I want minor demons...like that 01/05/2014 11:30 AM CST
>You feel the dark power of the black voidling pulling at you.
CS: +416 - TD: +342 + CvA: +11 + d100: +89 - +40 == +134
Warding failed!
You feel dizzy for a moment as your mana is siphoned off!

A blood-soaked black voidling shoots a shaft of pure darkness at you!
CS: +416 - TD: +342 + CvA: +11 + d100: +43 - +40 == +88
Warded off!
>A small dusky six-clawed imp murmurs quietly to itself.
>>>A small dusky six-clawed imp swings a wickedly curved palache at you!
AS: +137 vs DS: +534 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +83 = -284
A clean miss.
>A small dusky six-clawed imp points a furry finger at you!
A small dusky six-clawed imp hurls a stream of water at you!
You deflect the bolt with your runestaff!
>sw

>You feel the dark power of the black voidling pulling at you.
The dull golden nimbus surrounding you flares into life as it glows brightly for a moment.
CS: +416 - TD: +342 + CvA: +11 + d100: +77 - +40 == +122
Warding failed!
You feel dizzy for a moment as your mana is siphoned off!

A blood-soaked black voidling shoots a shaft of pure darkness at you!
CS: +416 - TD: +342 + CvA: +11 + d100: +72 - +40 == +117
Warding failed!
You feel an icy pain shoot through your body for 10 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
A gallant effort to elude the blast, but you got hit in the hip!
You are stunned for 3 rounds!
!S>!S>A small dusky six-clawed imp points a furry finger at you!
A small dusky six-clawed imp hurls a freezing ball of pure cold at you!
!S>A small dusky six-clawed imp points a furry finger at you!
A small dusky six-clawed imp hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
!S>A small dusky six-clawed imp scurries in!
!S>A small dusky six-clawed imp murmurs quietly to itself.
!S>A small dusky six-clawed imp points a furry finger at you!
A small dusky six-clawed imp hurls a roaring ball of fire at you!
AS: +722 vs DS: +478 with AvD: +70 + d100 roll: +30 = +344
... and hits for 128 points of damage!
Flames cook your chest. Feels about medium well.
The wall of force disappears from around you.
The dim aura fades from around you.
You lose your extra internal fortitude.
You notice your blood flow go back to normal.
The light blue glow leaves you.
Your senses are no longer as sharp.
A dark shadow seems to detach itself from your body, swiftly dissipating into the air.
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves you.
The air calms down around you.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around you.
You feel less confident than before.
The bright luminescence fades from around you.
The silvery luminescence fades from around you.
The white light leaves you.
The very powerful look leaves you.
The dull golden nimbus fades from around you.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
The powerful look leaves you.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

~daid (player of Kaldonis)

PS: What's a voidling, besides of course a can of whop-ass?
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/05/2014 01:13 PM CST
>PS: What's a voidling, besides of course a can of whop...

I'm going with darkling variant.
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/05/2014 01:16 PM CST
>PS: What's a voidling, besides of course a can of whop-ass?

I don't know, but I want one!
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/05/2014 03:34 PM CST
It would sure be cool if sorcerers could summon, like once a day, a combat related demon like those guys. Make it not give the sorcerer exp when killed to avoid exploits and set it to attack anything and everything. It could be useful in starting trouble or even fighting invasions (as it would attack creatures too). Sort of the more demonic version of a meteor swarm.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/06/2014 10:42 AM CST
It's called 750 - Major Demon Summoning, and it's been discussed by us sorcerers for (literally) decades. In the current dev climate, I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll see it. It would also be really out of character with the design biases toward sorcerer's in the last 10 years, which seems to be terrified of giving us anything really buff despite lavishing grossly overpowered spells (e.g. 1106) on other classes.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/06/2014 12:48 PM CST
This makes me happy. I recommended sentient void creatures as a new creature idea long, long ago (probably pre-GS4). I'm just happy they exist, regardless of where they end up in relation to sorcery.
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/06/2014 12:50 PM CST
They nerfed 1106 a few months ago.
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/06/2014 12:51 PM CST
>> They nerfed 1106 a few months ago.

It really wasn't all that big of an adjustment to the spell.

-- Robert
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/07/2014 08:08 AM CST
>It's called 750 - Major Demon Summoning

I am aware of the basic history of this proposed spell. Maybe what I've posted is called "Major Summoning" although I am doubtful. Let me emphasize firstly that I posted primarily with a sense of irony and amusement and only a hint of complaint. However, as I reply to this comment, I must delve into the aspect which did bother me fundamentally, and I believe to have been a poorly considered design choice for this invasion (although this somewhat remains to be seen).

