Commentary on the Enchiridion Valentia 03/19/2013 12:16 PM CDT
Introduction

In the interest of increasing public discussion of the Enchiridion, I have decided to release some of my private notes on the portion of the text dealing with Lorae'Tyr. These notes are the result of a reflective practice I have developed over the past year. First, I purchased a sheaf of oversized paper with the middle cut out so that the Enchiridion fits inside. This provides new margins for recording immediate observations and questions. Second, I have twice copied the Enchiridion out by hand onto strips of paper that can be easily re-arranged. This allows me to approach the text in new ways and ultimately I have created a copy for study wherein the original text is spliced together with my commentary.

Concerning the Lorae'Tyr Ban

"Travel to Lorae'Tyr is forbidden by the Basilica. The seven sorcerers still present on this valence should be brought, upon their return, to the Basilica for questioning immediately. These sorcerers are: Levianthia Sherula, Wintherian Lontriel, Mleriand Lontriel, Finmielle Thenryl, Chournd Dralhavaen, Gerphend Yourliand, and Uritheam Boltreade. Any sorcerer attempting to circumvent Shieltine's Ward on Lorae'Tyr will be executed."

Reflection on the Enchiridion is a useful occupation but significant gains in knowledge can only be achieved through the direct observation of a valence. By imposing the death penalty on those attempting to enter Lorae'Tyr, the progress of knowledge has been arrested. Keen minds loathe a vacuum, however, and speculation on Lorae'Tyr is rampant. I look forward to a time when sorcerers will bring back first-hand accounts of the valence to compare against my own suspicions.

It is important to note that I am in full agreement with the wisdom of the Patriarch in placing a ban upon Lorae'Tyr. The devastating, history-shifting power of sorcery has been proven by Laurentiu, at Maelshyve and in Ta'Ashrim. In these three cases overwhelming power was unleashed by foolishness, necessity, and misfortune respectively. Just as the Faendryl once discovered the full destructive potential of current sorcerous knowledge, research into the unusual properties of Lorae'Tyr may one day shift from abstract rumination to practical horror. This may be an inevitable development but it is important to keep the secrets of Lorae'Tyr contained for as long as possible. The barrier serves the interests of Faendryl security and protects the whole of the world.

Temporal Instability

"Traveling to this valence for even a short period of time can result in the loss of years on Elanthia. While within the valence, sorcerers have observed normal activity, such as foliage growth or geological decay, occur at varying rates, sometimes shifting speeds even as the sorcerer watched. The passage of time most certainly exists on Lorae'Tyr, but whether it is relevant to the valence's functioning at all is unclear."

I wonder when we shall gain a better understanding of this phenomenon? It is my hope that the basilica is engaged in some controlled research into these temporal oddities. More information on the relationship between the local flora and fauna of Lorae'Tyr and the passage of time is needed. It also seem advisable to bring foreign entities into the valence from Elanthia for observation, e.g. plants at different stages of growth, animals, a human infant.

While we are accustomed to thinking of the passage of time as a straight line, the example of Lorae'Tyr prompts me to wonder if we should think instead of a spiral. In this way the currents of time are carrying us along in a curved line that only seems straight. Certain elemental magics in Elanthia allow one to skip backward in time by creating a straight-line shortcut between the current point of the curve and a nearby previous point. This passage never plunges backward along the curve but skips outside of it instead. Lorae'Tyr allows for dramatic movement up and down the rings of the spiral.

Familiar Forms

"I was startled to spy what I thought was a wingstem. It was not the expected pale green, but deep indigo, and the leaves were deformed into diamond shapes that curled along the flat edges. The flowers were dark violet and although I swear it was wingstem, the differences in hue and shape gave me pause."

Reports indicate that both the plants of Lorae'Tyr and the metals observed in the verlok are similar if not identical to familiar Elanthian forms. Against theories arguing for a passage of these forms from one valence to another, I prefer to believe that there are common metaphysical and physical principles underlying all valences. There is nothing in any valence discovered thus far that has persuaded me to reconsider the fundamental distinction between elemental and spiritual magics. I continue to believe, of course, that the notion of a "mental sphere" of magic is nonsensical.

It will be some time until we have explored enough valences in a comparative fashion that will bring us closer to these fundamental principles I allude to. It is often the most basic truths that prove hardest to grasp but we have a responsibility to continue our work in this regard.

Verlok

I have a fondness for the verlok -- noisy and clever things. The Enchiridion includes six "commonly advanced theories" of their origin. Among these is the argument that verlok are "natural creatures of Lorae'Tyr, evolving from substances already available on the plane." This is a possibility and I wonder if this evolution was ultimately a calculated process on their own part. By this I mean, did the verlok somehow choose to adopt their metal form at a time in their past when they were wholly organic? Perhaps they continue to be born as organic entities that are then changed into the forms we have encountered so far. Gnomish technology may move in this direction one day but they will discover that changing form without changing substance is futile. I am also reminded of the unsavory popularity of piercings and tattoos that is sweeping Elanith.

