Request for Guild Ideas 07/01/2014 12:00 PM CDT
I want to start a constructive conversation about the sorcerer’s guild. My hope is that we will get some ideas on “paper” that can be seen by the GMs and preserved for a time when guild development becomes a possibility.

In the interests of staying focused, I recommend avoiding critiques of the guild system as a whole. Its drawbacks are well documented. Some of these drawbacks could, however, be addressed through creative ideas for the sorcerer guild.

Here’s what I have in mind for topics; I’d like to see some input on:

1. What you like about the sorcerer guild
2. What you dislike about the sorcerer guild
3. Ideas for new illusions or other abilities related to the illusions skill
4. Ideas for new sorcerer-specific alchemy formulas
5. Ideas for new sorcerer guild skills

I am looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Additional Note: This request is in no way meant to imply that I think guild development is more important than other areas for sorcerer development.
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/01/2014 12:44 PM CDT
Thanks for the constructive post! I assume you'll know where I'm having fun and where I'm being constructive.

>1. What you like about the sorcerer guild

Some community, some of the design (shops, layout). Workshops, summoning chambers.

>2. What you dislike about the sorcerer guild

Everything else? We can't set planar runes there. I suppose all things considered, I wish illusions did more. They have a few tricks, but mostly it's to make 725 practical.

>3. Ideas for new illusions or other abilities related to the illusions skill

Rose should access any nightmare number, including the custom ones.

A lot of illusions sadly treads on Monk or would-be Monk turf, like Forget did. This is a huge professional issue for identity. If I suggest the idea to have an illusion to look like a different race, sorry that's a planned Mental circle spell. Let's differentiate what sorcerers do from whatever mental magic is supposed to do. We still have plenty of relics from when sorcerers were more like what is now called Mental (Quake is an illusion, too), but this new barrier is imposing.

More practically, if creatures see certain kinds of things (Maelstroms, ranger vines, etc) they might run away. This may or may not be level-based. A way to make the sorcerer appear imposing/menacing that encourages creatures to run away (not an active skill, and just has them run to a nearby room, nothing else).

Use the Maelstrom illusion to modify the spell Maelstrom, like shifting it to a new target, a long suggested idea. Something similar with the Void illusion and Implosion.

>4. Ideas for new sorcerer-specific alchemy formulas

Planar chalk recipes that are less ridiculous.

I suppose one to break sanctuaries, including natural ones. We literally can't do practical stuff like make animation crystals in sanctuaries owing to 719 being a spell of war. I know most people would leave the room, but this is a more fun option.

Potion for temp ensorcellment just like sorcerers get on their own gear is super obvious.

>5. Ideas for new sorcerer guild skills

Something that's more painful for other people than sorcerers.

More seriously, how about we run with the sacrifice skill that exists, make it into a full blown guild skill and allow it to be improved. I only ever used it in the sad days where I had no society affiliation, and otherwise it's kind of junk, but a cool idea!! With time limitations and requiring a creature, is it that overpowered to allow hundreds of mana? Probably not.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/01/2014 01:37 PM CDT

Not really specific to your questions, but on the Reddit I answered some alchemy questions from natestone and we discussed in general how the guild is not for casual players. http://www.reddit.com/r/GemstoneIV/comments/29b1o7/im_gamemaster_scrimge_the_new_platinum_guru_ama/?sort=new

We have a pretty kickass symbol. I like how the guild has been progressively worked into spell releases. I enjoy the camaraderie with my fellow masters.

Way too many very good players burned out doing alchemy. The initial demands were very poorly QC'd and the players who had to point out all the mistakes and run around from guild to guild were hardly given a thanks for it, nothing was done to keep them around when all the extra work they put in benefited everyone else but them. Some of the recipes you'd actually want to make after mastering (crystalline chalk for example) require ridiculously rare ingredients like aster opals, it's a kick in the teeth. The ingredients for crystalline chalk cost more than buying it from the alchemist shop. This needs to be addressed for the system to succeed, it was not addressed with the uproar following the premie transport system implementation because alchemy seems to be completely forgotten about by the current group of GMs.

