Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 08:21 AM CDT
In the interest of broadening my very limited knowledge, I would appreciate your answers to the following two hypothetical questions:

1. If a generally utilitarian item were being designed with the the "average sorcerer" in mind (recognizing that in fact there is no such beast), would designing such an item as head-worn be in direct conflict with an already existing item which is commonly employed by today's sorcerers? Recognizing that the item could not be designed as pin-worn, is there some other location which would be considered "more useful" or "less in conflict" with standard sorcerous equipage than head-worn?

2. If a merchant were designing a shop for a future event, and they wanted to be confident that the relatively common items they were relying on to fill out their inventory would be found to be useful by today's sorcerous clientele, what might a list of that inventory include? (NOTE: "relatively common" meaning either very marginally scripted/zested or not scripted/zested at all, e.g. wands, orbs, double leather, crit-padded full leather, common-flare runestaves, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Mikos
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 08:39 AM CDT

I don't think I'd call my sorcerer average, but...

1. Since there is only one head slot and head worn items are very commonly found, head is meh to me. I think the following are more "useful:" belt worn (code 13), waist (3), undershirt (23), earlobes (17), neck (12), shoulder/back (5)

2. maybe super animation crystals, high value gems, something scripted that interacts with a minor demon. OTS crit padding is always good. "Wands" is broad, but I always liked Bazz's MR wands.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 10:00 AM CDT
1. I'll go with V on this one. Head worn would have to be pretty spectacular to interest me since we only get one. Beyond that you need to have a wide variety or make them completely alterable to suit everyone's style. I prefer not to go for neck worn as well, as we tend to have a lot in that slot. Ring or ear are both good. Belt would work as well.

2. a. Items with spells that improve AS, CS or maneuver defense.
b. Some sort of spellup items for animates, use it to give an animate your full spellup.
c. Single use uncommon demon runestones.
d. Some sort of special demon illusion items.
e. Enhancives for magical skills/lores

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 11:00 AM CDT
+1 to high-value gems. Also something scroll-related since scroll recharging is a key sorcerer ability (happy to see the cutters making a comeback).
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 11:09 AM CDT
1. The head wouldn't be a problem for my sorcerer, but then I don't chase exhansiveness like a lot of sorcerers do. I disagree with the person that suggested the belt though, I'm constantly seeing belt-worn items I'd like to make use of but can't because I already have too many things there. Same with the back and shoulder. Places I don't tend to see a lot of items for seem to be ankle, wrist, arms, and over the front.

2. A lockable container that comes with a key and can be Phased would be a hot seller, I'd bet. Even if the key was sold on a table next to it. If that wasn't possible, a small selection of sorcerer themed containers that a rogue could add locks to would be almost as good.

I got excited for a moment at the thought of crit padded full leather or robes before reason spoke up and reminded me that is would likely be only slightly padded if you're just looking to fill out a shop. TBH, in order for weapons or armor to excite me at merchants, there HAS to be something about them other then being 4x (and I REALLY don't understand why so many merchants include weapons that are below 4x). Elemental flares on weapons/runestaves have also become common enough that I just think "meh" when I see them at merchants (doubly so if I'm looking for a square/semi that hunts undead). At this point, I could start another premium account and outfit every last character slot with 4x weapons and armor out of the lockers of this account.

Wands/rods that were gnomish/halfling/giantkin/etc arm bones would be cool if they had spells other then 702/705 in them or could be used with 420 and held a decent amount of charges. If there was a selection of sorcerer themed "gold rings" I'd prolly pick up a bunch of those too (yea, I know I already have two spells a two society abilities for travel, but there's always a use for gold rings).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 11:19 AM CDT

>A lockable container that comes with a key and can be Phased would be a hot seller, I'd bet.

you can hire a lock master for that, people put a lot of time in for those guild ranks. I know there are locking rings, but this directly duplicates the function of the guild skill.

Rare key blanks are always good though.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 11:30 AM CDT
<you can hire a lock master for that, people put a lot of time in for those guild ranks.>

Yea, I'm one of them.... and adding locks onto containers was not one of the reasons I got those ranks. It wouldn't bother my rogue in the least to see containers with locks/keys OTS, though I did suggest containers that works with LM as well.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 02:39 PM CDT
Oh, this question is promising! Looking forward to whatever you're up to, Mikos.

