Curse bug? 01/22/2017 09:58 PM CST
Something doesn't seem right with curse. I've done this with lockpicks, fluff rings, gems, and now a wand for testing. It doesn't seem to flare when someone picks up said item, nor sticks to their hand like it used to. See below log and let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's really being dumb?

You remove an aquamarine wand from in your grey paeline cloak.

>
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Curse...
Your spell is ready.

You gesture at an aquamarine wand.
A wisp of brackish blue magic flows from you toward the aquamarine wand. It wraps itself around the wand, swirling momentarily before disappearing within it.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

You drop an aquamarine wand.
>
Dirvy picks up an aquamarine wand.
>
Dirvy put an aquamarine wand in her linen empath's cloak.
>
Dirvy removes an aquamarine wand from in her linen empath's cloak.
>
>

You ask, "Can you drop it?"
>
Dirvy drops an aquamarine wand.
>
>
Dirvy chuckles.

You say, "Useful."

You gaze in wonder at your surroundings.

You ask, "Drop it again?"
>
Dirvy softly says, "It only curses me when I try it give it to you."
>
The volcano, V'Tull, begins a long guttural rumbling. Soon after, a startling hiss accompanies a blast from a nearby steam vent, bathing the area briefly in a haze.
>
>
You pick up an aquamarine wand.
>
>
Dirvy whispers, "For some reason, you are unable to do that."
>
Dirvy's silver bracelet pulses with energy. The pulsing fades and a glimmering gold amulet crested with a jewel-toned dragonfly saewehna remains.
>
>swap
You can't do that. The aquamarine wand sticks to your hand.
>drop wand
>
>
As Dirvy shakes her head, small flakes of ash fall slowly toward the ground.
>
Dirvy softly says, "Can't give it to her either."
>
>nod
You nod.
>
Dirvy softly says, "I thought it might be an issue with stow."
>
You say, "Uncurse it? I want to show that none of the curses work on it for flaring either."
>
Dirvy's unicorn tattoo appears bored with its surroundings.
>
Dirvy softly says, "Because I was stowing it the other night, but I put it in my cloak and stowed it just now, but it did the same."
>
Invoking the power of her patron, Paerdita chants a short prayer...
>
Paerdita gestures at an aquamarine wand.
The holy magic of Paerdita's spell encircles the aquamarine wand, wavers momentarily as it becomes a shade of faint brackish blue, and then dissipates into nothingness with a muffled pop.
>
>
The aquamarine wand suddenly glows with an intensely bright light!
>
>stance off
>
You are now in an offensive stance.
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Curse...
Your spell is ready.
>
A wisp of pure black magic flows from you toward the aquamarine wand. It wraps itself around the wand, swirling momentarily before disappearing within it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
Dirvy offers you an aquamarine wand. Click ACCEPT to accept the offer or DECLINE to decline it. The offer will expire in 30 seconds.
>acce
You accept Dirvy's offer and are now holding an aquamarine wand.
>
Dirvy blinks.
>l at my wand
>
You see nothing unusual.
>swap
You can't do that. The aquamarine wand sticks to your hand.
>
>
Dirvy shrugs.
>stance d
You are now in a defensive stance.
You ask, "Uncurse again?"
>
Paerdita raises a hand while murmuring a soft orison...
>
The holy magic of Paerdita's spell encircles the aquamarine wand, wavers momentarily as it becomes a shade of faint pure black, and then dissipates into nothingness with a muffled pop.
>
>
The aquamarine wand suddenly glows with an intensely bright light!
>
>
You are now in a defensive stance.
>
Your spell is ready.
>
A wisp of sickly green magic flows from you toward the aquamarine wand. It wraps itself around the wand, swirling momentarily before disappearing within it.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Dirvy softly says, "Can't hand it to you."
>
Re: Curse bug? 01/23/2017 10:34 AM CST
It looks like a bug to me.

So far as I know, Cursing items is mostly used these days on gems. Years ago, a few Sorcerers were in the habit of dropping feeble weapons and cursing them where critters roamed. The critter would usually drop its good weapon and pick up the cursed weapon, making the critter less dangerous.
Re: Curse bug? 01/27/2017 09:17 AM CST

Agreed, in this case I was just lazy and didn't feel like grabbing a gem. When tested though, same results on gems.
Re: Curse bug? 02/17/2017 01:58 AM CST
<<So far as I know, Cursing items is mostly used these days on gems. Years ago, a few Sorcerers were in the habit of dropping feeble weapons and cursing them where critters roamed. The critter would usually drop its good weapon and pick up the cursed weapon, making the critter less dangerous. >>

I've always felt that getting injured by a cursed weapon should do something analogous to disease and poison, except it might not dissipate (depending) without a curse removal intervention. It might drain spirit on a player character like when you get hit in the Sheruvian monastery, or even drain statistics like the temporary effects in the Red Forest. It would ideally also cause damage to unholy creatures, but with a backlash hazard like black ora, and open the Graveyard gate as a fellow traveler.

I would also like it if we could sacrifice souls into gems and curse them to make actual undead, but that is a whole other issue and 730 is complicated.
Re: Curse bug? 03/06/2017 03:11 PM CST

Thought I'd give this a friendly bump, would really just like a GM to come in and just say if it's working as intended now or if it's got something wrong with it but it's not quite on the priority list for the moment :/