Sacrifice 08/23/2015 08:30 PM CDT
I have just recently started hunting OTF and keeping to the west ducts with gremlocks, taints and beings. I still struggle for mana if I don't sacrifice but have been having trouble getting one off in there. I have been picking on the gremlocks as they are the safest (ok not really with the garotte, but they are easiest to ward making them safe). The snippet at the end of this post is just one example, while you can't tell from the log I am keeping them stunned. After failing to sacrifice I finished it off with a 26 hp hit so I can't get them much lower. Having recently returned after a long break just checking I am not missing anything.

ps. as a bonus any general advice on starting out in OTF would not go amiss. When I am feeling brave and the place is empty an open 710 works quite well but mostly it has been taking one of two at a time with liberal use of 709 and open 703 (that is a new one since I was away and damn is it useful, no more working out which of the three mobs just preped when you can stop them all).

R>sacrifice target
You focus your inner thoughts, channeling a part of your spirit as you initiate a link with the gremlock. You struggle to control the link, but it dissipates with no effect.
You feel drained!
Roundtime: 10 sec.
R>app grem
The gremlock is medium in size and about five feet high in her current state.
The gremlock would have a slight advantage over you.
>incant 702
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Mana Disruption...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a gremlock.
CS: +420 - TD: +351 + CvA: +25 + d100: +39 == +133
Warding failed!
A painful blow for 24 points of damage!
A gremlock collapses and her eyes roll up as she dies.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Re: Sacrifice 08/23/2015 10:25 PM CDT
It's all hearsay, but in my personal experience, I felt sacrifice was more successful if explicitly Mind Jolt was used for the stun, rather than MD. This was back in a time when my character had no society and mana was a problem.

It could be sometimes the stun from 702 wore off, or just generally an observational bias. I'd be curious to have that observation refuted or confirmed, for what it's worth. It probably wouldn't be that hard to test carefully, except the part where ideally you can find a like-level opponent. BCS could have easily been the confounding factor, and for whatever reason I was trying to sacrifice after 702 rather than using 706, but in principle that shows up in the TD and shouldn't be an issue to realize.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Sacrifice 08/25/2015 02:20 PM CDT
Storm, what level is your sorcerer?

Random general advice... the Woods can have all sorts of bigger creatures wander in but only naturally spawn gremlocks, constructs, and liches at night (oldest undead in EN, if you are Voln).

Construct barriers can be broken with mana, but it is generally not advisable to do so because it takes so much.

Impact/lightning resists can be huge when you get out of the ducts.

Symbol of courage helps against griffin screeches.

Double bag anything you dont want to lose to NPC theft, even if just walking through the bigger stuff to get to the ducts. Eventually you WILL die in the .1 second your running through a room with a griffin in it.

You cannot drag a dead body past a living construct.

Friends dont leave crystal weapons on the ground for other friends to get killed by. Even if they are not a threat to there own person.

And, I think that's enough randomness.

Tal.
Re: Sacrifice 08/25/2015 03:32 PM CDT
<< Friends dont leave crystal weapons on the ground for other friends to get killed by. Even if they are not a threat to there own person. >>

They're phasable and you can sell them at the pawnshop.
Re: Sacrifice 09/12/2015 01:00 PM CDT

Yeah I've noticed that whether it works or not definitely has a random element.

Also I believe the information on the wiki is in some ways inaccurate. With 24 ranks combined of EMC and SMC I'm definitely not seeing 20 mana + creature level.

From my observations it's more like 10+CL. Does that conform with others' observations?
Re: Sacrifice 09/13/2015 12:03 AM CDT
>Yeah I've noticed that whether it works or not definitely has a random element.

>Also I believe the information on the wiki is in some ways inaccurate. With 24 ranks combined of EMC and SMC I'm definitely not seeing 20 mana + creature level.

>From my observations it's more like 10+CL. Does that conform with others' observations?

Forgetting exactly at the moment, but the wiki (is or was) definitely wrong about the exact number, and if I recall reported a higher number by something like 1 to 10 as you said.

Guess I could go test it later?

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Sacrifice 09/13/2015 01:04 AM CDT

Yeah I don't have enough SMC and EMC to rule out that part of the equation. Almost every other sell that uses both uses your higher one as primary and second MC at only half value. So if that's happening here, my numbers would be lower anyway.

If you happen to be sacrificing things later, maybe just see if the amount of mana is obvious. (I suspect there might be a small random element here as well, but that could just be from critter levels changing slightly).
Re: Sacrifice 09/13/2015 04:00 AM CDT
With 41 ranks in both SMC and EMC (82 ranks total), the base mana is trending down as the level gap versus the target narrows.

Rolton: Level 1. 19 mana. (+18 base, -40 Levels)

Manticore: Level 9. 26 mana. (+17 base, -32 Levels)

Cave troll: Level 16. 32 mana. (+16 base, -25 Levels)

Ice troll: Level 29. 45 mana. (+16 base, -12 Levels)

Arctic titan: Level 36. 50 mana. (+14 base, -5 Levels)

Frost giant: Level 38. 52 mana (+14 base, -3 Levels)

- Xorus' player
Re: Sacrifice 09/15/2015 06:52 AM CDT
I should add that bringing these up to 43 ranks each at Level 41 raises the rolton to +19 base and the titan/giants to +16 (it was +15 at 42 each).

- Xorus' player
Re: Sacrifice 09/15/2015 09:50 AM CDT
Thanks for being less lazy than me, Xorus.