1. It'd have to be pretty special to get me to remove Lylia's hennin or various Veolas, but I could see a particularly special headpiece earning a spot. Some spaces I don't typically have filled include arms, wrists, fingers, and ears. (I'm assuming this is not something eligible for enruned tattooing or enhancive toenail polish or somesuch.)

2. Quite a few possibilities:

- Temporary item-enhancing gear such as scroll cutters, runestone customizers, etc. I tend to stockpile these instead of using them because I don't know when I'll get another.
- CS enhancers that don't weigh 8 pounds and have a single charge.
- Cross-realm, multi-use chalk. We can buy and stack fine crystalline chalk by Phasing and bundling, but I'd pay for a more convenient option.
- Hard-to-find alchemical reagents.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 03:21 PM CDT

1. I thought only wizards wear funny hats? Oh sorry, I digress...My sorceress wears nothing on her head, wrists, ankles and fingers would
also work though.

2. Robes would be great, the selection in color and style is very limited when compared to other armors. We sorcerer types also enjoy
looking good. I am not sure if armor concealers are ordinary enough but ones that would conceal your robes would be another option.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 03:38 PM CDT

>I am not sure if armor concealers are ordinary enough but ones that would conceal your robes would be another option.

robes can be altered into pretty much anything wearable made of cloth, like a sash, or shirt
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 03:39 PM CDT
1. If a generally utilitarian item were being designed with the the "average sorcerer" in mind (recognizing that in fact there is no such beast), would designing such an item as head-worn be in direct conflict with an already existing item which is commonly employed by today's sorcerers? Recognizing that the item could not be designed as pin-worn, is there some other location which would be considered "more useful" or "less in conflict" with standard sorcerous equipage than head-worn?
-gm-mikos

What about where gnomish goggles or super specs are located? If the item is considered armor I would see why the head worn would be a bad spot for some sorcerers as it would give them spell failure in light leathers, full leathers, reinforced leathers. (Partial armors)

GBB
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/19/2017 03:45 PM CDT

Armor concealers covering robes are more ideal than just altering the robes. Specifically, in regards to people who would like to wear multiple outfits but have fairly nice armor (robes.) They could match the concealer to the rest of an outfit, and still wear the armor beneath.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/20/2017 08:23 AM CDT
Some type of item that could be charged up by killing or sacrificing monsters, that could later be used to prolong the timer of animate dead without having to run to the field to refresh it or being in an area where you cant sacrifice something to refresh it.

Multi use inter-realm chalk

Salt shakers

pre made high end salt for duration.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/20/2017 10:04 AM CDT
<Salt shakers>

For some reason this made me think of Rachael Ray.... which made me picture her casting 705 at a loaf of bread....

Starchitin

Re: Hypothetical Questions 04/22/2017 12:53 AM CDT

<For some reason this made me think of Rachael Ray.... which made me picture her casting 705 at a loaf of bread....>

Well, that's one way to get bread crumbs.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/02/2017 04:21 AM CDT
Head slot would be a deal breaker. I don't have padded armor so I use a helm with padding to help with death crits. I would use an over the front slot.

dikar'fyn runestones with charges
scrolls that teach runes (w/out person being able to teach it again)
Mystic focus imbeds with raise activator (or whichever activator gives more time)
a pen of sorts (like those pens with 4 colors from elementary school) that holds different chalks and can be switched between
"unique" demon illusions items with say 50 uses
a runestaff that can absorb a scroll's spells much like Bazz gloves absorb spells (make it only take offensive spells).
"dark" themed scripted items

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/02/2017 07:00 AM CDT
<a pen of sorts (like those pens with 4 colors from elementary school) that holds different chalks and can be switched between>

Good idea, but...

...did you HAVE to use the same pens little girls use to draw hearts over i's as an example. We're supposed to be the kings and queens of darkness, we can't have girlie pens! Or bubbles!

Starchitin

PS If you get the reference, you get a cursed cookie.

Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/02/2017 07:32 AM CDT
<...did you HAVE to use the same pens little girls use to draw hearts over i's as an example. We're supposed to be the kings and queens of darkness, we can't have girlie pens! Or bubbles!

It can come in black!!

Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/02/2017 08:27 AM CDT

>Mystic focus imbeds with raise activator (or whichever activator gives more time)

flat duration spells won't get a boost from any different activation method.

>dikar'fyn runestones with charges

+1

>a runestaff that can absorb a scroll's spells much like Bazz gloves absorb spells (make it only take offensive spells).

cool idea

>"unique" demon illusions items with say 50 uses

custom demon illusions always a good idea
Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/02/2017 09:12 AM CDT
<flat duration spells won't get a boost from any different activation method.

