Demon preferences 04/10/2016 12:53 AM CDT
OK, now that my sorcerer has mastered illusions, I am just looking for opinions form those who have more experience with demons: what minor demon is the one you summon most, and why?

Thanks,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Demon preferences 04/10/2016 04:31 AM CDT

It depends on why you are summoning it.

For RP purposes, you can start by reading the Enchiridion Valentia, which you can buy in the guild or read online at https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/The_Enchiridion_Valentia
If you buy a copy, read this to see how it works: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Enchiridion_Valentia

For mechanical purposes, look at the chart summarizing the abilities of each demon at https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/725

Generally, if you want it mainly to carry coins, get a grik, grantris or verlok. If you want it to carry items, get a grantris or verlok. If you want it to hold mana to send to you, get a darkling or shadowling. If you want it for Balefire, get an imp (not a consensus opinion). If you want it to protect you from pickpockets, get an aishan. There are other abilities, such as delivering messages and affecting sanctuaries. Most demons have all of the abilities to varying degrees. Imps are fairly average at most of the abilities, so that might be a good demon to summon if you are unsure.
Re: Demon preferences 04/10/2016 08:57 AM CDT
The previous post gives you a pretty good run down mechanically. And yes the table on gswiki for 725 lays it out pretty nicely, too!

I daresay a large fraction of the response you'll find is purely RP though. My sorcerer (at least thinks he) has a history with Lorae'Tyr, so he mostly summons demons from there. For now, it's a good coincidence because igaesha is the first one I can illusion, so I'll probably keep that one for awhile. It's also the only minor demon I have a tattoo of (at present).

Congrats on mastering illusions! I'm still working on it, but my investment time seems so much more worth it now that I can illusion any demon. I don't recall who's idea it was, but the idea to interlace demons with other illusions for progression, rather than sticking them all at the end, was really clever.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Demon preferences 04/10/2016 01:50 PM CDT
Thanks, Kardios and Daid, for the responses. I just wanted some thoughts to help me sort it out. This helps.

By the way, Daid, since you are still working on illusions, there is something useful to know that I do not think is mentioned in the Wiki: although you can do increasingly more difficult demon illusions as you improve, you don't have to. My sorcerer stuck with the igaesha most of the way through, and the reps still counted even though other demons became possible.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"