Returning player looking for some help 01/03/2014 11:57 PM CST

Below is a list of my current training skills, some of these I don't ever remember even training in. I am from the old days of Gemstone 3 so my character may need a make over. I went out and tried killing some mobs that were almost 10 levels lower then me and got 1 shotted. I may also need to redo stats not sure. My DS seems to be lacking quite a bit I think but it could just be the new way the game is set up. My current DS self buffed is only 240 and CS is 309. the stone trolls I tried are swinging for well over 300 AS and 1 shot me. Any advice would be welcome. Feel free to look me up In game as well im on quite a bit (character name Daammus)

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 54 11
Shield Use.........................| 105 25
Edged Weapons......................| 151 51
Physical Fitness...................| 105 25
Arcane Symbols.....................| 86 19
Magic Item Use.....................| 45 9
Spell Aiming.......................| 54 11
Harness Power......................| 163 63
Elemental Mana Control.............| 122 31
Spirit Mana Control................| 111 27
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 122 31
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 122 31
Survival...........................| 45 9
Disarming Traps....................| 78 17
Stalking and Hiding................| 50 10
Perception.........................| 124 32
Climbing...........................| 93 21
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 45 9

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 55

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 48

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 62
Training Points: 6 Phy 0 Mnt (1430 Phy converted to Mnt)
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 12:30 AM CST
This is the last advice I gave on training. I didn't edit it to address your specific skills. On your defense I'm thinking that you don't know about 712 (cloak of shadows)

Skills:

Armor use: you can stick with 4 ranks for full leathers, but many of us get 8 ranks and wear double leathers. 8 ranks will also let you wear enhancive arm and leg greaves on top of the armor.

Shield use: a vast majority of sorcerers use a runestaff. Although there are still a few shield users and weapon users out there, if you are looking to play a pure sorcerer, I strongly recommend using a runestaff and at least temporarily ensorcelling it before every hunt (new spell 735). A runestaff will inspect as requiring two handed weapons to use, but that training is not necessary if you never intend to swing it. To increase your ability in using a runestaff for defensive purposes, you will train in a variety of magical skills that you would have likely trained in anyway, nice huh? For another explanation, see http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Runestaff. Anyway, drop all your shield ranks.

Edged: Drop all of these ranks.

Physical fitness: many will say to 1x, I think you can free up points by doing .6x

Arcane symbols: no less than 1x, 1.5x if you can

MIU: 1x

Spell aim: 2x or nothing. I recommend 2x.

harness power: 1x, maybe 1.25x. use rods/wands to supplement your mana

EMC/SMC: 1x each. see the new MANA abilities (mana spellup, mana pulse) http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/MANA_(verb)

Lores: very much a personal choice. I like .5x-1x per. You can check different thresholds for different spells and decide what your goals are for this.

Survival: I think survival is very much underrated. .5x is good

Disarm traps: drop this, use 125 if you see a trap that can kill with 408

Picking locks: drop this

climb/swim: .5x is good

First aid: personal choice. I like to skin. Survival+first aid=skinning ability

Trading: save that for post-cap

Spells: personal choice. many will tell you that you must have 20 sorcerer spell ranks over your level. That's nonsense. You'll do fine hunting with +10 sorcerer spell ranks, or even less if you hunt smart. However, with more sorcerer spell ranks you will be better at ensorcell.

Other skills to consider:

Perception: at least .5x (many say 1x, I say save points)

Spiritual Lore-Summoning: many 100 level spells are affected by it, and curse. See http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_Lore,_Summoning

Stats: use this spreadsheet http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Training_Spreadsheet to help you set your stats
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 01:04 AM CST
I'd suggest you find out what you want your character to be good at and then get the skills to match. You also can't be good at everything so you'll have to figure out what skills you want to cut back or leave out to make room for those that you want more. Do a lot of reading, these forums, player's corner, krakiipedia.org, and gsguide.net have a lot of good information and cover just about anything you'd want to know. If you have more specific questions or need help finding information there are quite a few of us who are very willing to help out.
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 03:58 AM CST
so next question how are my stats should I change any of these as well.

Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 62 (6) ... 62 (6)
Constitution (CON): 58 (-1) ... 58 (-1)
Dexterity (DEX): 79 (24) ... 79 (24)
Agility (AGI): 80 (20) ... 80 (20)
Discipline (DIS): 98 (14) ... 98 (14)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Intuition (INT): 80 (20) ... 80 (20)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Influence (INF): 80 (10) ... 80 (10)
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 04:31 AM CST
You'd definitely want to change your stats. If you have the option to change them now I'd say to do it, but if not I'd suggest you hold off until you can earn a fixstat potion through the adventure guild by doing bounties.
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 05:21 AM CST
Regarding stats, you'll probably want to play with the numbers yourself. I can tell you that if you want better stat growth, your STR and CON are too low (especially at level 61) since they grow slowly. Stats with rapid growth can afford to be a little a lower. At present level I'd keep AUR and WIS at 100 for CS. DEX and AGI are fine. LOG, INT and INF can be tapped to boost the other stats. It's ultimately a personal choice, of course. I've never been one to follow the "optimal" advice, instead opting to craft my character to reflect my image for her, more than worrying about min/max stats. That said, I still pay close attention to practical matters and try to plan ahead for growth, and to avoid any "gotcha" moments. It's a fine balancing act.

Here are some valuable tools you can use to plan your own stats, and compare your options. The first link leads to Tsoran's Trainer. This is still a great way play with your stats and see how they'll come out at various stages of your character's career. The second link leads to the Stat Cruncher and Stat Maximizer, a quick and easy way to plug in and rearrange the numbers to your liking.

Tsoran's Trainer: http://www.cmnservicesgroup.com/tsoran/trainer.html
Stat Cruncer/Maximizer: http://home.mchsi.com/~cphillips73/StatCruncher/StatCruncher.html

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 06:39 AM CST
Regarding skills and spells, VANKRASN39's advice seems sound to me. Adding to that, here are some suggestions for making a very basic, yet powerful sorcerer. This is a generic starting point. Nothing fancy here, no sunroof or accessories. My advice would be to start here. Then, if you have points left, decide where you might like to branch out and expand your character, based upon your own choices.

Armor Use: 4 ranks. That's enough for full leather. Any more than that and you'll experience hindrance.

Shield/Weapons: Drop them. All of them. Pick up a nice 4x runestaff, instead.

Physical Fitness: 30ish, or enough ranks to max out your Health. But most would suggest 1x, matched to your level. This is to defend against critter attacks, and also helps with climbing, swimming, etc. I tend to agree, but my character has survived fine with far less. So start there and season to taste.

Arcane Symbols: 1x. If you want to be really wiz-bang at infusing scrolls, double this.

Magic Item Use: 1x. That's all you really need. You don't want less than this, though, since you'll need magical ranks for runestaff defense.

Spell Aiming: 2x (or nothing). There was a time when sorcerers balked at this skill. That is no longer the case. I think it's important enough that 2x is the new standard. We've got focused implosion, focused maelstrom, limb disruption, web bolt, and the best ball-type spell in the game, Balefire (713). If you want any hope of tossing these spells with any degree of success, double Spell Aim. It also counts as magical ranks towards your runestaff defense. I highly recommend 2x.

Harness Power: 1x. Remember, this is the basic starting point. You can double this if you're hurting for mana. But by 61st level, 1x should be okay, especially if you can tap resources such as society abilities, sacrifice, and the mana pulse command.

Elemental/Spirital Mana Control: 50 ranks each. That's enough to use MANA SPELLUP once a day, and get 4 multi-casts. It also makes the above-mentioned MANA PULSE command very useful.

Spiritual Lore - Summoning: You don't have any of this, and you don't need any. But it's worth mentioning, because some sorcerers find it to be a very useful skill. I have 30 ranks and wouldn't trade them. This makes my bolt-version of Web (118) quite usable, and lets me use 116 Locate Person into adjacent realms. But for baseline purposes: zero.

Sorcerous Lore - Demonology/Necromancy: Lores are a rather special area, and depend a lot on your personal goals and vision for your character. But for baseline purposes, I think 1x in any combination of lores should be fine. It appears you've opted for the 50/50 route, and this may work for you. But this subject really deserves its own discussion, so I'll expound upon this later. I'm sure others will be happy to offer more advice on lores, as well.

Survival: 15 ranks. Some say zero, some say 1x. But in my opinion, 15 ranks is enough to get by.

Disarming Traps: Zero. Waste of points. Drop it.

Stalking and Hiding: Zero. If you need to be able to disappear for some reason, get a glass amulet. If it's really, really, really important to you, you could go for 40 ranks of Spiritual Lore - Summoning and use Spirit Fog (106). That's an insane number of TPs, but Summoning has other benefits that might interest you. Again, more on lores later.

Perception: 20ish. About 20 ranks will get you in/out of most places, with the aid of 402 (Presence) (and patience). YMMV. I like to 1x this, myself.

Climbing/Swimming: 15 ranks each, at a minimum. More if you are averse to falling and/or drowning. I find about 30 ranks each fairly comfortable. You'll need more depending on where you want to hunt in the future. But again...we're talking basics.

