On the Nature of Valences 04/12/2013 07:34 PM CDT
It was quite a surprise to find that upon my return to the diaspora from Ta’Faendryl that the sorcerous community was in a state of activity I had not previously seen outside of my home. Inspiration struck me to write down some of my theories on the nature of valences. I am no more an authority on the nature of reality than any other and so I entrust that others will approach my writings with a mind open to be expanded. A closed mind has no place in discovering the truth that hides behind all.

On The Nature of Valences

The Valences known through the Enchiridion Valentia are Grik’Tyr, Shien’Tyr, Lorae’Tyr and of course our own. Each of them share many characteristics with our home valence such as breathable air, the indeterminable force that pushes us down towards the ground and the pieces of matter that make up the world. Upon my first reading I was startled by the differences between them but now many years later I find myself more surprised at the similarities. I have developed a theory that touches upon the why of this fact.
Let us imagine we are standing on a perfectly straight line. To our own perspective we are the origin point. In order to look ahead or behind on the line our own viewpoint must be taken first into account. I imagine our own valence and the laws of reality that govern it to be sitting on a similar line. Not a single one, however, but countless many lines that lead outward from what we perceive to be the point of origin. If we look at the differences of the known valences such as the darkness of Shien’tyr, the dryness of Grik’Tyr and the time fluxuation of Lorae’Tyr we can imagine three such lines going forth from our origin. In this simplified example the three valences are each one step removed from our own on a line derivative of their main difference.

Now the question comes, what is further down the line? I can only posit my own theories but it is an interesting thought experiment. If we ventured a step further down the path of Grik’Tyr to the next on the line might moisture be removed from everything? The very air made unbreathable to us. Another step down the line perhaps the very idea of dryness has a sentience and is the predominant form of so called life. If we look down the line created by Shien’Tyr we can see a place where instead of ground beneath us there is only darkness, a place that could only bring horror to a mind native to our valence as an endless fall through an alien void.

Of special note is Lorae’Tyr. It is possible that this may already be more than one step removed from our own valence due to the extremity of the fluxuations observed, or that we consider the stability of time of such importance in our reality that this valence seems so alien and threatening. The mind strains to grasp the idea of a valence further away, where time is so thin or even does not exist at all.
Would a Sorcerer be able to survive discovery of these more alien vistas? So far the answer is a resounding no. Moreover, I believe that such discoveries may have already occurred, perhaps many times, but not a soul has survived the contact. As this viewpoint is but one of many on the nature of the valences, we have no universal set of precautions before attempting discovery. It is worth noting that even if we did it may not avail us. How can one prepare for the unthinkable?

I impress upon my fellow Sorcerors that this is our duty and call.

Varethnar Vhintreth Faendryl, Clerisy.
Re: On the Nature of Valences 04/15/2013 02:18 PM CDT
Thank you for these important observations, Varethnar. There is wisdom in developing more advanced techniques for scrying or scouting a valence prior to entry. It is also advisable for sorcerers to bend their knowledge of both the elemental and spiritual spheres toward more potent protective magics. There is nothing, in theory, preventing us from bringing several hours worth of breathable air into an unfriendly valence.

This said, many of the major advances in demonology are the result of potentially deadly accidents. We owe these accidents, both the valuable and unhappy, to the enormous gaps in our knowledge and the highly competitive culture of Faendryl society. Note, for instance, that mandatory registration of first contact in the Enchiridion Valentia is a precautionary measure that ultimately encourages glory-seeking sorcerers to experiment with reckless abandon. New precautionary measures may protect sorcerers but at what cost to innovation? The difficultly lies in finding the correct balance and it is fortunate that this responsibility rests with the magistrate and summoners of the basilica. These are capable hands indeed.

Silvean Rashere