Dark Catalyst, Sanctuaries, and Crimson Salt Crystals 01/30/2014 12:36 AM CST
I never asked this question, since I assumed it must have been brought up before. If that's true, I'd just like to get filled in on the status.

The requirement of Dark Catalyst to make animation crystals is fine by me (and even if Fire Spirit could be more sensible, I suppose some sorcerers would complain about needing a Minor Spiritual spell to 730). But I often might make them while resting, which in River's Rest may be the Sanctuary. Unfortunately, I have to leave the Sanctuary to finish the crystals, since Dark Catalyst is a spell of war.

My guess is that it's too much of a coding headache to fix this bug given that it's easy enough to go into another room, cast DC, and come back. But am I right that this can be considered a bug, at least?

~daid (player of Kaldonis)
Re: Dark Catalyst, Sanctuaries, and Crimson Salt Crystals 03/04/2014 10:18 AM CST
<<But am I right that this can be considered a bug, at least?>>

I seriously doubt it, that room has been a sanctuary since is was first created and I doubt that will change since it's one of only two permanent sancs in the town it's self that I can think of off the top of my head. Besides, I doubt they'd change sanctuaries to allow a spell that deals damage when attack spells like Web, silence, etc that don't deal damage also cannot be cast in them either (no nitpicking about that newfangled web bolt...).

There's always the commons if you're looking for a spot to absorb exp while making crystals. If you just want a quiet spot to work in, there's the roof of the bank, the point, the guild, the pier, several rooms in the warrens, the graveyard...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Dark Catalyst, Sanctuaries, and Crimson Salt Crystals 03/05/2014 09:42 AM CST
I happened to reference the RR Sanctuary.

The "bug" I'm referencing is that salt crystals cannot be made in any sanctuary. 213 type, TSC, RR Sanctuary, etc.

Sure Dark Catalyst is a "spell of war" but making salt crystals shouldn't be.

~daid (player of the temporally-challenged Harvest-Moon clan)
Re: Dark Catalyst, Sanctuaries, and Crimson Salt Crystals 03/05/2014 10:20 AM CST

>The "bug" I'm referencing is that salt crystals cannot be made in any sanctuary.

I don't see it as a bug, but a consequence of the 719 requirement.

Are the town commons also sancted? The third RR super node in the Beacon Hall common room should not be sanctified.
Re: Dark Catalyst, Sanctuaries, and Crimson Salt Crystals 03/05/2014 10:43 AM CST
<<Are the town commons also sancted?>>

No, though the occasional bard or empath occasionally sees fit to inflict such on others.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Dark Catalyst, Sanctuaries, and Crimson Salt Crystals 03/07/2014 04:50 AM CST
Fair enough.

And yeah, I often sit at BHA Commons. I'm an officer, after all.

I also get annoyed that I can't disintegrate garbage in sanctified rooms either. Gives me any excuse to make the void illusions, I suppose.

~daid (player of the temporally-challenged Harvest-Moon clan)
Re: Dark Catalyst, Sanctuaries, and Crimson Salt Crystals 03/07/2014 03:51 PM CST
>Sure Dark Catalyst is a "spell of war" but making salt crystals shouldn't be.

not to point out the obvious, but this only matters for the fraction of a second it takes to cast. The crystals can cook on a node...prep 719\r North\r, cast solution\r, south\r...problem solved. Even if it could be debated as a bug, I tend to doubt it's worth the energy of making sanctuary code(s) accept casting a war spell at an inanimate object for something that 4 commands can fix by PCs on the fairly rare instance it's an issue...granted, I'd love to disintegrate boxes and whatnot in sancts, but then that's why I don't rest on sancts and keep an Abyran'sa demon with me at all times.

--Jurp