Vortex and maelstrom do absolutely nothing, make them do something mechanically. Point the vortex at a critter to put it into RT. Point the maelstrom at a critter to get one blast of random elemental damage (similar to the elemental damage of dark catalyst, but not as powerful). Change all audience tasks to practicing against critters. I am not against audience tasks as a whole in the guild system, but we are sorcerers and should not be performing anything in front of an audience, especially with demons, period.

If illusion duration permanence won't happen at mastery of illusions, make a trinket or potion for it.
-Pour potion on gnoll
-The potion seeps into the gnoll and stabilizes the illusion until you remove it.

Pain wand
Nightmare item
Quake item
Maelstrom enhancement item

Animation mastery. phantom necro ranks for MAL, heal animate without potions or wand, better control over animate (make them only attack, make them only use their spells, make them only use their cmans)

Scroll combining.
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/01/2014 01:44 PM CDT

>Planar chalk recipes that are less ridiculous.

note that DAID and I had no contact regarding this prior to posting.
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/01/2014 08:44 PM CDT

Thanatology: a skill providing a variety of RP effects and some mechanical benefits along the theme of death and dying. At the higher ranks, it would provide some conveniences meant to encourage the use of Animate Dead. Just imagine the spooky sorcerer training tasks, e.g. grave robbing.

Occultism: a skill providing a variety of RP effects and some mechanical benefits related to demons and the valences. I could imagine the ability to discern a demon's weakness (i.e. its 'name') as a combat ability against lesser demons. The summoning and vivisection of particular minor demon types would be a lovely training task.
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/01/2014 09:03 PM CDT

We need a balefire wand recipe.
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/01/2014 10:23 PM CDT
>Just imagine the spooky sorcerer training tasks, e.g. grave robbing.

YES! How did I forget? I've been looking at picking pockets for a very long time. Unfortunately I didn't get a rune tattoo at RtCF or CCF which kind of threw a small wrench in my plans. Still, I was thinking to start cross realm traveling to dead people; they might get rescue in the mean time, but I'd rob them blind first.

Easier chalk recipe and some RP for dead bodies? We are in!

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/01/2014 10:49 PM CDT
Another idea for a recipe. With all the spell recipes basically treading all over what was once the domain of a single minor elemental spell (Imbed), with the main benefit dropping the skill check, how about a potion to give phantom ranks of Magic Item Use for ten minutes? This compliments the skill we had before alchemy was released, rather than insulting it.

These kinds of potions would also offer the leg-up some people wanted for the highest end ensorcell work. Make one for Arcane Symbols and the mana controls too, if you want. How much of a bonus is fair? If it does effective skill ranks, it can help people with no skills to use a wand, but not overly break other stuff.

Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 09:59 AM CDT
The guild doesn't do much for me. I'm a member, but for my purposes, it is more like being in a union or trade group.

My upgrades are less utility and more flash. Literally. Sorcerers used to be hated and feared. Let's bring that back. When a sorcerer uses the workshop areas, have it cause enviromental effects. Ghostly fog rolling into town when ensorcell is cast. Plane shift out or in should have a peel of thunder. Summoning should have an aurora roll over the neighboring town.

This is taking things too far, but too many sorcerers in the guild halls or working in the chamber should have a magical effect on the associated town. We are hoarders of magic and mana, perhaps our greater works should add an extra mana pulse to the closest town areas, just to let people know that we are doing something powerful.

On the utility side, a greater variety of goods should be available for purchase. Not just magical, but mundane. Bags and robes and light leather with a decidedly sorcererish twist. Candles and lamps would be a nice touch, we do our best work at night.

Perhaps type of dust that can be spread about an area to boost our foraging abilities. Or another that can be thrown on a target that will allow us to mark it. This doesn’t have to have a true mechanical value, it can make players and critter glow so that people know they have been marked by a sorcerer. It would allow us to target things more easily – throw at first orc. On a successful hit, we can now – target glowing orc. Players would have to be grouped with the sorcerer to be affected by the dust, so there isn’t the goofy possibility of a glowing character turning invisible or hiding. They have to wipe the dust off first. The grouping removes the trolling possibilities.

Improving the telescopes that appear in some of the guilds would be nice. Perhaps have small ones on a cart that a member can take out to the town square would be cool. It should move like the siege towers in the landing so they can’t be lifted or stolen. We can’t be all evil all the time.

