Runestone Usage 08/10/2013 08:53 PM CDT
Dear Sorcerers,

About how many runestones do you use up/deplete/cause to crumble in a given month? Anecdotal numbers are fine.

Thanks!

Love, Tamuz.

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: Runestone Usage 08/10/2013 09:14 PM CDT
Depends on my month and what I'm doing... if I'm unlocking scrolls I can say I do one for every six spells I unlock when I use a smooth stone (which I do, cuz they're free).

I tend to buy the 2k vakra rune stones the Guild sells for demon refreshing... but those only last 5 charges each...

Considering I hate replacing either of them terribly often, but I did use 3 unlocking stones today unlocking for a friend... when I'm focused on my demonology, it can be one or two a day depending on how long I'm playing... so...

Let's say somewhere in the rage of 5 to 15, depending on how much I get to play/what I do.
Re: Runestone Usage 08/10/2013 09:20 PM CDT

anywhere between 10 and 50
Re: Runestone Usage 08/10/2013 09:21 PM CDT
I go through a bunch, based on scroll recharging and unlocking. By a bunch, I mean probably in the low double digit range. 25ish or so. Since I don't do demons very much, I almost never crumble those runestones.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Runestone Usage 08/10/2013 09:51 PM CDT
Zero... I don't have much use for scrolls and I'm not enough of a masochist to mess with illusions training so I can keep a demon around.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Runestone Usage 08/10/2013 10:20 PM CDT
Three to five.

Doug
Re: Runestone Usage 08/11/2013 12:44 PM CDT
Zero. Keeping my demon outside town annoys me and it's taking forever to advance through the sorcerer guild because of no automated reps.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Runestone Usage 08/11/2013 02:07 PM CDT
So I'm hearing in the 15 to 25 range a month for those of you who do use runestones.

Anyone else want to chime in?

___
Re: Runestone Usage 08/11/2013 02:27 PM CDT
I probably use about 6 per month.
Re: Runestone Usage 08/11/2013 04:23 PM CDT
So I'm hearing in the 15 to 25 range a month for those of you who do use runestones.

Just so we are clear, and since I don't know what you are looking into, it's not the actual silver cost of the runestones that qualifies as a PITA; it's the other componeents that come along with it, to include the ink bottles, the brushes, the water cups, etc... that most sorcs (who do bother with scroll unlocking) keep around to make more runestones when needed that are the biggest PITA. It all adds to the overall component load which is probably one of the biggest things us sorcs complain about.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

Re: Runestone Usage 08/11/2013 05:17 PM CDT

I'll go through about a dozen a month.

-Puppet master of Borgodden aka Parrasite
Re: Runestone Usage 08/11/2013 10:11 PM CDT
one other thing that is going to throw the numbers off is how many people make use of runestones.
l

I know many sorcerers dont bother with 714 or 725. Heck it wasnt until Malisai was in the Rift and moved to icemule that he used 725 at all since its PITA for illusions or keep telling it to stop and follow. I just spend the money to buy runestones. by the time you factor in the potion cost, then having to keep the brush,paint..etc its worth it just to buy the runestones. I would go through a good bit of them since the vakra rune only lasts a bit over one hour 45ish and has 5 or so charges. the actual summoning runes tend to last a bit longer but only because once i have a demon i tend to try to keep them.

I dont use 714 because of the runestones and also because I normally hunt the Rift so having slews of outside spells doesnt help me.

Player of Malisai
Re: Runestone Usage 08/12/2013 05:16 AM CDT
When I'm charging scrolls, I can go through anywhere from 3 to 12 runestones in a single day.

One quiss'fyn unlocks 6 spells (if you make them yourself). Basically, all the unlocking runes (beiron'fyn, ikar'fyn, erikar'fyn, and quiss'fyn) are royal pains because they simply crumble too fast, bringing your infusing session to an annoying halt.

The ag'loenar (charging) and odeir'cos (reading) runes seem to last a reasonable amount of time. Demon runes don't get used as frequently, so only rarely need to be replaced. Vakras are adequate as long as I make two at a time and keep a spare.

