My Delicate Sensibilities 08/29/2014 03:09 PM CDT
>The Training Administrator told you to find a fellow guild member to teach Illusions to.

Is there something we can fix this sentence to? Pretty please?

<3

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: My Delicate Sensibilities 09/11/2014 03:34 AM CDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection

So what?

>The Training Administrator told you to find a fellow guild member whom to which you should teach Illusions.

I'll quote 'Churchill' straight from that wiki article: this is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: My Delicate Sensibilities 09/11/2014 10:08 AM CDT
>So what?

The stranded preposition destroys the natural flow of the sentence. Just because you have terrible taste doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer as well. ;)

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: My Delicate Sensibilities 09/11/2014 11:44 AM CDT
One might at least read the link. It makes a case how this was the opinion of one person and never a rule.

And yeah your taste is terrible. So putting your bad taste against mine shows that...we both have bad taste? Hence, my nice reference to show I'm not alone.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: My Delicate Sensibilities 09/11/2014 02:38 PM CDT
>It makes a case how this was the opinion of one person and never a rule.

Even given the assumption that it's not a rule (honestly, I wasn't aware there was a dispute), the sentence still reads poorly. Just because something isn't technically wrong doesn't mean it's the most suitable option.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: My Delicate Sensibilities 09/11/2014 03:50 PM CDT
English is a living language; this means it changes constantly. Shakespeare's version varies significantly from ours, and the further back you go in time, the greater the differences become. You can argue all you want about whether the original sentence is strictly correct from a grammatical standpoint, but it is currently a common colloquial phrasing, and hence perfectly acceptable in everyday usage.

"For the female of the species
is more deadly than the male."

Re: My Delicate Sensibilities 09/12/2014 04:28 AM CDT
Apologies for being a bit terse.

To be more productive, what I will say is that the assignment to teach or to be taught are really similar looking. I've definitely started doing one when I thought I was assigned the other, until I saw I wasn't getting repetition credit. So if the lines were changed to make them more distinct from one another, regardless of how it was worded grammatically, I could definitely support that change.

And yeah, I didn't know that ending a sentence in a preposition was disputed either. I was wikiwandering yesterday like half an hour before I read this first post and I was like, well there's a coincidence!