First Aid: Zero. You don't need this skill. If you want to be able to skin stuff, you need at least roughly 1x in any combination of Survival/First Aid. In other words, you could have .5x Survival and .5x First Aid and be a reasonably decent skinner. Not good, mind you, but decent.

Spells: Opinions on spells vary widely. For baseline purposes, however, I suggest the following for your level. Remember, this is a starting point, not necessarily "optimal":

Minor Elemental: 40. You currently have 55, which gives you some extra CS/AS/DS from 425 Elemental Targetting (you ARE using 425, right)? You'll eventually want to get this to 75ish. But in my opinion, you're a bit ahead of where you need to be, and that's costing you TPs that might be better spent elsewhere. I hesitate to say "drop them" though, in light of your DS woes. I think once you retrain with a runestaff, however, you'll find you don't need whatever bonuses you're getting from those extra ranks.

Minor Spiritual: 40. This is a good stopping point for now, since you've got Wall of Force and decent bonuses from 102 and 102. Those extra 8 ranks are TPs better spent elsewhere (for now).

Sorcerer: 61. Baseline. If, after all the above is accounted for, you have tons of TPs to toss around and you want to maximize your CS, you could add ranks up to +20 over level. It's not necessary however, especially since you appear to be a dark elf. Your CS should be adequate at 1x.

If I were going to fix-skills to a new build, the above is where I'd start. You can always add skills as you begin to figure out what kind of sorcerer you really want to be. And of course there are plenty of other options available. The above minimum training will probably leave you a little lacking in some areas, but you really should not be having any more DS problems once you ditch the sword and shield and beef up your magical ranks. I think everything else should fall into place for you.

Hope you find this useful. Good luck, and slay many. :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 11:21 AM CST
The advice given so far is good, but as with all advice it comes from one perspective. There is one point on which I disagree with the previous two posters, and I'm voicing it because a large number of other sorcerers agree with me.

I suggest going fully 1x in Physical Training. It will prevent deaths from maneuvers like boil earth, period. You will not be crunched for TPs as a cookie cutter sorcerer, and doing 1x PT isn't onerous in the slightest.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 12:19 PM CST
Ok first off Thank you all here on the message boards and those in game that have been very helpful in figuring this out with me. Second this is what I came up with in the inn so far I still have like 165 PTP left to use with the below listed set up. The only part im still a little fuzzy on is the lores as far as what direction I want to go I have no idea. I played around a bit with a lowbie sorcerer on free account before reactivating this guy and I saw that with necro lore 701 returns some life to me when I use it (not a lot but I was only level 8. Way back when I played 750 was demon summoning but it was never implamented in the 4 and half years of my playing time. So should I just leave it split like it is or change to all in 1 or the other? Before I actually use the fixskills I have I wanted to make sure this looked decent to everyone. Also as a side note thanks to a very helpful sorcerer in game last night I found out I was missing some of my defensive spells IE 713 (new spell to me wasn't in game before) and another one of the elementals, also 103 which cause im staff now I can use. SO I was able to get my DS to 409 and my CS with 425 was up to 339. Not sure what the below changes will do to that.

Ranks P/M (Max) Skill Name Ranks P/M (Max) Skill Name
Armor Skills Magic Skills
1) 11 15/0 (63) Armor Use 26) 61 0/2 (126) Arcane Symbols
2) 0 13/0 (63) Shield Use 27) 60 0/2 (126) Magic Item Use
Weapon Skills 28) 63 0/8 (189) Harness Power
3) 0 6/2 (63) Edged Weapons 29) 121 6/2 (126) Spell Aiming
4) 0 6/2 (63) Blunt Weapons 30) 50 0/3 (126) Mana Control: Elemental
5) 0 14/3 (63) Two-Handed Weapons 31) 50 0/3 (126) Mana Control: Spiritual
6) 0 14/3 (63) Ranged Weapons 32) 0 0/12 (63) Mana Control: Mental
7) 0 9/3 (63) Thrown Weapons Spell Research (189)
8) 0 14/3 (63) Pole Arm Weapons 33) 45 0/32 Minor Elemental
9) 0 10/2 (63) Brawling 34) 45 0/32 Minor Spiritual
Combat Skills 35) 62 0/32 Sorcerer Base
10) 0 12/12 (63) Two Weapon Combat Elemental Lore (126)
11) 0 12/8 (63) Combat Maneuvers 36) 0 0/7 Air
12) 0 15/10 (63) Multi-Opponent Combat 37) 0 0/7 Earth
13) 0 15/14 (63) Ambush 38) 0 0/7 Fire
14) 61 8/0 (63) Physical Training 39) 0 0/7 Water
15) 0 20/20 (63) Dodging Spiritual Lore (126)
40) 0 0/7 Blessings
General Skills 41) 0 0/7 Religion
16) 30 4/0 (63) Climbing 42) 0 0/7 Summoning
17) 30 3/0 (63) Swimming Sorcerous Lore (126)
18) 0 2/6 (63) Disarming Traps 43) 31 0/6 Demonology
19) 0 2/4 (126) Picking Locks 44) 31 0/6 Necromancy
20) 0 5/4 (63) Stalking & Hiding Mental Lore (63)
21) 25 0/3 (126) Perception 45) 0 0/20 Divination
22) 20 2/1 (126) First Aid 46) 0 0/20 Manipulation
23) 0 0/3 (126) Trading 47) 0 0/20 Telepathy
24) 0 3/3 (63) Picking Pockets 48) 0 0/20 Transference
25) 15 3/2 (126) Survival 49) 0 0/20 Transformation
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 12:29 PM CST
<<<I suggest going fully 1x in Physical Training. It will prevent deaths from maneuvers like boil earth, period. You will not be crunched for TPs as a cookie cutter sorcerer, and doing 1x PT isn't onerous in the slightest.>>>

