705 12/20/2017 09:24 AM CST
So I was playing around with the bolt version of 705 yesterday and I must say I was really disappointed in it even though I had low expectations to begin with. Kind of like when I tested Balefire.

My sorcerer is 2x in SA and 72 ranks in necro lore and it still didn't do as much damage as just CASTing it does against any critter I tried it on. It even seemed lackluster compared to what my empath and cleric can do waving a gold wand with no fire lore at critters resistant to fire. Has anyone found a situation where the bolt version would be preferable to the CS version or was this just added to appease those confused sorcerers that think they're wizards?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 705 12/20/2017 09:47 AM CST
It depends on the creature too. You may come across a creature with a high TD but their bolt DS could be crap. So those situations you would switch over to the bolt version. Good example of where this could happen is the DR arena.
Re: 705 12/20/2017 09:49 AM CST
Also, sounds like you are post cap already. Most Sorcerers have way more Sorcerer ranks than anything else. This effectively makes your CS really high. But at lower lvls, you could do a SA build and use 705 bolt as your damage is based on SA instead of your spell ranks overall. That would likely be the other viable use for it as a bolt spell. Post-cap, due to typical spell ranks a sorcerer has you'll likely always use the CS version.
Re: 705 12/20/2017 10:50 AM CST
<Also, sounds like you are post cap already.>

Ha! 20+ years in GS and I've never capped any of my characters. My sorcerer is my second highest level character at level 72.

<Most Sorcerers have way more Sorcerer ranks than anything else. This effectively makes your CS really high.>

At my level +20, my ranks in the Sorcerer circle are prolly a bit low compared to other sorcerers of the same level, but I decided to get 130 (SEEKING, RETURN, 740, and gold rings somehow weren't enough) and 60 ranks in minor elemental spells (which I'm still working on) before going above that. I can ward like level and slightly above without fail, but only just. (for those tempted to criticize, I have no problems killing at the moment, it's surviving maneuvers that I'm tossing TPs and silvers at currently, hence my interest in earth lore in the other folder)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 705 12/20/2017 11:19 AM CST

>it's surviving maneuvers that I'm tossing TPs and silvers at currently

what is your CON bonus? Physical Fitness ranks? Perception? Are you making use of Phase for SMR defense? Do you have Demon lore? Are you phasing containers to stay unencumbered? I think Demon Lore is a better investment than any elemental lore, especially pre-cap. I'm over 2x post-cap and have 1 rank of Water to humor myself while popping boxes. I capped w/ almost 1x both Necro and Demon. I plan to go up in Blessings before anything elemental.
Re: 705 12/20/2017 12:12 PM CST
<You may come across a creature with a high TD but their bolt DS could be crap. So those situations you would switch over to the bolt version. Good example of where this could happen is the DR arena.>

Got side-tracked and forgot about this in my previous post.

I still think I would prefer 111, 118, or wizard wands over the bolt version of 705 in that situation.

I'm not familiar with the DR arena, but I guess I can think of a couple critters outside pay events (jungle troll chieftains, hisskra shaman, and moor witches) that are difficult to ward and don't either carry a runestaff or wear heavy armor... but even those are susceptible enough to 719 that it's worth failing to ward them 1/4 of the time even with its high mana cost.

<what is your CON bonus? Physical Fitness ranks? Perception? Are you making use of Phase for SMR defense? Do you have Demon lore? Are you phasing containers to stay unencumbered? I think Demon Lore is a better investment than any elemental lore, especially pre-cap.>

0 (yes, I know about fixstat potions, not doing that til cap if then), full 1x in both PF and Perception, yes, 22 ranks, 509 and disks are far less hassle then phasing boxes...esp since I'm not going to be able to get enough Demonology to phase more then half my boxes pre-cap without going below 1x in Necromancy

Between levels 30ish and 64ish it was uncommon for me to find boxes that weigh less then 26 lbs, meaning I wasn't going to be phasing most boxes I found anyway. Towards the end of that time 735 was released and since then 716 and 711 became hugely useful to me. So, I've never had a period where I felt Demon ranks outweighed the usefulness of Necro lore when considering everything together even though Demon might be superior for maneuver defense. I also tend to travel light (for a sorcerer) anyway and rarely get above the uncomfortable message with the lousy treasure where I hunt now (yetis, dwellers, minotaurs)

Starchitin