You get a lot more runestone mileage out of making them yourself with smooth stones, especially if you can also make your own aish'vrak potions. Unfortunately, I go through runestones a lot faster than I can find reagents for aish'vrak potions, so I wind up buying them. Scroll infusion is definitely not cheap.

I really don't mind the process much. I think it's rather delightful, actually, even though I might not express this opinion when I'm in the middle of an infusing session and suddenly have to drop everything to go make more runestones. This is exacerbated somewhat by the fact that I first dye all my stones for easier handling.

I think the process could be improved in two simple ways. One, make the unlocking runes last much longer; at least double, maybe quadruple the number of charges currently.

Two, do away with "rinsing cups". I mean...it just seems like such a trivial part of the process, doesn't it? There are lots of things we do in the game that don't really need to be brought to light, or we'd never get any actual adventuring done. Rinsing the bristles of a little paintbrush before applying more ink may be one of them. Simply removing rinsing from the process would result in a pretty significant net savings in time, inventory and inconvenience.

Sometimes simple, small changes can make a world of difference. It's a good system, and actually rather enjoyable in most respects. A couple little tweaks for convenience sake would make me happy.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Runestone Usage 08/12/2013 07:52 AM CDT
I would say the 15 to 25 figure is fairly accurate for me as well.

-Syb
Re: Runestone Usage 08/12/2013 01:27 PM CDT
>Two, do away with "rinsing cups". I mean...it just seems like such a trivial part of the process, doesn't it? There are lots of things we do in the game that don't really need to be brought to light, or we'd never get any actual adventuring done. Rinsing the bristles of a little paintbrush before applying more ink may be one of them. Simply removing rinsing from the process would result in a pretty significant net savings in time, inventory and inconvenience. - Heathyr

This. Oh, yes, this. Rinsing brushes is one of the most irritating and the dumbest concessions to realism that GemStone has ever conceived of. Please, get rid of it.

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: Runestone Usage 08/12/2013 09:06 PM CDT
This. Oh, yes, this. Rinsing brushes is one of the most irritating and the dumbest concessions to realism that GemStone has ever conceived of. Please, get rid of it.

Word. While we're at it, get rid of inking brushes. I can make a highly magical item (ensorcell), other folk can make super weapons up to 7x (wizards), and we can summon demons and voids of doom, but nobody can manage to make a self inking brush?

-Taakhooshi, and Me

Re: Runestone Usage 08/13/2013 01:01 AM CDT
Perhaps an application not unlike the wizard temper potion.

The wizard temper potion, with appropriate chants and actions, causes the runes to be on briefly visible on the item being enchanted. Perhaps the sorcerer preparation potion could be altered to serve the purpose, and do away with brush / ink / flask in total for this purpose with sorcery.

Example:

You pour your potion on the smooth stone.
1d100: 33 + Modifiers: 234 == 267
As the liquid coats the surface of the smooth stone, green-blue smoke rises into air surrounding it, dancing around your fingers as you gesture over it with a soft incantation spilling from your lips. Small runic symbols flare to life on the surface of the smooth stone, their blurry edges wavering in response to the cadence of your voice and the liquid in these areas absorbing quickly beneath the surface. When the last of the liquid has vanished, the symbols solidify into the rune you envisioned inscribing.

Transposed from the standard result of an enchanting pour as recorded on KP: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Enchant_Item_%28925%29

Doug
Re: Runestone Usage 08/31/2013 02:13 PM CDT
Wouldn't want you to think this discussion had died off, was just waiting to get something out of QC.

Might want to take a gander at this: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Quests%60Sagas%60Events/Ebon%20Gate%20Festival/view/4819?force_expansion=true

___
Re: Runestone Usage 08/31/2013 02:39 PM CDT
<<<Might want to take a gander at this:>>>

Very cool! Thank you Tamuz! :)

~ Heathyr, counting the number of "amazing new runestone transmogrification and spiffyness inducers" (ANRiTASIs?) she'll need to buy...

PS: Great product. The name may need a little work...
Re: Runestone Usage 08/31/2013 02:41 PM CDT
Yep, liking it. A lot.

Doug
Re: Runestone Usage 08/31/2013 02:43 PM CDT

Very cool. I know I love my ranger imbue box(es)