Eh, still offer it we always need more CS!

Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/04/2017 12:57 PM CDT
Arm-Worn seems like the best option for sorcerers. It's a limited slot that allows for significant power (bracers and greaves are stronger than rings or even earrings), you can make it an armor piece and it won't impede hindrance like helm does, and I could definitely see a sorcerer wearing a serpent armband coiling up their arm in a sinuous arc.

As for items, I would love to see those scroll tattoos that can actually be infused. Like, the ability to attach a scroll tattoo to your arm, and then use 714 on it like you would a normal scroll. Advantage, don't have to carry a scroll around or hold it in your hand. Disadvantage, only has 1 spell and the "scroll strength" is basically a scroll with 1 spell on it (so it will recharge fewer times). Plus, you can't recharge it for anyone else, so the infusing feature is limited to the sorcerer wearing the tattoo, which limits the level of power being distributed in this fashion.

You can only have two scroll tattoos at any time (currently), with the ones that were sold at EG. That would be super handy for sorcerers, but non-sorcerers could still use them for their base charges.

Something with scroll tattoos that makes them better for sorcerers would be awesome.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/10/2017 12:08 AM CDT
Thanks for the comments and suggestions! A couple of followup questions regarding two of the items...

salt shakers - Am I correct in understanding that this would simply be a ready-to-use storage device for multiple bunches of salt crystals? Would a specific wear location or verb other than "spread" make it more useful?

"dark" themed scripted items - What would qualify as "dark" themed scripting? I believe we have quite a range of sorcerers being RP'd, and even though most could likely be described as having a "dark" aspect, that darkness may range from elegant to gross and incorporate anything from corpse-rot to demonic energies. Hence, an example or three of what you'd find appealing would be helpful.

Thanks again,
- Mikos
Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/10/2017 04:54 AM CDT
<"dark" themed scripted items -Mikos

Lets start with gross:

a decaying arm - belt that has messaging with worn and taken off about the hand releasing its grasp on the other end - think of an arm without a bone in it. This is just off the top of my head. I encourage anyone to run with it for other uses or to add on to it.

For general "dark" scripts I think the rapture cloaks do it well.

https://gswiki.play.net/Rapture_cloak

So something along those lines.

Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/10/2017 10:20 AM CDT
<even though most could likely be described as having a "dark" aspect, that darkness may range from elegant to gross and incorporate anything from corpse-rot to demonic energies.>

Short answer: Yes, this.

Longer answer: Listen to Marilyn Manson's album "Antichrist Superstar" a few times for inspiration then start brainstorming. While I always love seeing the gross stuff, it seems to be far better represented then the elegant.... esp for those of us that attend EG.

I know it wouldn't be easy to accomplish, if at all possible, but something scripted to imply that we're doing something mundane (like eating a sandwich) while others are suffering would be awesome for those going for a truly evil sorcerer.

Starchitin

Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/19/2017 12:54 PM CDT
salt shakers - Am I correct in understanding that this would simply be a ready-to-use storage device for multiple bunches of salt crystals? Would a specific wear location or verb other than "spread" make it more useful?

Yup, I was thinking like a gem jar. But if you could shake a dose of salt right on them this would be amazing.
Re: Hypothetical Questions 05/19/2017 12:56 PM CDT
It should also allow multiple flavors, such as Bacon, Chile, Garlic...
Re: Hypothetical Questions 07/23/2017 07:43 PM CDT
1 - I don't mind head worn. Arm worn would be my preference.

2 - I would like a pocketed codex to put my chalk in. If pocketed codices already exist can someone please sell me one? :)

- Some sort of alchemy container with lock/unlock (or open/close) scripts like the enchiridions:

>unlock ench
You trace your fingers in a slow, circular spiral around the dark leather enchiridion, allowing your power to fuse with its own as its surface comes alive with frenetic slivers of dark crimson energy. It responds to your command and you feel the sigils pulse in unison, and a miasma of shadow rises up from it and disperses into the air.

>lock ench
You trace your fingers in a slow, circular spiral around the dark leather enchiridion, allowing your power to fuse with its own as its surface comes alive with frenetic slivers of blue-black energy. It responds to your command and you feel the sigils pulse in unison, an unseen force shrouding itself around the enchiridion in a tight embrace.