Chalk Cost 07/01/2014 09:22 PM CDT
I don't want to get Silvean's thread off topic with a discussion of chalk cost, so I'm starting a separate thread. The cost of the ingredients for crystalline chalk are less than the cost of the chalk at the alchemist, about 10k to 15k cheaper, depending on how much the alchemist charges you.

Pearlescent Oil100
Essence of Air500
Quartz Sand (2x)900
Uncut Emerald (note 1)5,000
Aster Opal (note 2)5,600
Shadowglass Lens (1/5 cost)5,000

Total17,100

Shadowglass lenses have five uses each.

- - - - -

[1] http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Emerald#an_uncut_emerald

[2] http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Opal#an_aster_opal (median value)
Re: Chalk Cost 07/01/2014 10:03 PM CDT

>The cost of the ingredients for crystalline chalk are less than the cost of the chalk at the alchemist, about 10k to 15k cheaper,

aster opals and emeralds both sing up to at least 10k per. I can get chalk for ~20k.
Re: Chalk Cost 07/01/2014 10:04 PM CDT

also does not reflect the rarity of aster opals, which I would not sell for less than 15k on the bounty gem market.
Re: Chalk Cost 07/01/2014 10:32 PM CDT
Not to state the obvious, but what about the cost of learning the darn skill? If you buy a perfectly forged weapon, fancy alchemy dye, ensorcell potions, enchants...pretty much everything: Most of the cost is for the time someone invests, not the raw ingredients.

When I first saw this recipe I just thought, great, I don't even have anything to look forward to.

I would actually like to universally see recipes reduced in difficulty across the board. Why does a light blue potion need an ayana leaf, two daisies, and powered stone? It's a few sips of ten minutes of the most commonly known first level buff spell in the game. Drop a daisy in a pot of boiling water, chant some magic, and call it a day. I mean, who actually uses this stuff when we had imbed since what, the mid 90s?!

112, 113, and 114 are useful for River's Rest because there's no skill check. They are the only recipes I'm looking forward to, besides making my phasing containers glowing black.

To make chalk, let's just crush up an uncut diamond, spit on the powder, and wait for it to solidify. We have to learn the skill (that's what, 60 to 100 hours at least?) and the diamonds are not over the counter.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Chalk Cost 07/01/2014 10:37 PM CDT
>Drop a daisy in a pot of boiling water, chant some magic, and call it a day. I mean, who actually uses this stuff when we had imbed since what, the mid 90s?!

For spells sorcerers know, I really mean to emphasize this. Let me think about my options here:

1) Forage up three things, buy water, buy a stone, take 1 additional minute, including a heavy cauldron

2) Forage up one stick, pass it to my ranger buddy, pop off to a workshop, cast 420.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."