Diversification 04/14/2013 12:27 AM CDT
I just returned from a break. I have no doubt this has been said already, but I don't care and I'm going to add my opinion to the no doubt large pile of complaints.

Having to train in alchemy in order to master illusions just pisses me off. I already have to jump through hoops for dozens of in-game hours to use a vaguely useful utility spell that I primarily want for RP purposes, and now you force me to jump through MORE hoops? And those hoops happen to be a tedious and boring guild skill that I can't envision my character, who hates sitting in laboratories all day, ever pursuing?

I guarantee you: almost everyone that hit this requirement was pissed. Why would you piss off your player base? This seems to me like an ill conceived piece of game design. I imagine it was put in place because no one was using alchemy, and if that's the case then the devs need to reconsider. Forcing people to do anything in such a contrived manner is just silly. I do not like the alchemy system and I do not want to do it. Why would you force me to? Do you want people to get annoyed at this game and play it less? Do you want them to skip out on mastering illusions and enriching their game experience? More to the point: if you have to artificially staple alchemy onto another skill that is part of a profession-defining spell in order to get people to use it, don't you think its very existence has become counter-productive?

Really, I think this was a bad design decision and I implore you to reconsider it. I'll probably grind out the alchemy ranks anyway. Probably. And I'll probably get bored while I do, and annoyed at the tedium of it. Here's hoping that boredom and annoyance doesn't just make me want to not log into the game.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Diversification 04/14/2013 12:45 AM CDT
It's an old guild system mechanic, nothing specific to sorcerers. From what I've gathered, it's not something they can fix easily.
Re: Diversification 04/14/2013 09:15 AM CDT
>It's an old guild system mechanic, nothing specific to sorcerers. From what I've gathered, it's not something they can fix easily.

It's not that old, and I doubt it's terribly intertwined with illusions since illusion mastery predates alchemy by years.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Diversification 04/14/2013 10:39 AM CDT
<<It's not that old, and I doubt it's terribly intertwined with illusions since illusion mastery predates alchemy by years.

If I remember right, diversifying has been around at least since the rogue guild was released. If not earlier.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Diversification 04/14/2013 10:43 AM CDT
>It's not that old, and I doubt it's terribly intertwined with illusions since illusion mastery predates alchemy by years.

You do realize that the sorcerer guild came way after, oh, say, the warrior and rogue guilds? Those guild have been around for quite some time.

Again, it has nothing to do with either the illusion or alchemy skills and is directly tied to the guild system (and to spell this out a bit more, this does not mean the SORCERER guild. It means guilds... all of the profession guilds. They're all working on the same system). It's the same reason we have to do contradictory audience reps while illusioning demons.
Re: Diversification 04/14/2013 05:50 PM CDT
What I meant is that the illusion guild skill predates alchemy by roughly 3 or 4 years. To suggest that illusion training is in some way intrinsically tied to diversification on the level of the code is misleading. Diversification was part of the warrior and rogue's guild before that time, I get it. That changes absolutely nothing whatsoever about the content of my complaint and is not in the form of a counter-argument as it present no principled ground for an alternate point of view other than the fact that it 'already existed'. Soooo yeah. Alchemy tied to illusions still sucks and I hate it.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Diversification 04/14/2013 10:27 PM CDT
The other two guilds were bought up to show that diversifying is an inherent part of the system, sorcerers never had to worry about it before because all you ever had was illusions. I do agree with you that diversification sucks and seems silly to me. I think it was only made as part of the system to prevent people from mastering too quickly when it was first released. But I honestly have no idea how difficult it would be to change the system to get rid of it either, or if the powers that be would even be behind such a move.