Abyran

I suspect their snake worship is somehow related to their experience of the passage of time on Lorae'Tyr. This may confirm my spiral theory advanced above. It is important that sorcerers harvest all of their knowledge concerning the temporal geography of Lorae'Tyr so that we can avoid a lengthy trial and error process. Maps of Lorae'Tyr should take careful note of Abyran temples since they undoubtedly reflect an intuitive understanding of the ebb and flow of power on the valence.

Igaesha

More research needs to be done on the communicative patterns of the Igaesha. It may be possible for a sorcerer to communicate with the igaesha through the use of flashing lights or colored smoke if we can discern their own processes. This work carries military applications if it culminates in the ability to reliably direct enormous clouds of acid across a battlefield.

Grantris

"I felt a backlash of spiritual essence that left me prone. Dimerian told me after I recovered from the effect that the grantris appeared to re-open the veil itself and disappeared."

To pierce the veil without the use of foci is a remarkable thing indeed. I often think on the relationship between sorcery and personal transcendence. It seems to me that moving through our reliance on summoning circles and the like toward a natural ability to step through the veil at will is one step along this path. In the same way that young men and women travel from one city to another in search of themselves, we step into new worlds.

Silvean Rashere
Re: Commentary on the Enchiridion Valentia 03/20/2013 05:59 PM CDT

Given the recent drive towards expanding understanding and knowledge of the Enchiridion, developing more rigor as regards the approach to summoning is highly necessary. One applauds all such efforts and will do One's part to advance them.

Herein, One will first describe and review some basic Magic facts that are relevant to the case, and then advance a theory towards an explanation of the nature of the valiances which Sorcerers have so far discovered based on these facts. Finally, one will then describe what applications this theory might have.

Towards a Unified Theory of the Valences

The existence of Prime Elemental Planes which are the source of the Elements which form the world is well known and well established. The most untutored Wizard can tell you that these Elemental Planes represent the very essence of one of the fundamental forces that drives the plane we inhabit, traditionally called the Prime Material Plane. So, there is a Plane of Fire, if you will, and all fire in our plane is in some sense connected to this plane and derives energy from it.

Our Plane is what results from the joining of the 4 Prime Elemental Planes along with the Spiritual Plane and (if the existence of such is to be admitted) the Mental Plane. (this text does not deal with the existence or not of such a Mental Plane, its existence or lack thereof is irrelevant to the present discussion, so we will simply grant that it might exist).

These Planes overlap, join, push into each other, and generally intermingle to various degrees. For example, beasts are often altered by the presence of nodes of a particular elemental power which forms and changes them.

Now, let us note a few things.

Firstly, that beings have properties appropriate to the Plane from which they originate.

Second, being infused by the power from another plane nonetheless maintain the primary characteristics of the plane they originate from.

Thus, a fire lit here has some of the qualities of fire from the prime elemental plane, but it is not the pure thing, it is fire, rather than Fire. It can be extinguished. A Fire Elemental, likewise, takes on the shape of flame, but this shape moves in a way that follows the rules of movement for a being rather than the movement of fire per se. They possess some of the qualities of "Fire" as found on the Prime Elemental Plane of the same name, but modified in one way or another by their interaction with our world and the way it works.

Now, here comes the theory.

One referred to the the plane we exist on as the Prime Material Plane, but there is, in fact, little basis for this idea. To make this statement is much like a villager observing the customs of their village and assuming that such customs are fundamental universal rules of civilization.
What if our Plane is but one of many? What if there are any number of planes, each formed by a particular configuration of the interaction of the various Elemental Planes? In this sense, any particular Plane could be likened to a climate, an area shaped as it is because of the interaction of the geography of the magical forces which shaped it.
If this is true, then this explains, in the first case, why other valiance exist: they result out of the interaction of the various fundamental magical forces which underlie the world and form it, much as our plane did. The plane behaves in a way appropriate to its "location" relative to these forces.
When we use Magic, we are drawing from the fundamental forces which shape the world, when we travel to valiances, we are traveling to places which are shaped by those very forces.

Now, to the application. Let us take the case of Lorae'Tyr. Let us suppose that much as their is a Prime Elemental Plane of Fire, that there is a Prime Plane of Time. Time is clearly one of the fundamental forces of the universe, and it is clear that we can draw on such forces if, for example, we look at the Haste spell.

Lorae'Tyr is then a place that, relative to our plane is "closer" to the Plane of Time, and thus exhibits a closer relationship to the fundamental essence of Time itself. Much as Planes of Fire, Water, etc hold enough power within their own Planes to make everything else bow beneath them so, too, does the Plane of Time.

Now, let us note a few things. Before travel to this plane was forbidden, all known instances of travels going there and then returning here involved travelers skipping forward in time relative to when they left. There is no instance that we know of wherein a traveler departed to Lorae'Tyr, spend any amount of perceived "time" there, and then returned before they left. Which is fortunate, as this might give rise to any number of potential paradoxes.