More books in the library would be nice.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 10:36 AM CDT

I am here compiling some ideas related to the illusions skill from other posts floating around our message board...

"I think it would be insanely awesome if we could get a custom illusion. Maybe allow the chance to get one to those mastered in the skill (which I'm not). It just doesn't make sense to me to be a "master" of illusions but only be able to cloak my demon in a preset amount of illusions." (GIBESON1)

"Sorcerer's illusion that allows the creation of a shimmery mirror. This is purely RP, it allows a person to step up to the image and see a reflection of themselves. Being a sorcery, there is a light version and a darker version. The light version creates an exact reflection; the dark version distorts the viewer's reflection into something nasty, like themselves with animal-like features." (SOLFE)
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 11:56 AM CDT
>On the utility side, a greater variety of goods should be available for purchase.

Shop containers with scripts to close them. This usually leads to compatibility with Phase without use of Lock Mastery. I've complained about how to make use of phasing containers all over, but this is (in my mind) my most constructive suggestion, and something the guild can easily sell. Sell one type per guild, with varying nouns and worn locations.

>Perhaps type of dust that can be spread about an area to boost our foraging abilities.

I hate to bring it up again, but the severe professional penalty sorcerers suffer to foraging is ridiculous when coupled with our guild and alchemy. This is a nice constructive suggestion, but professional foraging bonuses should be basically scrapped (or at worst massively revised). The last time I had a detailed discussion, I was conceded that sorcerers (and others with alchemy) could get a bonus to foraging the alchemy-related items. Well firstly empaths don't NEED a bonus, but besides that, this would seem to encompass more than half of all items that can be foraged, if not more. Hence, scrap professional bonuses, period, and overhaul foraging.

Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 12:03 PM CDT

>Shop containers with scripts to close them.

you mean lock? scripted containers in general are a nono for phase
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 12:23 PM CDT
>>Shop containers with scripts to close them.

>you mean lock? scripted containers in general are a nono for phase

I have a general plan to do more testing. My belt uses a script to open and close, which reveals or conceals a hidden pocket. If the pocket it concealed, and the belt is put into another container, the contents are phased weightless.

My example aside, I am definitely interested to know about other containers with scripts to open and close. Namely because if they phase like my belt, I want to use them. I'm not looking forward to the third time getting all new locks on my phasing containers after some rogue bungled it (and still being out half a mil or more for the old work).

Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 12:28 PM CDT
>you mean lock? scripted containers in general are a nono for phase

Apologies for the double post. It's getting late for me (but this is one of my all time favorite topics, too!)

I'm not sure if you follow me. Scripted containers are a general nono for phase because lock mastery adding a lock doesn't work on scripted containers. But I'm not talking about adding a lock to them. I'm talking about containers with scripts that open and close them. In my experience, containers that don't use "open/close" verbs are considered locked for Phase when their contents are not accessed. Actually locked stuff, script concealed pockets, skull rings -- it's really the same mechanic.

In any case, what I do mean is belt worn, leg worn, shoulder worn, etc etc containers with scripts to open/close like my belt, which work with Phase. TURN BELT is a lot easier than all this BS with Lock Mastery is all I'm saying. Let's get some designs in and have them sold! (I'm happy to contribute designs, naturally.)

Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 12:35 PM CDT
quintessential log, generated 5 seconds ago

>encum
It is difficult to move quickly at all, and your legs are strained with the effort of carrying all that stuff. You can probably manage to trudge around town, but hunting would be treacherous.
>l in my bel
In the leather rope belt you see a pearl-handled rolaren lockpick, a slender dark invar lockpick, a silver lockpick, a cerulean-hued wavy glaes lockpick, a copper lockpick, a copper lockpick, a silver lockpick, an opalescent ora lockpick, a ruby-edged dark mithril lockpick, a copper lockpick, a copper lockpick, a copper lockpick, a silver lockpick, a copper lockpick, a copper lockpick, a copper lockpick, a copper lockpick, a copper lockpick, a steel lockpick, a steel lockpick, a copper lockpick, a steel lockpick, a steel lockpick, a steel lockpick, a steel lockpick, a large elven silver lockpick, a steel lockpick, a steel lockpick, a copper lockpick, a copper lockpick, an ankle-worn slender leather toolkit, a steel lockpick, a steel lockpick and a steel lockpick.
>turn belt
You turn the leather rope belt around concealing the pocket.
>remo belt
You remove a braided leather rope belt with an ink-black ribbon woven into the braids from around your waist.
>stow r
You tuck the leather rope belt into a small pocket inside of your silk cloak.
>prep 704
A salty sea breeze stirs as you chant an old sailor's ditty, invoking Phase.
Your spell is ready.
>cast at my belt
You gesture at a braided leather rope belt with an ink-black ribbon woven into the braids.
The belt becomes momentarily insubstantial and appears lighter.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>encum
You are beginning to stoop under the load you are carrying, and your reactions are slow. Hope you don't have to dodge anything.

Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 12:59 PM CDT

and you think you're going to get a specialized item like that in the guild shop?
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 06:32 PM CDT

I'm a relative neophyte in the guild, but I do have a few opinions on this too.

The guild structures themselves are beautiful. I like the camaraderie and the sense of community, at least in theory; in practice, I don't see people there as often as I'd like, but that's due to my weird hours more than anything else. Even the idea of having to work at something for quite a while to master it is fine by me. A certain guild master has reminded me on more than one occasion that part of the guild's purpose is to instill discipline and patience. Maybe it's working.

I feel high-level alchemy should be more powerful than it seems to be. Something awesome should happen for people who've worked at alchemy long enough to master it. If it would be too much to make potions with game-breaking potency, then add more roleplaying possibilities -- illusory shape-changing, maybe? The cost is phenomenal even now, and I can imagine how much higher it was when people had to grind their own gemstones into powder. That should have a larger pay-off in some way.

I could grumble about the difficulty of finding training partners, but that's my own fault more than anyone else's. I'd rather go find new and interesting places to die than hang around town growing essence roses.

Give masters a custom illusion or two. They should be able to do some things the rest of us can't or have fancy-looking cloaked demons. Make all illusions easy to dispel with a peer or a pinch or something; no one wants to be up to her ankles in essence roses after a speed task. Let vortices do something more interesting than just sit there until I peer them out of existence.

Poisons. I don't know what we'll do with them, but doesn't it seem like the sort of thing we'd investigate making? Sometimes, you want to tear off a limb; other times, you don't want witnesses and just put a little something extra in the wine at a wedding party.

Other people have come up with fantastic ideas. I can't think of any of my own offhand.
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 10:30 PM CDT
>and you think you're going to get a specialized item like that in the guild shop?

As a belt, no I wouldn't even ask for it. Satchels and such that work with Phase so we don't have to rely on another profession's guild, absolutely.

Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/02/2014 10:43 PM CDT

>Satchels and such that work with Phase so we don't have to rely on another profession's guild, absolutely.

you don't think it was set up like that on purpose?
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/04/2014 10:23 AM CDT
The concept. To clarify I liked the idea of joining the organization to learn additional skills.

-the tedium
-Alchemy -> Give me a reason to want to complete this life draining and soul sucking skill.
-Having to diversify my skills. I have yet finish illusions. Why? I have to diversify into alchemy before I can finish my illusions. Since I won't do alchemy, I won't finish illusions and I let my guild membership slide.
-you can be a master in illusions but Sorcerers are not Master illusionists. This was confirmed by a name in red.

-When you eat your own roses, you should see past the illusions that are on demons and it should let you know who is controlling them.

To be honest, I don't see Zhelas ever completing alchemy in the very near future and I currently don't use any of the existing potions or trinkets. Therefore I don't have an answer for this.

I will chime in and say put sacrifice into the guild. Allow the sorcerer to appraise the creature so they can see when it is close to death. With practice you can gain more mana. Have a shorter cool down. As it stands, being a member of COL, Zhelas has never given sacrifice a thought when hunting.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/06/2014 12:18 PM CDT
<< Ideas for new sorcerer-specific alchemy formulas >>

Greater Phase Dust: It would work just like the current phase dust but would add 20 pounds to the user's otherwise maximum weight limit.
Re: Request for Guild Ideas 07/06/2014 12:48 PM CDT

alchemy should be changed to give the lore bonuses, or at least half, of the person making the stuff.