Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/09/2016 01:39 PM CST
Still a new player... I hit level 15 on my sorcerer and got the invitation to join the guild. Looking at our wiki, doesn't seem we get anything really great... Am I wrong? Can I just not join the guild? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks as always, it's so appreciated! (so much information in this game)
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/09/2016 02:24 PM CST
<Looking at our wiki, doesn't seem we get anything really great... Am I wrong? Can I just not join the guild? What would you guys recommend?>

If the guild skills don't interest you, there's no reason to join the guild. You can still access it and shop in the guild shop without being a member, the only thing you won't have access to is the skills and maybe the summoning chambers (I'm not sure if nonmembers can get into those or not).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/09/2016 03:05 PM CST
Well, I am just overwhelmed with the guild at the moment. Seems like a lot of work too.. I think I will just continue doing what I do. And as I meet other sorcerers ask them what they did and why? I have this itch to join the guild, but I don't want to scratch that itch if its not going to get me anywhere if that makes sense. Thanks again all
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/09/2016 03:12 PM CST

I recommend waiting until level 50 or 60 to start guild work. It is much less painful then (and less to do)
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/09/2016 05:51 PM CST

I appreciate that response! thanks!
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/10/2016 03:53 AM CST
>You can still access it and shop in the guild shop without being a member

The guild shop, yes, but the alchemical shop, no. At least, that was the way for my wizard. But the former shop is the one you'd be more likely to want access to anyway. :)

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/22/2016 03:08 PM CDT

<<I recommend waiting until level 50 or 60 to start guild work. It is much less painful then (and less to do)>>

Is that true for all guilds or just the Sorcerer Guild? Thanks!
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/22/2016 03:10 PM CDT
Naw. I'd not call it a hard line suggestion either. My Sorcerer did the guild at 30-40ish as a start. Rogue's can do their guild at 15th as can Warriors. Wizards might want to be 25-30.
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/22/2016 03:13 PM CDT

Thanks Geijon, I was more curious as to how long one could put it off ;). Is earlier better or it is really just preference?
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/22/2016 03:13 PM CDT

>Is that true for all guilds or just the Sorcerer Guild? Thanks!

The rule is true for all guilds in terms of wait longer to start, do less work, but it is especially true for pure guilds because of the alchemy ingredient gathering necessity, and the Rogue Guild for Lock Mastery box requirements.
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/22/2016 03:18 PM CDT

>My Sorcerer did the guild at 30-40ish as a start.

and how long before you got sick of it and stopped to level because you had get 120-150 points per rank?
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/22/2016 08:49 PM CDT
I had to deactivate because baby boy #2 is coming any day now and on that account I knew I didn't have time for playing him or the paladin. I don't mind saving 17.95 for a while either. I think I had 36 illusion ranks and 30 alchemy. My Wizard got to about 43 alchemy between levels 38-47ish. I didn't have problems with ingredients, but it sure was expensive to buy just the store components. I'd say I got reasonably far for the levels I was at. I got another Wizard to about those ranks at 35-40, but found it was redundant and focused on the younger wizard since she was a pure and my warmage I hunted with.

I'm not discrediting 50th as a suggestion, warriors have a tough time with Warcries, but I mastered that first at about 25th when the guild dropped, as were most of the originals. It wasn't easy and the sorcerer guild poses unique challenges. I think the Wednesday Guild Nights help a good deal, but it doesn't remove some of the growing pains of lower levels. Wiki doesn't mention a stat for illusions, but if you have a slow growing stat for a character that is a valid reason to wait or lack of funds since as mentioned Alchemy, for any of the classes, can drain a million for a handful of ranks no problem.
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/22/2016 09:32 PM CDT

Wednesday nights are most definitely awesome. I stopped for about two years on my cleric bc between that and wiki sanity was a real issue
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 03/24/2016 04:39 AM CDT
For Illusions I surely agree that waiting longer makes it easier, because level and a number of stats directly influence success (and speed reps at low levels without 506 sound really hard about now). On the other hand, I actively wanted to progress and it was just hard to find people to work with, and so here I am nearly capped and just learning demon illusions.

Alchemy seems to be more of a straight-forward system. Besides being assigned training cauldron work, there aren't really skill checks. Sure if you get a bit along in potions, you might prefer 105 as I did and thus require viper fangs. And the sweetfern stalk I used was abundant outside the Marsh Keep, where I'm comfortable to forage with both hands open kneeling. Then again, as a sorcerer or wizard, without 100 ranks of survival and perception, good luck foraging your own stuff!

General alchemy is pretty lax on the "skill check" side of ingredient gathering. Most the stuff can be bought off the tables or foraged somewhere relatively safe, besides killing some trolls. (Green malachite stones are the only exception at all.) Having some first aid or survival to skin successfully will surely help a bit, but even 20 ranks of first aid with a decent dexterity was enough to satisfy me.

I think you can join any time you want to. You can join earlier and get a bit of a start, or wait, or never join at all. Besides some minor points, they are practically all the same and really a matter of your taste more than anything.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 04/27/2016 08:49 PM CDT
>and how long before you got sick of it and stopped to level because you had get 120-150 points per rank?

Is the number of points per rank level based?

I started my sorc in the guild at level 15 and I haven't found it so bad. I mean, I have a ranger to gather ingredients for the sorc, so that makes alchemy easier, but my sorc is definitely progressing reasonably well, even though I'm really only doing guild stuff on guild nights with him (and only about half of that usually because timezones).
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 04/27/2016 08:55 PM CDT

>Is the number of points per rank level based?

it is based on how far you are from the guild wall, which is based on experience thresholds, and how many guild ranks you already have

alchemy came out after I mastered illusions. I had to stop and get 10-20 levels because it was just that bad.
Re: Sorc Guild Questions.... 04/28/2016 11:17 AM CDT
Ah, interesting. Is there a maximum number of points per rank (or a formula somewhere)?