Minor Summoning: Demon Specific Rune fix 01/22/2013 09:49 PM CST
Given the upcoming Sorcery lectures, we've recently found out that a significant number of the theoretical uncommon runes simply don't exist, first and foremost being the Verlok subtypes.

This includes:
Verlok'ar
Verlok'asha
Verlok'cina
Grik'trak
Grik'tval
Grik'pwal
Grik'mlar
And the following Igaesha subtypes: haze, rouk, brume, haar, murk, nyle, mist, smoke, vapor, and fog

There is no reason why these should not be available . . . if it is a question of "usefulness", then . . .

1. Verlok'ar is the only demon specific other than Abyran'sa that has a mechanical benefit.
2. There is no quantifiable measure for the usefulness of an RP tool. If someone wants to RP an OCD obsession with numbers and use a specific subtype of Grik for it, then they should be able to. I want Verlok'cina. There is no mechanical benefit to that rune, but it is important to me as an RP tool. That is all the use that should ever be needed.
3. If "useless" demon specific runes are a factor in deciding if they should exist or not, then why do Darkling/Shadowling/Abyran'a exist? Like all demon specific runes, they require both A) expenditure of a rare teaching and B) A higher amount of Demonology lore.

This is not an expansion or upgrade to the 725 system. This is the logical progression of how 725 should always have worked in the first place. Its the equivalent of Call Familiar simply NOT HAVING fire or water wyrdlings, with no explanation. It is simply such a rarely used aspect of the spell (uncommon runes, that is) that it was never addressed until now. This is not an expansion, but simply a completion of part of this spell which has gone unfinished for a decade.

Getting these added by Friday is probably impossible, so I don't expect anything like that. Maybe even by the March meeting. But these lectures will be going on every other month all year, and that is significant time to expand the mechanical listing of possible runes. Maybe I am in the minority, but I think there are others out there who would want this, especially for Verlok variants. Anyone who is in support of this addition, please post your thoughts as well!

>Barnom says, "Like sage and nutmeg."
Re: Minor Summoning: Demon Specific Rune fix 01/24/2013 03:28 PM CST
I think it would be great as RP tools. it would be nice to be able to know "oh that couldn't be Sorcerer's demon...he only uses the Grik'mlar and the Nyle"

that with stackable demon illusion durations would give people more incentive to summon demons and learn illusions.

~Moredin
Re: Minor Summoning: Demon Specific Rune fix 01/24/2013 04:44 PM CST
>I think it would be great as RP tools. it would be nice to be able to know "oh that couldn't be Sorcerer's demon...he only uses the Grik'mlar and the Nyle"

Definitely.

On another level, I wish that all of the demons had demon specific variants, and that further, they all had mechanical variations. Maybe a subtype of grantris that can hold more items, for instance. Minor Summoning is an excellent platform for variation and depth like this, but its just not being taken advantage of.

>Barnom says, "Like sage and nutmeg."