Planar Shift Updates 04/12/2018 06:27 AM CDT
I have four takeaways relating to the Phase 2 transportation updates as they relate to spell 740:

(1) It is important to understand "realms" and "zones" for all of the Phase 2 spell updates, including 740. Sorcerers have been dealing with "realms" for many years, so we are better positioned than most to understand those issues. It is time we devote more thought to the meaning of room patterns. I am referring to the gylphs, runes, signs, symbols and sigils that we record in our Planar Shift books.

(2) If you have 75 or more demonology ranks, then you can now use cheap chalk to open an intER-realm intRA-zone rift, but the probability of failure is high. It starts at 34% with 75 demonology ranks and reduces to 1% at 174 ranks.

(3) If you have 75 or more demonology ranks, then you can use the chalkless method to rift intER-realm intRA-zone. You will be surprised to learn someone with fewer than 174 demonology ranks has a greater probability of success (you reach the minimum 2% failure rate at 75 demonology ranks) than someone using 740 with cheap chalk.

(4) In my opinion, this change, by itself, is not a good reason to alter your training plan, unless you have nearly 75 ranks and want to reach that threshold.

Two matters that need to be tested, when I get around to it, unless one of you tries it first:

(i) How do animated people interact with intER-realm intRA-zone rifting? My recollection is that, at least prior to this change, you could not rift an animated person intER-realm.

(ii) Does using expensive chalk for intER-realm intRA-zone travel still instantly transport the Sorcerer without opening a rift through which the Sorcerer can take other people?
Re: Planar Shift Updates 04/12/2018 09:25 AM CDT
<(2) If you have 75 or more demonology ranks, then you can now use cheap chalk to open an intER-realm intRA-zone rift, but the probability of failure is high. It starts at 34% with 75 demonology ranks and reduces to 1% at 174 ranks.>

Honestly, I don't see myself ever using rough chalk for traveling between realms and don't understand why they implemented functionality without gold rings to any of the other transport spells. At least sorcerers have a chance of getting the penalties for cheap chalk down to reasonable levels if they don't care about Necro Lore advantages (I'm not one of them, but I understand there are others that do quite well without any Necro Lore). With the exception of 1620, getting the success chance of any of the other TP spell's non-gold ring interzone functionality to manageable levels requires investments that are either unattainable or force one to miss out on key features that are the reason for choosing that profession.

Only a pocket enchanter is going to be able to get the needed water lore for 930, no one in their right mind is getting over 100 blessings ranks for 225 (or any other reason), clerics have two other lores that give them important benefits, Bards can't even go beyond 1x in elemental lore so they'll always have at least a 67/68% chance of getting intercepted without a gold ring (unless they heavily invest in enhansives and even then the chance is high)....

<(ii) Does using expensive chalk for intER-realm intRA-zone travel still instantly transport the Sorcerer without opening a rift through which the Sorcerer can take other people?>

I haven't seen anything even hinting that travel with the expensive chalk has changed at all, so I'd say "yes" to this.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.