I don't disagree with this at all. I think 1x in PT are points well spent. However, since it's technically possible to get by with less, I decided to list it as "optional". The way to survive without it is by becoming a very effective disabler, making good use of Ewave, Quake, Mind Jolt, Corrupt Essence, and Limb Disrupt, to prevent maneuvers being used against you. Of course, ideally you'd do both, as even the most proactive disabler will eventually get nailed by a boil earth, burrow attack or whatever. Good advice, in any case.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 12:35 PM CST

Bah for some reason the message boards scrunched all my skills up together, really sorry if there hard to read.
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 12:44 PM CST

make it easier for those trying to help me here. Like I said in above post not sure what to do with the Lores yet.

Armor use 11 ranks
Physical training 61 ranks
Climing 30 ranks
Swimming 30 ranks
Perception 25 ranks
first aid 20 ranks
Survival 15 ranks

Arcane sym 61 ranks
Magic item use 61 ranks
Harnness power 63 ranks
Spell Aim 122 ranks
Mana con ele 50 ranks
mana con spi 50 ranks

Spirit spell list 45 ranks
Elemental spell 45 ranks
Sorcer spells 63 ranks

demon lore 31 ranks
necro lore 31 ranks
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 01:17 PM CST

>Armor use 11 ranks

why? what armor are you wearing?
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/04/2014 01:17 PM CST
Your revised training looks pretty solid to me. The only thing I'd question is your Armor Use. I'd pick either 4 ranks for full leather, or 8 ranks for double leather, and stick with that. Anything beyond that is just wasted TPs, in my opinion.

Also, you mentioned adjusting your skills at the inn. But are you familiar with the web skill interface, yet? Just type goals on the command line. You don't have to be at an inn. Might make things a tad easier for you, if it hasn't already. :)

Regarding lores, I think I would lean a bit heavier on the Demonology over the Necromancy. This is for many reasons. I always have a demon around, and demons are better with more lore. I constantly use Planar Shift (740) to get around; far less hazardous with adequate lore. And I often phase boxes for weightless carrying. But I also have about 30 ranks of Necromancy. I have that much mainly for gaining energy with Ensorcell, but it's also useful for Pain, Bloodburst health return, and of course actually animated creatures (I rarely do this).

I think if I had to allocate 1x in lores at your level, I'd go for about 50 ranks demonology and put the rest in Necro. That's fairly arbitrary, based upon my own preferences. If you want more help deciding what lores are right for you, check out this Lore Benefits chart: http://carabele.com/LoreBenefits.htm It's slightly outdated, but still helpful. Note, it doesn't list benefits to Ensorcell at all, so that's something else to consider.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Returning player looking for some help 01/05/2014 07:48 AM CST
Here is what I would do.

Drop armor use to 8 ranks.
Drop Minor Spiritual Circle to 40 ranks.
Drop Minor Elemental Circle to 40 ranks.
Raise Demonology Lore by 19 ranks.
Lower Necromancy Lore by 19 ranks.
Drop all ranks of First Aid.
Raise Sorcerer Spell Circle 10 ranks.

And you actually want to shoot for 21+(not 20+) over you level in Sorcerer Circle. The way the math works the extra spell will give you an extra +1 CS.

At 61 you also might want to move to Ta'Illistim. The hunting progression there is much easier. Start with black forest ogres and vipers, and then move to skull temple in a few levels.

Again this is only my opinion.

Drauz