But the question arises, why is this the case? And the answer is likewise simple. As travelers from a Plane wherein Time flies as an Arrow in one direction, we continue to exhibit this property when present in Lorae'Tyr. Our perceptions of the plane are molded by the Plane itself, and the amount of "time" we spend there relative to our own is uncertain, but the fact remains that when we return we return in "the future" because that is the only behavior which beings from our plane can exhibit. We are modified by the forces of the plane and yet retain our fundamental essence, just as the elementals do.

This theory has the potential benefit of explaining other elements of what is confusing to us, such as the presence of herbs we are familiar with but that are in strange forms. Given that herbs result from the fundamental confluence of magical forces from respective fundamental Planes, it is only natural that some designs would be "copied" but also "changed." Given that travel between the valiances is possible, it is not unlikely that beings from our plane or others moved between valainces and then changed into beings more appropriate to that plane.

The Aishan of Shien'Tyr, for example, might have been stranded wolves changed by the fundamental forces of valiance, which, at a guess, would be closer to the Planes of Air and Darkness than our own. Any number of scenarios such as these are possible to explain the various beings in the various valiances.

Given that, a few practical suggestions arise:

First: While the ban on travel to Lorae'Tyr is understandable as a reaction to the initial understanding of the effects of that valiance, we should permit authorized expeditions there once again to learn more. Since, coming from a plane where we can only travel in one direction, we cannot create any potential paradoxes, the only danger is to the travelers themselves: they may or may not return to find all those they know older, gone, dead, etc.

Second: General Magical research in these various valences should occur, to determine if Magic does in fact operate differently on them, which might support this theory.

Third: Beings summoned from this plane should be viewed, in a sense, as unwilling guests in ours. What One means is this: if we suddenly found ourselves summoned there, and then returned here, we might be shaped by our particular knowledge and experiences with the inhabitants there and communicate to others of our kind. This is not to say that what we summon is our equals, but rather that they should be approached with knowledge that they can be the actor as well as the acted upon. Growing confidence and control over the art of summoning has the potential deleterious side effect of thinking of that which is summoned as simply some sort of automaton. The Dog is not equal to his Master, but the wise master keeps in mind how the Dog might behave in response to various approaches.

Aeillien Mandoragan
Re: Commentary on the Enchiridion Valentia 03/21/2013 02:45 PM CDT
>Reports indicate that both the plants of Lorae'Tyr and the metals observed in the verlok are similar if not identical to familiar Elanthian forms. Against theories arguing for a passage of these forms from one valence to another, I prefer to believe that there are common metaphysical and physical principles underlying all valences. There is nothing in any valence discovered thus far that has persuaded me to reconsider the fundamental distinction between elemental and spiritual magics. I continue to believe, of course, that the notion of a "mental sphere" of magic is nonsensical.

To Silvean Rashere,

The assessment that there is an underlying and inherent blueprint for the existance of all valences is a thought provoking one to say the least, and various facts support it, notably, that creatures from three different valences all have identical abilities to infuse chaos into the surroundings and, as a result, break sanctuaries. However, the idea that these similarities are entirely fundamental, and not a result of inter-valential interaction has been disproven. A number of metal alloys, mithglin and invar most notably, have been found as the base metal for various verlok heaps. While a baseline metaphysical guideline would allow for identical metals to form, these metals are the result of a precise formula, invented and perfected by native Elanthian races, and by sentient hands. While similar alloys could be independently researched, it is unlikely that the exact chemical makeup of alloys such as invar would be made so precisely by convenience. The presence of these metals indicates some manner of interaction.

As an aside, the existance of these alloys, along with enchanted drake and feras heaps, indicates that while the verlok may be an original evolution, the metal heaps they inhabit are not necessarily so.

Your insights have been interesting otherwise.

- Kastrel Tyraegen Faendryl

>"Walkar says, "Yes, too many kings never work. Especially when there's only one throne. It's a wicked game."
>Shameless plug.
Re: Commentary on the Enchiridion Valentia 03/28/2013 10:29 AM CDT
Thank you, Aeillien and Kastrel, for your response. I look forward to additional discussion in person. It is important that you and others watching remain aware that no other profession or guild has minds like ours. If Aeillien is right about fundamental forces shaping a plane, then I wonder if Elanthia is the exemplar of all dullness. Our sorcerous brothers and sisters form the lone bulwark against vast troll-like hordes of ignorance and banality. Oh what times. Oh what customs.

You will do well to remember, ours is power and beauty. Theirs is the noisy bleating of roltons. And let all their prancing, peacock gods bear witness, it is a miracle indeed that I have not carved out those tongues that rob me of peace.

Silvean Rashere
Re: Commentary on the Enchiridion Valentia 03/28/2013 01:44 PM CDT
You receive +5 points for quoting Cicero ICly.

Dave, Brandain's Latinist Bard