Targeting Question 05/26/2014 09:56 AM CDT
Currently hunting wights, and am having trouble targeting 703 once multiple wights enter the room. For example:

wight(1) in room, I 703, than proceed to 702 it. Then wight(2) enters room. I attempt to 703 "other wight" and I normally get boiled. I try "target wight" attempting to target wight(2), and I get boiled.

Given this scenario, what command targets the newly entered wight(2)? It has gotten to the point now, where I just leave the room if wight(2) enters. Advice is needed and welcome!

All that being said, playing a sorc has ruined all other classes for me! My bard and Rogue feel weak compared.
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 10:56 AM CDT
Generally when a new creature enter the room it moves to the front of the line and everything else gets shifted one (so prior first becomes other or second, prior second becomes third, etc). So the thing to do when something new enters is target wight for the new wight and target other wight for the original wight.

-- Robert

You raise your heel high, bringing it down solidly on a severed troll leg's foot!
The severed troll leg howls in pain, clutching its toes!
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 11:12 AM CDT
Thank you for clearing that up for me! I was getting frustrated being boiled when I know I can easily prevent it with the right command. Do other professions know about 703? What a spell!
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 11:52 AM CDT
703 is a fantastic spell. I use it all the time vs spell casting creatures. Especially Sentries in Nelemar.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 01:00 PM CDT
I normally macro 703 three times so i dont have to put, target other mob, target third mob. Just press f9,10,or 11.

Also depending on the mob, I will switch to 706 since it can last longer.

Player of Malisai
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 01:06 PM CDT
The only problem with 706 many creatures become immune to it. For 2 extra mana aimed 708 to remove the right arm prevents them from casting.
For non corporeal undead like sentries. 703, 715, then 711 till they are dead.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 09:57 PM CDT
Where did I go wrong here:

[Abbey, Ossuary]
Odd scraping sounds echo ominously within this intersection, their source unseen. Torches cast dancing shadows upon one wall, their forms writhing across the cracked surface of the wall. You also see an arch wight and an arch wight.
Obvious exits: north, east, south, west
>
--- Lich: walk has exited.
inc 703
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Corrupt Essence...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an arch wight.
CS: +123 - TD: +44 + CvA: +25 + d100: +27 == +131
Warding failed!
An arch wight is suddenly surrounded by a blood red haze.

Your fireleaf runestaff glows intensely with a cold blue light!

The arch wight shrugs off the cold.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>tar other wi
You are now targeting an arch wight.
>inc 703
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Corrupt Essence...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an arch wight.
CS: +123 - TD: +44 + CvA: +25 + d100: +4 == +108
Warding failed!
The blood red haze surrounding an arch wight stirs slightly, but appears otherwise unchanged.
>
An arch wight chants an evil incantation.
>get wand
You remove a crystal wand from in your leather wand belt.
>wave wand
An arch wight chants an evil incantation.
>
You wave your crystal wand at an arch wight.
1d100: 45 + Modifiers: 142 == 187

You hurl a bubbling ball of acid at an arch wight!
AS: +192 vs DS: +60 with AvD: +65 + d100 roll: +52 = +249
... and hit for 139 points of damage!
Acid hole in the ribs makes it hard to breathe. Better get that checked!
The bubbling ball of acid strikes an arch wight, blossoming into a much larger sphere of acid upon impact.
... 10 points of damage!
The arch wight avoids the worst of the attack but still gets a singed forearm.
>wave wand
You wave your crystal wand at an arch wight.
1d100: 62 + Modifiers: 142 == 204

You hurl a bubbling ball of acid at an arch wight!
AS: +192 vs DS: +55 with AvD: +65 + d100 roll: +40 = +242
... and hit for 155 points of damage!
Acid eats away the arch wight's spine and most of what's under it.
The arch wight falls to the ground motionless.
The blood red haze dissipates from around an arch wight.
The bubbling ball of acid strikes an arch wight, blossoming into a much larger sphere of acid upon impact.

A burst of acid from your bubbling ball of acid flies off and hits an arch wight.
... 15 points of damage!
Acid splatters on the arch wight's cheek leaving a bright red burn!
The crystal wand suddenly disintegrates!
>
An arch wight gestures at you!
The ground beneath your feet begins to boil violently!
The ground then quickly cools.
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 10:13 PM CDT

when you walked in you didn't target the first wight to make sure you got the first wight with 703. then you targeted the other wight, which you had already 703'd
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 10:36 PM CDT
Creature targeting with INCANT and KILL is weird. Generally speaking, it will start at the bottom instead of the top of the list. It gets pretty buggy though, consider this situation.

2 creatures in the room.

KILL one of them (or via INCANT to death). Skin it. <- this was typically the second creature in the room

KILL the remaining creature

LOOT <- woops you just searched the one you didn't skin, because LOOT goes via top down and not bottom up

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 11:05 PM CDT
I called it buggy, but actually, when blindly INCANTing with two or more creatures in the room, it's pretty clockwork that you'll be hitting the one at the bottom of the list. So this can be a feature. So you're killing one wight, and another wight comes in. TARGET WIGHT automatically switches to the new wight, so you can Corrupt that one before it boils you, then go back to the original one by TARGET OTHER WIGHT.

For what it's worth, I'll give a rough layout of my sorcery hunting style in terms of my macros. This is similar to the old days before incant, but actually it's much nicer now. All the following macros are Ctrl+letter. Also, I switch caps lock and control, because caps lock is garbage. One of the best keyboard layout changes I ever made, it takes no more than a week to get used to, and then you get really frustrated on machines without the mapping (which, luckily in Japan, is relatively small in many cases).

keymacromnemonic
Ttarget @target
Sincant 706\rstun
Dincant 702\rdisrupt
Fincant 703\rforget, the GS3 spellname
Gincant 705\rdull grey beam...
Lincant 708\rlimb disruption
Pprep 704\rcast at @phase but not the style for hunting
Qincant 709\rquake
Mincant 710\rmaelstrom, not used much past level 40~50
Tincant 718\rtorment, though rarely used
Iincant 720\rimplode
Uprep 108\rcast at @ unstun

I have an alias for 'pain' since I use phasing too much. Dark Catalyst also gets the alias 'dc' since its letters are also taken. And I know the one for Disintegrate is stretching the mnemonic, but is is on homerow right after sdf which I use the most. And Unstun is kind of next to Implode just to live dangerously.

So anyway, a quick Ctrl+T wight Ctrl+F when a new one enters, problem solved.

Re: Targeting Question 05/26/2014 11:07 PM CDT
And T is definitely not Torment. It's target. So no I don't have a macro for Torment. It's not a very good spell anyway. I don't even have an alias for it.

Re: Targeting Question 06/22/2014 04:46 AM CDT
<<<And T is definitely not Torment. It's target. So no I don't have a macro for Torment. It's not a very good spell anyway. I don't even have an alias for it.>>>

My TAB key is "target " for all my characters. It feels very natural, I use it constantly.

Torment is a great spell, it just takes a little diligence. When used properly, it's essentially a guaranteed kill for 18 mana, with lots of stuns and knockdowns in the meantime. It keeps criters pretty busy, for sure. I use it often, sometimes with multiple creatures at once. There's a risk involved, certainly, but that's what makes it worthwhile. It's also wicked cool to observe as a third-party. :)

~ Heathyr