gained (which is determined by the level difference). So if you were overhunting by 10 levels, the lore bonus is only about 30%, or if you're underhunting by 5 levels, the bonus is 120%.
GameMaster Estild

Someone should update the gswiki with this VERY useful information. Hint. Hint.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 04:30 PM CST

>Someone should update the gswiki with this VERY useful information. Hint. Hint.

yes, I plan to, but like you guys I have a day job and it's billing time :P
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 04:33 PM CST
VANKRASN39
yes, I plan to, but like you guys I have a day job and it's billing time :P

Oh...that just shattered my personal image of you. I had always thought you were a professional Sorcerer in real life.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 04:51 PM CST
<Someone should update the gswiki with this VERY useful information. Hint. Hint.>

Done, though someone should prolly check other parts of the article to make sure there aren't other spots with outdated or speculative information. If no one else touches it in the next couple days, I'll go through and try to clean up the page since there looks to be some areas where folk are speculating about things we now know for certain one way or the other (I just don't have time to comb through the whole article ATM).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 04:59 PM CST

>Oh...that just shattered my personal image of you. I had always thought you were a professional Sorcerer in real life.

I've earned a whole cup of chai from my sorcery!

Only one person is really going to appreciate that statement.
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 05:09 PM CST

>I'll go through and try to clean up the page since there looks to be some areas where folk are speculating about things we now know for certain one way or the other (I just don't have time to comb through the whole article ATM).

there was one area of theory
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 06:04 PM CST
Are these conclusion correct?

(1) A Sorcerer with 78 necromancy lore ranks (tier 12) would get 16 points per like-level kill and would need to kill 625 (10,000/16=625) like-level critters to reach the weekly cap.

(2) A Sorcerer with 91 necromancy lore ranks (tier 13) would also need to kill 625 like-level critters to reach the weekly cap.

(3) The reduction in the number of like-level critters required to reach the weekly cap decreases with each additional tier. For example, a Sorcerer at tier 2 would need to kill 90 fewer critters than a Sorcerer at tier 1. But a Sorcerer at tier 12 would need to kill 41 fewer like-level critters than a Sorcerer at tier 11. Tier 2 (just 2 necromancy ranks more than tier 1) gives a much greater benefit than tier 12 (12 more ranks than tier 11).
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/04/2015 07:28 PM CST
>Are these conclusion correct?

>(1) A Sorcerer with 78 necromancy lore ranks (tier 12) would get 16 points per like-level kill and would need to kill 625 (10,000/16=625) like-level critters to reach the weekly cap.

>(2) A Sorcerer with 91 necromancy lore ranks (tier 13) would also need to kill 625 like-level critters to reach the weekly cap.

>(3) The reduction in the number of like-level critters required to reach the weekly cap decreases with each additional tier. For example, a Sorcerer at tier 2 would need to kill 90 fewer critters than a Sorcerer at tier 1. But a Sorcerer at tier 12 would need to kill 41 fewer like-level critters than a Sorcerer at tier 11. Tier 2 (just 2 necromancy ranks more than tier 1) gives a much greater benefit than tier 12 (12 more ranks than tier 11). -- Kardios

Yes to all. The first bonus is at 3 ranks but to increase the bonus from 5 to 6 requires an additional 23 ranks (see table).

Necrotic Energy Bonus

RanksBonus-RanksBonus
31-786
102-1057
213-1368
364-1719
555-21010

Note: Bonus is capped at [10 - (character level - creature level)]

Example: A level 60 character with 55 Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy ranks (max bonus 5) would only gain a total 4 energy points (including the lore bonus) killing a level 52 creature. Two points from the lvl v lvl difference and two points from the capped lore bonus.

This is my understanding of how it is calculated.

Mark
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/05/2015 07:10 AM CST
Thanks for the info Estild and for charting it out Mark. Any chance you could throw that chart up on the wiki under the Ensorcell entry, Mark?

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/05/2015 08:00 AM CST
Thanks to everyone posting in this thread.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/05/2015 08:43 AM CST

If you're a pure demonologist with no interest in training in necromancy lores, you should nevertheless get those first three ranks of necromancy lore. It's a very big benefit for a small investment.
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/05/2015 11:14 PM CST
>If you're a pure demonologist with no interest in training in necromancy lores, you should nevertheless get those first three ranks of necromancy lore. It's a very big benefit for a small investment.

+1. I forget at the moment, but I got the number to enable the full 33% of Pain and highest RT (even if the endroll needed is high). I consider my character more of a demonologist, but these benefits are very good.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/06/2015 12:25 AM CST
Estild - thanks for the information. Could you clarify the one other impact of necromancy on 735? According to Coase's original post: "90 ranks of necromancy gives an a second AS/CS boost, and 180 ranks is supposed to give a third."

I've heard from sorcerers who had gotten to 180 ranks that the third attack does not appear. Could you confirm that it does, or perhaps look into why it doesn't?

And slightly changing the subject from lores:
"The strength and frequency of the life channeling flares increase based on the tier of the ensorcellment"
-- Also Coase

I tracked runestaff flare frequency over several thousand casts for each tier and never saw any difference from tier to tier. What's the deal there?
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/06/2015 12:34 AM CST
GOAT
Estild - thanks for the information. Could you clarify the one other impact of necromancy on 735? According to Coase's original post: "90 ranks of necromancy gives an a second AS/CS boost, and 180 ranks is supposed to give a third."
I've heard from sorcerers who had gotten to 180 ranks that the third attack does not appear. Could you confirm that it does, or perhaps look into why it doesn't?
And slightly changing the subject from lores:
"The strength and frequency of the life channeling flares increase based on the tier of the ensorcellment"
-- Also Coase
I tracked runestaff flare frequency over several thousand casts for each tier and never saw any difference from tier to tier. What's the deal there?

180 ranks of Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy definitely grants 3 flares. I just tested it to confirm. The frequency of the flares is not affected by the ensorcellment tier. That was probably a miscommunication since it was something that we originally considered, but decided against.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/06/2015 12:34 AM CST
>Could you clarify the one other impact of necromancy on 735? According to Coase's original post: "90 ranks of necromancy gives an a second AS/CS boost, and 180 ranks is supposed to give a third."

Another tidbit. I've heard that this doesn't work for non-sorcerers. Personally, I can't see the reason for that. I have no characters that would be affected in probably, the next decade, but personally would not mind if non-sorcerers can also experience this boost if they put in the training effort. Though, there is the tainted bond CMAN for certain classes, which sorcerers cannot access; if there's a change, I rather feel like this CMAN should also be made available to sorcerers, too.

Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/06/2015 12:39 AM CST
Sorry, I misquoted Coase about the 90/180 ranks thing, even though the content was the same. His actual words:

"Training in Sorcerer Lore, Necromancy allows the sorcerer to retain this bonus for one extra attack at 90 ranks or two extra attacks at 180 ranks."
Re: Lore benefit for Ensorcell? 03/06/2015 12:40 AM CST
And thank you for the speedy reply! :-)