Minor Demons are part of the Lesser Demons, but Lesser Demons are not limited to Minor Demons. I'm actually not very clear what Major Demons are, beside something extremely powerful. In any case, semantically I'm confused if "Minor" Summoning means "Minor (Demon) Summoning" or "Minor (version of Demonic) Summoning." The implication to me is that "Major Summoning" is "Major (Demon) Summoning" and not like "Major(ly cool demonic) Summoning." Either way, the title of my post was certainly meant to point out how we can already summon minor demons, and imps are minor demons, so there's no reason at all we cannot already summon these imps with 725. Of course, I'm still not clear precisely what a "voidling" is (although there was speculation here), but it certainly sounds like a minor demon, and the idea of a Shien is credible. These minor demons are more powerful than the only known Lesser Demon which is not a Minor Demon (abyran'ra), at least offensively. Indeed, a bolt AS like that is definitely more powerful than most found in the Elanthian plane!

Even in the case that "Major Summoning" somehow does not make any reference at all to the demons actually summoned, what would be major about it? If we can summon and control minor demons such as imps, it should make absolutely no difference at all what we ask the imps to do. Indeed, I would actually imagine that some minor demons would more happily act violently due to their poor mood after being summoned than carrying an eyeball or guarding my pockets.

Naturally, my intuition is that having the existing 725 allow us to summon and control minor demons such as the ones which savagely owned me would be severely unbalanced and out of all proportion. I am also not at all bothered by getting so swiftly murdered during an invasion. What bothers me is the sheer raw physical power exhibited by minor demons itself. Now, perhaps these minor demons had their attack prowess enhanced by some external force, but this sounds somewhat like a catch-all excuse.

It felt a lot more like, "We want powerful demons for our invasion, but they've not been designed or named yet, so we'll just take existing demons and buff them beyond all reason." Even if there are a lot of loose ends to work out specifically on the spell Major Summoning, it would be nice if there were more lesser demons than abyran'ra. After all, I find it perplexing that failures of Planar Shift consistently summon not just an entity from the same plane, but the exact same species. If this is anything other than a failure of game design to flesh out demonic planes, then Planar Shift should literally itself have the capacity to unlock intentionally summoning abyran'ra (even if they couldn't be controlled -- which would make a certain amount of sense if they are being summoned by Planar Shift which might not include the right rituals to control demons).

Also, as I suspect Major Demons will rarely, if ever, be brought into Elanthia, maybe the "slated" 750 spell should be tentatively called Lesser Summoning.

This issue should not be considered as a serious criticism to the overall storyline presently underway. However, I feel it is a valid criticism of what I consider to be an oversight in consideration of the existing demonic hierarchy and spells.

Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/07/2014 08:11 AM CST
>These minor demons are more powerful than the only known Lesser Demon which is not a Minor Demon (abyran'ra), at least offensively.

Woops. This language always tricks me up by accident. Totally omit the part about "which is not a Minor Demon"...

Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/07/2014 09:04 AM CST
In GS, major > lesser > minor. Spell 725 is limited to minor demons. We cannot summon lesser demons, except by accident (abyran'ra) with spell 740, usually at the cost of the Sorcerer's life. So far as I know, all demons we've previously seen in invasions, fearsome though they were, were lesser demons.

See http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Demon
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/07/2014 10:40 AM CST
You'd really have to dig through the old forum discussions, but I think major demons include things that have appeared in game in invasions etc. They would be something so powerful that numerous capped characters with proper equipment would be needed to kill them. You might perhaps be thinking of the Ur-demons? Those were purported to be as powerful as the Arkati. Then again, it's quite possible that no serious continuum has been established for determining a demon as 'lesser' or 'major'. Maybe someone remembers a GM post that I don't?

Player of Kilshaar
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/07/2014 02:32 PM CST
I guess I'm writing too much text and no one is reading it.

>In GS, major > lesser > minor. Spell 725 is limited to minor demons. We cannot summon lesser demons, except by accident (abyran'ra) with spell 740, usually at the cost of the Sorcerer's life. So far as I know, all demons we've previously seen in invasions, fearsome though they were, were lesser demons.

>See http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Demon

Unfortunately you are simplifying this, and the KP article linked is inaccurate (until I'm about to edit it). See http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Minor_demon

The equation should say "major > lesser >= minor" because minor demons ARE lesser demons. (Sorry, I made one post confusing even myself, because this naming scheme is quite quaint.)

Anyway, this is kind of straying from my point, so I'll summarize it.

Quoting http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Imp

"The imp is a demon archetype which originates from the Grik'tyr valence. It is not known to have any subtypes. It is classified as a minor demon"

Title of thread: "I want minor demons...like that"

Part of my original log:
>A small dusky six-clawed imp hurls a roaring ball of fire at you!
>AS: +722 vs DS: +478 with AvD: +70 + d100 roll: +30 = +344

See the contradiction here? Player summoned minor demon are fiddle sticks. But here we have GM made minor demons running around with bolt ASes higher than most capped players with enhancives. My interest to post is largely a tongue-in-cheek joke, but seriously, these creatures should definitely not have been minor demons in my opinion.

Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/07/2014 03:27 PM CST
I tried to expand and improve the KP general Demon article: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Demon

For anyone who doesn't have editing access, feel free to offer feedback here, and I'll see what additional changes I can make.

Maybe if they ever release other kinds of demons accessible to players, someone will have the insight to overhaul the classification scheme. In English, 'major' is contrasted with 'minor', and 'greater' is contrasted with 'lesser'. But demons, they are chaotic; so chaotic they defy common sense of the English language! They are divided into Major and Lesser! But there's Minor demons too -- they're also Lesser, but not all of them -- they have no names, and are also exclusively called lesser! Yaaaaaaay.

From now on, every time I summon demons, I'm going to have the most awful song ever produced stuck in my head, by none other than Lesser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXcDw3SCuGk (chaotic enough for you?)

Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/07/2014 07:37 PM CST
<<<See the contradiction here? Player summoned minor demon are fiddle sticks. But here we have GM made minor demons running around with bolt ASes higher than most capped players with enhancives. My interest to post is largely a tongue-in-cheek joke, but seriously, these creatures should definitely not have been minor demons in my opinion.>>>

From this, all we really know is that some imps appear to be lesser demons. Most, as we know, are minor demons. It doesn't necessarily stand to reason that minor demons are therefore a subcategory of lesser demons. They are still separate categories, in spite of the fact that some imps are one, and some the other.

That said, the "six-clawed imps" recently encountered do not appear consistent with the known lore and research found in the Enchiridion Valentia. There are two possible angles to this. One, the GMs who used them simply weren't aware of the complex intricacies of the Grik'Tyr valence, and thus created demons inconsistent with known lore. Or, two, the GMs have introduced something completely new and previously unknown, that may change the way we understand the valences.

I don't believe it was a mistake. I think we're seeing something that perhaps hasn't been seen since the days of Despana. It may change our understanding of demons. After all, as comprehensive as the Enchiridion may appear, there's nothing to prove it is without fault or error. The observations of the authors was incomplete, and the planes are much, much more expansive than a few pages in a book could possibly encapsulate. Although the researchers' findings on imps (as one example) may have given us great insight into the Grik'tyr valence, it is now evident there is much more to these creatures than we first thought. Clearly our limited power and understanding allows us only to summon and control the minor versions of these beings, and that is probably for the best. Perhaps one day, as a result of our recent experiences, we might learn how to control the lesser versions, as well. I think the appearance of these formidable new foes is cause for considerable hope, in spite of their immediate threat.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/08/2014 09:55 AM CST
Third option: not every imp is a demon?

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/08/2014 12:38 PM CST
>Third option: not every imp is a demon?

Let's just delete all game lore articles then, if we're going to casually ignore it whenever we want.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/08/2014 12:42 PM CST
<<<Third option: not every imp is a demon?>>>

This then begs the question, what makes an imp an imp? There must be some common, defining characteristic, or the word has no meaning. We have been led to believe the definition of an "imp" is a being with shape-changing characteristics that comes from the Grik'tyr valence. Now, if the creatures that attacked are not demons from the Grik'tyr valence, but are still imps...I'd like to know what an "imp" actually is? What are the defining qualities of an imp?

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/08/2014 12:50 PM CST

<<<Third option: not every imp is a demon?>>>

Perhaps an illusion?
Re: I want minor demons...like that 01/08/2014 02:37 PM CST
>From this, all we really know is that some imps appear to be lesser demons. Most, as we know, are minor demons. It doesn't necessarily stand to reason that minor demons are therefore a subcategory of lesser demons. They are still separate categories, in spite of the fact that some imps are one, and some the other.

This is a nice and thoughtful reply. The thing I had noticed when I was working on the KP article trying to write it in a coherent fashion, is that these categorizations are externally applied by sorcerers to entirely unrelated beings from different dimensions, and effectively rank them according to their raw power. We just impose this on them, and it has little to do with their nature. Indeed, I heard these invasion demons were relatively weak defensively, and it was just their offensive power that was unusual.

It kind of reminds me of biology and how actually the concept of a species is not so well defined, and by my own personal feeling, really does not exist. Great examples of this are things like ring species. Similarly to this case, it's essentially a false construct devised to simplify our understanding of nature, which is generally a very useful construct, but may not always be correct.

>>Third option: not every imp is a demon?

>Let's just delete all game lore articles then, if we're going to casually ignore it whenever we want.

Still I am inclined to agree with this point as well. As I said in one of my earlier posts, the offensive power might not be innate to these imps, but it felt like a catch-all solution.

I'm definitely intrigued here, and I don't stipulate that the GMs have made a mistake. I think it's definitely fair to observe the apparent contradiction. And beg to be able to summon those kinds of imps, just for the amusement factor. If it was done intentionally this way for a specific reason, it will be really interesting to see what happens. But, until I see otherwise, I will use Occam's razor, and the simplest explanation is a blind mistake disregarding lore.